Discussion: Senate Confirms Pompeo As Trump's Second Secretary Of State

1 Like

My deepest condolences to you and your family…

4 Likes

When do the diplomatic missiles get launched?

6 Likes

Time to start brushing up that resume, Secretary Pompeo.

To paraphrase “I know it was you, Pompeo”

3 Likes

Who else besides Manchin voted for him? (D’s)

3 Likes

How depressing, how pitifully sad, that he will almost certainly represent an upgrade over his predecessor.

2 Likes

i can’t find the NYT sheet, but I’m assuming that Kaine voted no.

3 Likes

One more than Tillerson. A real vote of confidence, that.

5 Likes
18 Likes

Twenty or thirty more Secretaries of State and the dotard will have pvted to a nominee that actually has semi-consensus approval!

3 Likes

Angus King? Fuck him.

2 Likes

Fuck every single Dem who voted for him. Pompeo is a Rapture-addled holy warrior zealot who thinks the Jews need to all be brought to Jerusalem and converted to Christianity so the Rapture can begin. This is a fucking travesty…a disaster…and everyone from Manchin to Heitkamp should be publicly and mercilessly fucking shamed, then primaried at the earliest possible chance. Pompeo and Bolton are going to light the fucking middle east on fire.

4 Likes

I have to ‘drag the river’, but this is either not the 1st time that he’s backed Trump or that its a rare moment that he’s backed the president.

two things though:

1. I’m old enough to remember when folks were giving Silver heat for including nominations , as part of a politician’s Trump era voting profile and now…

2. poor Doug Jones.

2 Likes

They would if they were competent.

4 Likes

He (and other Democrats) may have concluded the following two things:

1. Donald Trump will only nominate people as bad as Mike Pompeo or worse to this position
  2. Mike Pompeo is not as bad as having no Secretary of State at all

Maybe those things are true, maybe they’re not. The Senators spent many more hours in committee with Pompeo than I did, so I’m not going to say they’re definitely wrong.

Easy to shout about it on the internet, though.

4 Likes

King voted for Nielsen, Wray, Lighthizer, Acosta, Perdue, Coats,

‘pushes away from the table’

@squirreltown

4 Likes
7 Likes

Since their votes were not actually needed, I’d say their conclusions are political and have little to do with SoS. They could have said - no, not qualified - just as easily.

4 Likes

Given the fact that the now openly admitted mission of the State Department is not diplomacy, but facilitating arms deals, it makes total sense. And given that Wargasm is a bipartisan affair with the Dismal Dollar Dems, it makes total sense…

1 Like
6 Likes