Discussion: Senate Embarks On Immigration Debate With No Solution In Sight

1 Like

How about deporting the entire Trump Crime Family as a starter?

Show your hearts and brains are in the right place?

Just sayin’…

12 Likes

I think it will be the usual
Dems bring a knife to a gunfight
They need to message better
Get some one with some goddamn fire in their belly to fight back.

7 Likes

With this Anglo-American GOP, I’m not going to hold my breath.

9 Likes

Party leaders may also allow votes on bipartisan proposals

How mighty white of the party leaders.

8 Likes

What about sending them to the Republic of Jailastan.

8 Likes

Senate Embarks On Immigration Debate With No Solution In Sight.

This is a McConnell special. He is obliging with his promise to hold a vote on DACA, while at the same time making sure that nothing comes out of it, ensuring that Trump and the immigration hawks are happy. Dreamers still have a few weeks, maybe a crash course in Spanish will come handy.

6 Likes

If Americans haven’t figured out yet that elections have consequences, then nothing that’s happening now will move them.

Democrats lost; Dreamers lost; America lost.

8 Likes

Of course there’s a solution in sight. Agree to absolutely every demand the GOP can conjure and DACA will pass. Then Ds will still have DACA held against them by Rs AND their votes for a new white supremacist immigration policy held against them by Ds. Well played, our leaders.

I’m wasting my breath–aren’t we all?–but here goes: Ds have to make any legislation, immigration in particular, conditional on national security demands: legislate to protect the midterm elections and protect Mueller or there is no deal. That will move the story away from immigration (the one Republican policy that moves people to the voting booth) and onto national security, where Ds hold the high ground. Then, when Rs balk, accept assurances rather than legislation on nat.sec. in return for DACA. If they don’t give assurances, return to the theme that Rs are not to be trusted on nat.sec. If they do, then we get DACA.

Simply holding out for DACA, which should have happened when we had leverage, simply won’t work now. Whereas before the price for DACA would have been a share of the blame for a shutdown of a Republican party incapable of keeping in its own government open, now the price will be much higher: the destruction of the US as a country for all people, not just whites.

It’s a mess. There are no good options. Dreamers are in real trouble.

5 Likes

Oh, quite a bit of subtext here isn’t there. It would almost be a refreshing break from the bullhorn racism of this administration.

President Trump’s controversial immigration framework—terminating the diversity visa lottery and severely restricting family-based immigration.

Thank you Alice Ollstein, for using the correct term and not the derogetory “chain migration.” Don’t let those a$$holes control the message!

Unveiling the bill Monday night, Cotton told reporters Democrats could either accept their bill or watch DACA expire.

This is it right here, Republican’s do not have anything to lose. It was risky for Dreamers to sign up to DACA in the first place and now government has been handed to the wolves, and there is very little we can do legally to help.

Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) has said he refuses to take up any bill that lacks support from both a majority of House Republicans and President Trump

Okay, Ryan has no subtext, he’s just a spineless weasel as always. Slugs have more spine.

But several senators told TPM they remained optimistic and excited for a freewheeling open debate on a major issue, something many of them said they have never once experienced in their time in office.

“I’ve been here seven years and never seen anything like it,” a smiling Coons told TPM. “Who knows? Democracy may very well break out in here actually work the way its supposed to, through vigorous debate.”

FIFY. Sweet jump’n jeebus, it’s been so long since we’ve had a functioning government that actual senators do not recognize it when it works properly. That is depressing.

7 Likes

12 Likes

They told him that he’d better pack a
Night bag if he wanted to back a
Bill that is belated
And hotly debated:
Recertification of DACA.

5 Likes

“Who knows? Democracy may very well break out in here.”

Not betting on it.

12 Likes

What they say may be Anglo — just barely, by my standards — but it’s not American.

We should refuse to let them appropriate the word and force their definition.

At best what they say reflects only the worst parts of American society and history.

4 Likes

Exactly.

5 Likes

“The President’s framework is not an opening bid in negotiation. It is a best and final offer,” he said."
Once again, Tom Cotton demonstrates that he is completely unfamiliar with the word “compromise.” It does not mean the president and his party always get everything they want. Sadly, no matter what the Senate passes (and I’m quite shocked that McConnell kept his promise), it will be torn to shreds in the House. This is pure kabuki theater, with the lives of hundreds of thousands of “Dreamers” hanging in the balance. Well-played, Republicans. This will work out very well for you next November, I’m sure.

11 Likes

Unfortunately it does mean they get what they want: either (1) they get whites-only immigration; or (2) they get a huge electoral issue for the midterms (immigration). Also, why should Trump compromise when he’s dealing with Democrats?

3 Likes

I hear GITMO is lovely this time of year.
You know we really ought to rethink that banishment concept.

6 Likes

And now, here’s the latest example of our Dem leadership about to get utterly screwed. It has been obvious and suggested for weeks that Dems should assert that Republicans are “bankrupting the country.” But the geniuses in Congress thought it best to shut up so they could cave more efficiently. Now this (see below). Yes folks, stand by for Democrats to be blamed for “bankrupting the country” with their votes to save the GOP from shutting down its own government.

Name changes are easy, though there is the expenditure of changing out stationary and signage. But I think we can swing it.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available