Discussion: State ACLU Director Resigns Over Group's Support For Trans Rights

Civil liberties for me, but not for thee.

24 Likes

Seems like resigning is the right thing to do if she is having such difficulty resolving her ethical dilemma around this issue. But these bathroom bills have nothing to do with protecting women, children, or girls. She could at least be honest about her bias and admit that she has drunk the Anti-Trans Kool-Aid. To have been a fly on the wall to hear her air her skepticism.

24 Likes

Once again…

35 Likes

This just kills me transgender people have been around for years using whatever bathroom they wanted and no u got folks all of sudden thinking its a problem. If u ask these folks who are causing uproar about this when did it start becoming an issue with you?

17 Likes

Well, in the real world, sharing a restroom with a Republican Senator has proven to be a higher risk than with LGBT folks…after all, unlike Larry, they usually there to use the facilities.

31 Likes

Was it before or the nc thing came about cause you sure as hell didn’t come to having a problem with it all on your own

6 Likes

“I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,” she said in the statement. “My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer.”

Amazing how this woman’s parenting discomfort makes her go against the core principles of her employer. How about, as a director of the ACLU, you educate yourself a bit.

14 Likes

“I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,” she said in the statement. “My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer.”

Full disclosure: I’m not a parent but this just doesn’t pass the laugh test for me. As an educated woman (supposedly) who’s had experience defending the rights of others, I’m not clear why she was “ill-prepared” for an answer on transgendered rights. Gotta say, I’m glad as hell she’s gone. At least, there’s no conflict inside the State ACLU on this issue.

25 Likes

Something seems fishy. How long before we find out that someone from Liberty Console or Alliance Defending Freedumb pushed her to do this?

4 Likes

Apparently, some people’s rights are worthy of defending. The others, are just pervs.

“I certainly felt like there is not an opportunity to have robust discourse on the competing civil rights that are implicated,” Smith told Fox News’ Megyn Kelly Thursday night.

What discourse is she looking to have?

And why does she believe that some civil rights compete with others? Does this stupid b*tch really not understand how this comes across as a Black person??

4 Likes

"I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,”

How are they always so sure? Do transgendered people in the south have big signs over their heads? Do they have big Get Used To It badges? Do the southern states make them wear pink patches so that ye may know them?
How does she know it wasn’t 3 women? Or 3 men?

Or is she just making this shit up because it fits her personal beliefs/prejudices?

19 Likes

She’s either lying, or she has no idea what Trans people are like.
Or both.

18 Likes

I’m sorry, maybe I’m missing it, but what is scary about a women over 6’ and with a deep voice? It isn’t like there aren’t tall deep voiced cisgendered women, what would she tell her kids in that situation? To not be judgmental of people that happen to look/sound different? Maybe she should try that if she was ill prepared to provide a more in depth explanation.

Edit: Sorry, that quote came out weird, but just to be clear I was quoting dalinker’s quote of the article not dalinker.

14 Likes

TPM:

"I have shared my personal experience of having taken my elementary school age daughters into a women’s restroom when shortly after three transgender young adults over six feet with deep voices entered,” she said in the statement.

Color me skeptical.

19 Likes

"If our goal is to advance the rights of equality of transgender folk, how do we do that, and advance the rights of all people?”

So this black woman’s response to the transgender community was “All lives matter”?

I’m glad she’s unemployed.

13 Likes

““My children were visibly frightened, concerned about their safety and left asking lots of questions for which I, like many parents, was ill-prepared to answer.”"

Translation: I was pissed that my kids asked questions because I didn’t want to just tell them the truth about the world around them.

13 Likes

“My children were visibly frightened.”

Just curious who taught your children the gender stereotypes behind their fears.

Must’ve been some complete stranger.

27 Likes

People in the South are still upset their right to cheaply harvested cotton was so tragically violated and infringed. That and an entire category of usage for rope was taken from them.

4 Likes

That is a strange position for a member of the ACLU but it is the new business model for the conservative movement. Social conservatives were routinely losing the legal battle over picketing in front of abortion clinics until they reframed the issue as the exercise of their 1st Amendment right to free speech. They had measurable success in the abortion fight and are now framing other social issues, most recently gay marriage and LGBT rights in general, as a violation of RFRA and their 1st Amendment freedom of religion. Just another reason why it’s so important to replace Scalia with a justice who is not a closet theocrat.

16 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available