Discussion: Sessions Won't Say Whether He's Recused From Michael Cohen Probe

2 Likes

“Senator Leahy, that calls for a speculative answer, your question calls for speculation. I am not able to do that,” Sessions said.

That may be, but have you recused yourself? That’s a simple yes or no, and hardly speculative.

10 Likes

Still the same old imp.

3 Likes

I’d love to see Mueller’s team feed Sessions a false story that they had come into possession of a Russian-made video of Trump having sex with two donkeys and a 450-lb. incontinent drag queen dressed like Ivanka.

6 Likes

“Senator Leahy, that calls for a speculative answer, your question calls for speculation. I am not able to do that,” Sessions said.

its like 2017’ wants to say hi.

5 Likes

“Attorney General Jeff Sessions declined to say Wednesday whether he has recused himself from the federal probe into President Trump’s personal attorney Michael Cohen.”

“I can’t recall.”

13 Likes

You mean that story isn’t true?

6 Likes

that calls for a speculative answer” was in reply to whether he’d quit if Spanky fired Rosenstein.

His response to whether he’d recused himself was “The best answer for me, having given it some thought, is to say I should not announce that”. Which is a frickin’ weird response but different from calling it speculative.

1 Like

“The best answer for me, having given it some thought, is to say I should not announce that,” Sessions told Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), who asked the attorney general whether he was recused [from the Cohen investigation] at a Senate Appropriations subcommittee hearing.

Best because, if you say “Yes,” Trump will be pissed off; and, if you say “No,” you will be criticized by others for not doing the obvious in order to be consistent and follow guidelines.

“Telling you what I’d do under specific circumstances would be speculative. I guess I just don’t know myself very well or my principles change with the wind or something.”

So many ways not to answer questions.

6 Likes

Ronny Jackson will drink to that.

12 Likes

He said something similar during his confirmation hearing.

2 Likes

Okay, Attorney General Sessions, I’m going to count to three, if the answer is yes, you’ve recused yourself, hang up the phone. If the answer is no, you haven’t recused yourself, then stay on the line. Okay? Hello? Attorney General Sessions? Is that clear?..Hello?

6 Likes

Sounds to me like whats happening here is that obviously, he’s no longer actually the Attorney General and Orrin Hatch is now the president.

1 Like

The answer is probably yes, he recused himself from the Cohen investigation (a no-brainer), but doesn’t want Trump to know.

3 Likes

Ah, but it isn’t a simple yes or no answer in this case. That’s what we learn from Sessions’ evasion of the question. If he can’t say whether he has recused himself from the Cohen investigation or not, that means he is recused with respect to some aspects of that investigation and not with respect to others. He can’t explain that without revealing more about the ongoing investigation than would be appropriate and so he ducks the question.

The idea that the Cohen probe had nothing to do with Russia was always implausible. Now it’s absurd. Some of that probe is within the scope of Sessions’ recusal.

2 Likes

“The best answer for me, having given it some thought, is to say I should not announce that”

Apparently, Jeff has devoted time to mastering some weasel words.
I suppose the advantage is that, unlike when he answered Franken, he won’t have to amend his testimony. Or risk being brought up on charges.

3 Likes

I think the real video had two llamas.

1 Like

The Washington Post reported that Sessions floated the possibility that he might quit if Rosenstein was fired in a phone call with White House counsel Don McGahn.

But, what if Rosenstein were fired in some other manner, you know, other than in a phone call?

You’re mistaken. It was a pushmi-pullyu:

Precisely!

Hence his having qualified his answer as being the best answer “for me.”

1 Like