Discussion: State ACLU Director Resigns Over Group's Support For Trans Rights

This is not about transgender rights, it’s about the right of little girls to have safety and privacy. Regardless, President Obama reaching down into a million public school bathrooms to arbitrarily dictate new sexual norms will fail. It will make forced busing look like a picnic.

3 Likes

I think things have evolved a bit but for a long time some Black people couldn’t see that “civil rights” goes beyond race. Obviously not all of us are this shallow but I think the concept of transgendered rights may very well take as long as gay rights to be accepted.

4 Likes

See it all the time. Nothing an oppressed minority likes better than another one even farther down the ladder.

And she got to be on the teevee!

3 Likes

Ms. Smith, when I was in elementary school in the 1960s, I was in a mall restroom when three African-American men walked into a public restroom. As I grew up in a completely white community, I was visibly frightened and concerned about my safety. Later, I asked my parents questions that they, as racists, were ill-equipped to answer.

As I recall, African-Americans were not subsequently banned from using that restroom merely because of my personal discomfort.

20 Likes

What unmitigated horseshit.

Trans women look, act, and feel like women, whether they’re 12 or 20 or 60. They do not interfere with anyone’s privacy or security in a restroom.

They pose no threat to anyone in any restroom—and never have done.

President Obama responded to inquiries from school systems all over America, and provided guidance on how the federal government interprets the law as it regards the rights of trans people.
Nothing was arbitrarily dictated, and there are no new sexual norms.
Transsexualism is a gender issue, not a sex issue.

You are woefully ill-informed—and not a little bit bigoted.
A smart person would be ashamed to post what you posted.

18 Likes

Subtle snark is such a rich form of commentary. Kudos.

4 Likes

Well, and that’s the rub, isn’t it?

She doesn’t see that the supposed argument she’s making for herself and her kids can also be made against her. She still needs to come to grips with the idea that “civil rights” must be for all and not just some.

6 Likes

What makes transgender people’s use of the rest rooms unsafe for women and little girls? Why were her kids afraid of tall women with deep voices when she doesn’t even know if they were transgender.

8 Likes

You think her kids are frightened now…

1 Like

Do you seriously think that you can limit opening the girl’s bathroom door only to boys who think they are girls? What you’re really advocating is that anybody can go into any bathroom, which I think is a bad thing. And if calling me a bigot helps you deal with that, feel free. Ad hominem doesn’t help your argument, as any supposedly “smart person” would know.

Because it opens the door to any male.

About ten seconds after they were told it should be an issue for them. It’s how the right-wing mind rolls. Because that truly is the thing. Do these people imagine that transgendered people have just been holding it until they could get home all this time?

I don’t know what this woman’s issue is, whether she’s a rape survivor who was traumatized by the idea of sharing a restroom with a large trans woman or whether it was because her kids were asking questions and she was embarrassed not to have answers. In the former case, I’m really not in a position to gainsay the legitimacy of her feelings other than to note that an awful lot of trans women are the victims of sexual assault as well and are going to be a hell of lot more uncomfortable going into a men’s room than she can imagine.

In the latter case, however, she needs to GTFOI, educate herself and educate her kids.

10 Likes

Too bad not a single thing you posted is accurate.

9 Likes

There ya go.

6 Likes

As a mother, this whole story doesn’t pass the smell test for me. Seems contrived, well rehearsed to fit her bias.

11 Likes

Where do you think they’ve been going to the bathroom all along? Do you imagine that there were no transgendered women until 2016, or do you just think they’ve been holding it all this time?

And for crikey’s sake, what is it you think is going to happen? The women’s room is the one where everyone gets to do their business in the privacy of their own stall with a locking door. It’s the men’s room where the junk gets exposed.

12 Likes

I hear you, but I honestly doubt that any boy or man will self-identify as trans (and subject themselves to North Carolina harassment) for the ‘right’ to enter a woman’s bathroom.

5 Likes

Except it doesn’t, neither historically or under the “new” bathroom guidance which is really no different than what it has always been. You have been in the bathroom with trans people and never knew it.

This is entirely a “solution” in search of a fictional “problem” and being exploited as a desperate ploy to get the socially “conservative” voting block spun up and willing to overlook the fascist heading up the GOP ticket and pull the lever in a fabricated fear-based reaction.

To say nothing about how the NC law is actually a trojan horse designed to gut civil rights laws and protections at the local level. That a black woman from eh ACLU is too stupid to see this, only underscores how this person was ill-suited for the position she has resigned from and should find a new line of work.

15 Likes

You seem not to have grasped what transgender is all about. It’s not about boys/girls who think they are girls/boys. It’s about boys/girls who know they are girls/boys. The thinking about it part is long over with.

11 Likes

“For crikey’s sake”, when are you folks going to understand that it’s not the transgendered, it’s the male predators. You’re advocating increasing the access of male predators to little girls.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available