Discussion: Trump Announces Tariffs On Steel, Aluminum Imports For 'A Long Period'

1 Like

Has Trump Enterprises ever used American steel and aluminum for their resort projects?

25 Likes

Stupid. The regime is making the assumption that other countries won’t retaliate.

26 Likes

The world watches spellbound.

7 Likes

“Of Trump’s last three construction projects, the first to use Chinese steel was Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, which opened in 2008. That the manufacturer is from China is not immediately evident; this fact is hidden within a chain of various corporate entities, including holding companies registered in the British Virgin Islands.”

13 Likes

Burly Bob can get you some great Panama steel rolls. Knock twice and bark like a Chihuahua. Tell them Hector sent you.

10 Likes

Chaos reigns supreme.

7 Likes

Tariffs on imports, particularly substantial levies like those proposed by Trump, have three impacts:

1. Over the short run, impacted countries slap retaliatory tariffs charges against American products and services.

2. Prices to American consumers increase since price hikes caused by tariffs are always flowed through.

3. Higher prices caused by a trade war and decreased exports lead to inflation and a recession.

A recession later this year is now far more likely than it was yesterday.

33 Likes

That’s OK. It will be the Democrat’s fault.

11 Likes

Let’s all blame Obama and Hillary.

11 Likes

He can still change his pathetic excuse for a mind. You know, Don, he’s such a kidder!

2 Likes

Hillary keyed my car in the Kroger lot. I know it was her because it was disgusting.

14 Likes

I disagree. Don the Con has two actual policy positions. First, he’s a racist. Second, he hates free trade.

15 Likes

I woke up wlth a headache today. I KNOW it’s Hillary’s fault.

6 Likes

brilliant

4 Likes

Exactly.

Except when he’s not*, and when he doesn’t. Other than that, he’s as solid as Ayers Rock.

*ETA - he’s never not racist, he’s just the least racist person you’ll ever talk to, that he can tell you.

5 Likes

This administration cannot come up with a coherent policy on trade. The other day Bloomberg reported this: Mnuchin Says Trump ‘Willing’ to Negotiate U.S. Return to TPP

12 Likes

So will China retaliate in an asymmetrical way? Like not buying US debt? Glad the best and brightest in the WH are on top of this!

11 Likes

Thank FSM, there weren’t any tariffs on Slovenian “Einsteins” back in 2001…

6 Likes

IIRC, the steel industry uses a lot of energy for heating/melting the steel, etc. Is it possible this is one way in which he plans to “revitalize” the coal industry? I don’t know much about the infrastructure for energy use in the steel industry. Would there be an advantage using one form of energy over another?

5 Likes