Discussion: State Parties Trying To Make It Harder For Trump To Get On GOP Primary Ballot

Discussion for article #239756

The Republican parties in Virginia and North Carolina are both considering forcing candidates to sign a pledge that they will not run as an independent in order to qualify for the GOP primary ballot, according to Politico. The move could either keep Trump off of the ballot or keep him from launching an independent bid if he loses the Republican nomination.

Is that even legal? (Serious question.) Regardless, it does show just how terrified the GOP is of Trump.

26 Likes

Very likely not. Even if it is, it could severely bankrupt the state parties by causing Trump to sue them over it and that would then drain them of a lot of funds.

13 Likes

ā€¦ the pledge to support the eventual Republican nominee ā€œisnā€™t about any single candidate.ā€ ā€¦ ā€œIt happens to be one of the things that we are discussing for the 2016 primary.ā€

Hardy-har-har

21 Likes

Think of it as a ā€˜Voter ID Lawā€™ for the GOP candidates. That way itā€™s more palatable for the rest of the party to support.

23 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing at all to keep Trump from agreeing up front to support the GOP nominee, and then backing off that agreement and running as a third party candidate over some imagined slight or disrespect from the party should he not get the nomination.
If the state parties think they can keep that from happening theyā€™re living in a dream worldā€¦Trump plays by his own rules.

22 Likes

Republicans, why is making voting more difficult always the go-to answer when theyā€™re in trouble?

19 Likes

forcing candidates to sign a pledge

They could possibly force Donaldā€™s servants to use PledgeĀ® on all Trump furnishings while stoking monstrous furyā€¦

6 Likes

But but butā€¦I thought Rich Promise said that he was Okay with Donnieā€¦

3 Likes

In typical GOP fashion, when voters arenā€™t voting the way the GOP wants, make it harder for them to vote for the person they want.

41 Likes

THis PLUS MAKIng IT HARDer fOR BLACKS, MEXIcan ANCHOR BAbies, and COLLEge STUDENTs to VOTE wiLL ENSUre A PERmenant REPUBLICAN MAjoritY FOREVER!1!1!!1!!!one!!1!!!

11 Likes

Weā€™ll see how serious Trumpā€¦man, I am so sick of that name! Sorry, got sidetrackedā€¦he should just declare a third party nomination now, and stick it to the GOP for being dicks. I actually think, if he does it now, it will gain momentum for him. I suppose I just want to see the GOP leadership cry and cryā€¦and cry. Plus, with him on an independent ticket, we get a dem in the white house for sure. So, even better!

1 Like

Instead of trying to take Trump off the ballot, how about putting out some candidates that arenā€™t lunatics who only appeal to about 20% of the country. Or better yet, how about not cultivating a culture of lunacy in the first place?

29 Likes

The party of Free Markets hates The Free Market more than I hate clamshell packaging AND Rachel Rayā€¦COMBINED!!!

10 Likes

Doubtful. Even it were framed as a contract between Trump and the G.O.P., I think you could make a good argument that the contract is contrary to public policy, and is, therefore, unenforceable.

2 Likes

I was just saying how much disdain I have for Rachel Ray the other day! Weirrrrrd! Everytime I hear her speak, I want to send her throat lozenges!

2 Likes

Does she still have that show where she goes and eats at different mom and pop joints and saves money by tipping like sheā€™s on her last nickle?

4 Likes

Virginia GOP Chairman John Whitbeck told Politico that the pledge to support the eventual Republican nominee ā€œisnā€™t about any single candidate.ā€

could be rick ā€œbarn-owlā€ perry or ā€œopie deiā€ rick santorum. you know, guys like that with their 1-2% following. hmm. am i leaving anybody else out?

3 Likes

Too late. The chickens have come home to roost, fellas.

5 Likes