Discussion: The Mystery Of The Fake Invoices That Keep Popping Up In The Manafort Trial

3 Likes

11th paragraph says that Manafort pleaded guilty to all charges. Is that a typo?

8 Likes

The Mystery Of The Fake Invoices That Keep Popping Up In The Manafort Trial

I can clear it up for y’all. It is prima facie evidence of money laundering. Let’s hope that Trump’s name/companies appear here in a prominent way. That would be fun!

51 Likes

Did Manafort pay for his apartment in Trump Tower in Rubles?

21 Likes

We once had a person in HR who used a fancy computer program – Word – to create fake invoices. She was fired for embezzlement.

Boy, that money has been laundered so many times it must be germ-free.

41 Likes

Manafort can’t win. He, like trump, thinks money will defend him…makes him better than the opposition.
trump thinks he’s smarter, richer and a better deal maker than Mueller but this time the opposition isn’t a person but rather…a law. No matter what trump does, what tweet he sends or blather he bellows during a sit down with Mueller it won’t change what is written in a law.

31 Likes

So Gates was stealing from Manafort, and not content with that, he rats on him in court?

That’s who his mother had in mind when she talk about bad company.

6 Likes

From fake news to fake invoices.

12 Likes

Talk about burying the lede!

5 Likes

That’s Manafort’s defense… that Gates stole all the money… yet manafort could buy alla that expensive finery, real estate, rugs and such. Makes on scratch the head a bit.

22 Likes

Following paragraph: “However, there also signs” should be copyedited to “However, there are also signs.”

Well, trump did say we should not believe anything we read, see or hear.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-kansas-city-1984-quote_us_5b57761de4b0fd5c73c99a85

15 Likes

The Mystery Of The Fake Invoices Wasn’t that a Nancy Drew book or maybe The Hardy Boys?

26 Likes

The fake invoice is a standard Russian thing.

11 Likes

I don’t buy Cilizza’s theory. I doubt Trump ever intended to submit to an interview with Mueller.

11 Likes

The real companies weren’t paid, but if that money got paid to someone else the prosecution would have a pretty airtight case.

30 Likes

Well, it’s tax fraud. Manafort received millions of dollars worth of goods and services which is passive income that is taxable. Faking invoices proves the fraud as opposed to simple oversight.

37 Likes

Yes, he does think he is a better male than Muller. Bigly hands, and all that.

Trump’s real problem is that he has been using this I scream queen approach to domineering for so long, he has a hard time realizing that Muller doesn’t hang on Trump’s every tweet, except perhaps to store them in a file marked “Treason”. Trump as a person is barely on Muller’s horizon except as a mafiosi bacteria he is about to disinfect from the body politic. Muller is a professional, something Donnie can not understand at all.

16 Likes

Obviously, Gates bought all those items and forged Manafort’s name to the invoice.

8 Likes

My understanding is the vendors never heard of Gates. They dealt with Manfort.

14 Likes