Discussion: Sessions Mystery: How Did Comey Know AG Would Have To Recuse Himself?

1 Like

Trump seems to constantly seethe about one thing or another all his waking hours, and he gets little sleep. It must be exhausting. Maybe that’s why he can’t learn the basics of how to be president.

2 Likes

Um. What was the then-senator from Alabama talking to Sergey Kislyak about?

7 Likes

The Shadow knows.

8 Likes

Heh heh heh.

Great old radio show reference. But the old intro from The Whistler might be even better…

I…am the Whistler, and I know many things, for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, many secrets hidden in the hearts of men and women who have stepped into the shadows. Yes… I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak!

(As a kid, I used to listen to rebroadcasts of that show on the Golden Days of Radio show on AFN…)

7 Likes

The repeated reporting that Sessions recused himself because he lied to Pence is, I assume , wrong. Seems much more complex and sinister after today’s testimony.

4 Likes

…uhhhhhhhhh…Cost of dachas on the Black Sea?

1 Like

Won’t learn…

1 Like

Kamala Harris sure has her sight trained on Sessions.

7 Likes

It’s not a mystery, either the FBI had the dirt that Sessions was in cahoots with the Russians, that would force him to recuse himself, or more likely, they saw his testimony where he decided to lie under oath and just blurt out he had no contact with the Russians when Sen. Al Franken questioned him and figured, he just screwed himself and would have to recuse himself because of that.

Doesn’t take a chess master to figure out, ‘Oh, he’d rather stay out of jail so he can keep his position on AG in order to push the losing war on drugs and put black people in jail.’

7 Likes

I can’t claim any special knowledge, but it has always seemed strange to me that Sessions decided so quickly to recuse himself so soon after confirmation. The normal pattern is to fight tooth and nail and drag the process out for as long as possible, but Sessions decided quickly for some reason to take himself out. And even more significantly, he had to know just how important it would be to Trump to have the AG defending him at every turn, as well as for the AG to be able to feed him inside info in the investigation as it progressed.

My explanation is that Sessions realized that he already had criminal liability at least for perjury and false statements to the FBI, and that compounding that with further lies and obfuscations would incriminate him further, and leave him open to greater scrutiny that he already was in line for. Just my guess.

16 Likes

I think the bigger question is why does Session keep lying about his contacts with Russian officials like Kislyak, and not so much how Comey knew he would have to recuse himself. I still don’t know why Sessions failed to account for those interactions under oath during his confirmation hearing, and why even later there turned up to be yet another contact that he failed to account for. Sessions is as dirty the rest of Trump’s toadies. Oh, and he lies too.

9 Likes

Exactly. And Comey knew he had perjured himself about Russian contacts.

Pretty obvious to anyone (except maybe John McDoubleStandard.

2 Likes

That was Flynn, who resigned after supposedly getting busted for supposedly lying to Pence. Supposedly

4 Likes

When you say Sessions “failed to disclose two conversations he had with Russia’s ambassador to the U.S. during the campaign” you mean Sessions “lied to the Senate” about it, right?.

4 Likes

I don’t think thats the case, black_knight. Comey could have just testified or talked about about the offenses Sessions committed about “forgetting” about his prior contact with the Russians. That information is already out in public and Comey could have just referred to it, instead, he said that he “couldn’t divulge the information about Sessions in an open hearing”. Something more unlawful is awry.

4 Likes

Doesn’t think there is anything for him TO learn. I.e. - he knows it all already.

2 Likes

Excellent article by Mark Sumner. Thanks for the link.

My post from 5 hours ago:

Once again, Kamala Harris comes prepared. You can tell, because Comey’s full of I don’t know, can’t remember, and will only say in a closed session type answers. Nice work Senator Harris. Why couldn’t they all come prepared like her? It would’ve made for a lot better hearing imo.

Both Angus King and Kamala Harris again made this hearing better than it should have been otherwise. They both came prepared…but especially Harris. She’s got a lot going for her. Primarily, she knows how to build a case and how to alert the public that there are still a lot of outstanding issues that we still don’t have the answers to, but are necessary to get to the bottom of before ruling anyone in or out of this shady Russian involvement with Trump and his den of thieves. She impressed me the most today…and considering I wasn’t particularly impressed with the overall hearing today…that says a lot.

10 Likes

I just assume it is because they knew Sessions had met multiple times with the Russian Ambassador re the campaign and failed to disclosure those meetings. They knew this for the same reasons they knew about Kushner, et al.

1 Like

Preshitident Trump and Supreme Commander Cuck Kushner should ask Jeff Sessions to resign.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available