Discussion: Steve King Shares Meme Speculating About 'Another Civil War'

Whenever I see this sort of thing, it’s always implicit that law enforcement will not prevent the Right from shooting those they disagree with. As if the “war” will be more like a turkey shoot where Democrats are the birds. Add to that a president who openly calls our democracy rigged, feeding the narrative that only violence can deliver the outcomes they want. It’s a god damned mess, but they are being emboldened. Exhorted.

3 Likes

She’s got it going on - I like her too personally. I’ve gotten mad as hell at her before because she has her agenda I don’t always agree with it.

I don’t think this is going to turn out like she thinks it is. Fox will taint her rather than her elevating Fox.

6 Likes

10-15% might.

Yes, I think it’s much more likely they’re using her to be the scary black woman who is scary than any interest in bringing in more substantive discussion.

They wouldn’t be watching Fox if they were at all open to hearing from the other side.

7 Likes

If Fox viewers were vulnerable to facts and logic, there wouldn’t be any Fox viewers.

10 Likes

Texas is not the worst moocher, but it isn’t an exception, either. Texans take $1.50 for each dollar they contribute to the federal budget. (South Carolina, the moochiest, takes $8.00.)

Only fourteen states contribute more than they take: Delaware, Minnesota, Illinois, Nebraska, Ohio, Kansas, New York, Colorado, Utah, New Jersey, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Massachusetts, and California. (You can decide which of these states are “red.” I’ve ranked them with the worst deal at the top: it’s Delaware, whereas California and Massachusetts are nearly at parity. My numbers are about six years old.)

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s the “economic anxiety.” That’s what it is.

And don’t tell me I’m an effete urbanist. I’m born and raised rural. And not just any rural, rural Kentucky, the gun-nuttiest state in the union that isn’t Texas. Farms, pastures and second-growth forests were my playground. Part of me lives in that setting, and will forever, even though most of them are suburban housing developments now because Kentuckians think zoning is a communist plot. And I know the rural mindset, particularly the Appalachian flavor, like it’s family, because it is.

And I’m here to tell you that those people don’t give jack shit about policy. No amount of government assistance, no amount of improvement in their lives and the life of their community due to wise policy will change them. Any improvement will be attributed to their own moral fiber and bootstrapping, to the extent that it’s even perceived. Other people receiving direct assistance will continue to be objects of scorn and disdain. And as long as Fox News is there playing on every public TV and most of the homes, pumping the hate and fear, the racism, misogyny and xenophobia, the cultivated narrowness of vision they associate with kids staying at home and not getting above themselves, they’ll vote Republican.

We need to help them because it’s the right thing to do. But we’re fooling ourselves if believe they will ever, ever, ever be grateful and vote to keep it.

Apropos of nothing, incidentally, I increasingly fixate on how math illiteracy seems to lie at the root of every form of mass stupidity. And thus I am struck by King’s evident belief that a) all 400 million guns are exclusively found in what he’s denominated as the states of the Renewed CSA and, b) that the owners of said shootin’ irons, each of whom are statistically likely to have multiple guns, have 20,000 rounds, that’s 400 fifty round boxes, of ammo piled up for each of their guns.

That’s about $5,000 worth of ammunition, give or take, depending on the round, per gun. So, if your a five gun family, that means you’ve got maybe $1200 invested in your guns and a whopping $25k invested in ammo.

No wonder they’re all broke.

17 Likes

They may be watching for a variety of reasons. Maybe their spouse/ parents wants it on and they are basically forced to watch or listen. Many business have it on and people are exposed to it that way. It never hurts to step out of the bubble if you’re good at what you do and are articulate. Stephanie Cutter was both. I just hate to see supposed liberals like Colmes doing more damage than good on Fox. I realize he’s gone, but he had to know Fox was using him to stereotype liberals.

Great just what America doesn’t need. The US Civil War had 680,000 dead. The south is tied to the US Government. They would have to guard the US border. Lose all Government installations. Social Security, Medicare, Food stamps, disaster relief, farm subsidies, & any money from the US.

2 Likes

:thinking:

12 Likes

Businesses who have it on may or may not find themselves the victims of the wonderful “TV Kill” universal remote app, a stealth weapon in the information war all Fox-haters should own.

1 Like

Remember Juan Williams.

FOX is the place where smart people go to collect big paychecks and never be taken seriously again. They are going to make her look foolish because they have the final cut.

8 Likes

If they come up with an app that stealthily changes the channel to CNN and locks out Fox, I’m in.

10 Likes

Holy fuck.

6 Likes

White supremacy in action.

4 Likes

California might be the chest with the beating heart since Governor Newsom made a chutzpah move issuing a moratorium on the death penalty. Bold, forward looking and morally courageous.

3 Likes

As long as schools keep Gone With The Wind on required reading lists, the kids will never learn.

5 Likes

the height of hubris … the knuckle-draggers crowing about the number of bullets that they have - hell they should be counting musket balls … if a real all out “civil war” broke out - …

it would be a real all out state of anarchy - and what the knuckle-draggers are incapable of comprehending is that there will be more than enough furiously angry geeks & nerds who will be enraged at the knuckle-draggers …and they will hack things - dangerous - destructive - devastating - things and will be indescribably wreaking havoc and annihilation - of course the knuckle draggers think they will do just fine - 'cause they fantasize that they are expert wilderness survivors … but they will be dying right and left - just like everybody else

2 Likes

She was a hot mess on Maher the other night, sandwiched between Rick Wilson and Claire McCaskill and trying to keep up. I’ll second @pluckyinky 's description: no substantive discussion.

4 Likes

Yeah not a few liberals are as heavily armed as the right. I have a friend in Albuquerque who could arm a small militia himself. He’s hardly the only one.

Do they really believe we are all Birkenstock wearing vegans? We’re not.

@littlegirlblue - Yeah I agree with you and plucky both about this. I think Brazile has fucked up. Not for the first time, either.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available