Discussion: Spectacular Fail: House Votes Down GOP Bill To Avert DHS Shutdown

Let me tweak that: only accountable to one very narrow, extreme constituency.

2 Likes

This shows how difficult it must be for Republican leaders to calculate just the right amount of crazy. Too much crazy and mainstream slightly sane Repubs won’t vote for it, not enough crazy and the Tea Party won’t vote for it. It’s hard out there for a Speaker.

7 Likes
We don't have the Senate

Well, actually, you do.

Embarrassing.

9 Likes

THIS! We still have years of repercussions to go from that 2010 election

3 Likes

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahah!!!

3 Likes

For my opinion, I think the members of the House should not get paid as long as the employees of DHS aren’t paid. This was republican governance folks
My 6 yr old grandson has more sense than these clowns

21 Likes

The Republican caucus is being run like a parliament. There are little rump parties cobbled together to create a majority. Boehner would be wise to grab some Democrats and govern from the center, but the Koch brothers and Karl Rove won’t let him.

6 Likes

Don’t blame this on gerrymandering, blame it on the lazy democrats who didn’t think it important to vote.

3 Likes

Hardly. Both parties have been gerrymandering since forever, but over the last 20 years R’s have realized that the long term demographic trends is going to kill them. So, wherever they control the means to change the rules, they have taken gerrymandering to a new extreme, locking in majority GOP representation in the US House. Voters do what they always do, but subversion of democratic systems falls squarely on politicians.

Nope. If you actually understand how GOP-contolled states have created a stranglehold on the House, you then understand there’s no number of Dem/liberal voters that could ever have changed the balance of power in the House.

18 Likes

If DHS shuts down, they should close the borders, stop all international trade, halt all international flights, furlough all ICE agents, etc. The business of continuing “emergency” operations hides the real costs of this Rethuglican bullshit and conceals from Americans all the good that gov’t does for them in their everyday lives.

And of course people are apathetic; aside from police/military, roads, and garbage collection, most of what the gov’t does is essentially invisible. We are also dealing with the effects of a 40+ year campaign by Rethugs to portray the gov’t as the problem. Let’s let the gov’t really shut down so that people can see what the gov’t does for them and then maybe they won’t be so apathetic.

24 Likes

We can’t achieve a complete victory in Congress. We don’t have the Senate. The president does have a veto.

I’m sorry. Did I miss where Harry Reid became majority leader again?

8 Likes

Cheat and cheat and cheat and cheat and STILL lose…you gotta hand it to 'em, they’re consistent, dangerous but consistent.

7 Likes

Such a bill would pass, no question–but it would pass with Democratic votes. Even putting it up for a vote, though, would make the crazy folks, well, crazy, and what would come to pass de jure is what we all know to be true, de facto: Boehner would lose his Speakership.

Now we’ll see which Boehner loves more: genuine, sincere governance; or his Speaker’s gavel.

2 Likes

“And on the count of three, we’ll all step on our own dicks. Ready? One…Two…Three!”

6 Likes

If possible, I would make 300 million copies of what you just wrote and have them as commonly seen as a stop sign on an intersection.

EVIL TRIUMPHS WHEN GOOD MEN DO NOTHING.

We will never know who the no-shows were, but I suspect it will be similar to those who admit to being racist, on the Republican side. Deniability is sometimes more aggressively broached than responsibility.

2 Likes

Thank you.

While people are busy blaming Dems for not turning out (which has some fairness to it, because they are great at turning out for national elections, and craptacular at turning out for midterms), they neglect to consider the stranglehold Republicans have on statehouses across the country.

It ain’t the national GOP drawing those congressional districts–it’s the locals.

6 Likes

If I had any confidence that the Department of Homeland Security was in any way critical to our genuine security, I’d be outraged.

8 Likes

I definitely agree with you.

Bohener = C-LO-W-N.Now bend over and kiss your own A$$.

Go ahead and make 3 million copies, but you’re ignoring a much more critical factor: Republicans control statehouses, and did, in 2010. It’s not the national Rs who determine districts, it’s the locals.