Discussion: Sen. Perdue Poo-Poos Threats To Stop Filming In GA After Extreme Abortion Law

21 Likes

Which show?

1 Like

Ok, but those ‘hostages’ are real people with real jobs and real everyday concerns, the exact people Dems are trying to say they help. I know that many ‘online Dems’ don’t give a shit about actually people and just care about ‘politics and points’ but then don’t expect those ‘hostages’ to be ardent supporters of Democrats then right. Why should someone who loses their job/apartment care to go to the polls and vote for a Dem candidate when that party called on their employer to end their livelihood? This is literally how you get ‘both parties are the same fuck em both’ mentality.

1 Like

so what’s YOUR plan to resist the likes of this. We’d all love to hear.

1 Like

The point is in an industry where the workers don’t work where they live, and you have choices in the location of the work, to insist they work in a location with regressive policies that may negatively impact the workers’ lives is ridiculous.

This isn’t a boycott primarily because people don’t agree with their policies. This is a boycott to protect the workers in that industry. And this is an industry where the workers have more influence than in most others, so if they don’t stand up for their own rights then who will?

1 Like

Don’t have the name, but someone I know is part of the crew.

2 Likes

Now who is going to clean up this mess he’s made?

Unfortunately what was old is becoming new again.

5 Likes

Well perhaps targeting business that are based in the actual districts of the specific politicians that voted for this bill and not the ones in the most progressive part of the state.

Side note, I also love how no criticism of a Dem or liberal supported idea is considered valid by some of ya’ll unless it comes with a 42 slide powerpoint outlining a better plan.

Ah yes the ‘i’m beating you for you’re own good, even though someone else did the bad thing and they also like seeing you beaten’.

HA HA HA! Yea, a bunch of ‘at will’ contractors have all the power. You don’t know anything about the entertainment industry do you?

1 Like

I disagree with you on the idea that boycotting red states for bad legislation amounts to punishing hostages. And I live in Georgia.

Often, boycotts are ineffective. But boycotts against states based on legislation that’s unpopular among potential employers have indeed proven effective. The “hostage” analogy is flawed, because it’s entirely up to Georgia’s voters to free themselves either by pressuring the legislature to reverse itself (as they did in Indiana) or by electing Democrats (as North Carolinians did in 2016).

I’m not sure that a boycott against Georgia’s Death to Women Act will play out in the same way as boycotts against laws that discriminated against gays. But this is a very effective tool and the ire of voters tends to be directed toward the politicians if the legislation is viewed as extreme.

5 Likes

The thing is, there is a lot of filming in NM as well, and we ‘never’ know the name of the show/movie until it is done.

I don’t know ‘why’ they give productions ‘secret names’ but there you have it.

The Georgia law, as written/passed, says that if a woman leaves Georgia to have an abortion and then comes back she can ‘still’ be arrested.

So a member of a cast/crew in Georgia who goes to California (where they may live) to have an abortion is liable for CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.

I sure as HELL would not want to work in that state.

5 Likes

Yeah, with North Carolina the economic fallout pissed people off sufficiently where they started kicking out the GOP.

The thing is, with Georgia film companies trying to tell women not to have miscarriages is going make them go “WTF?” and that’s not going to fly. Production companies do not want to piss off their staff like that. And if Georgia thinks they can’t be replaced, that government is fucking stupid. Other states will offer up tax breaks to bring in companies like Disney.

4 Likes

OK I just mentioned MY complaint but what we have HERE in this Georgia situation is a woman who is cast/crew for a show/movie gets pregnant, goes home to ‘anywhere’ (a place it’s legal to have an abortion), has the abortion, comes back and is LIABLE FOR PROSECUTION.

Um, No Thanks, Georgia.

2 Likes

we might not have swamps, but I’m going to stick with CA for diversity of locations

4 Likes

As he wished for President Obama: May his days be few, and may another take his position.

But the point is by boycotting the Atlanta area, you’re literally boycotting the progressive areas that already support you. It’s punishing the very people who probably already support abortion rights to what, spite the rural voters who frankly hate ‘urban people’ anyway.

Boycott the problem voters. Find industries in those parts of the state that vote for the politicians that support this and target them. This is just shooting your own supporters to say you did ‘something’ and feel good about yourself.

Except for the people who LIVE in that state, they really like to work and pay their bills. But fuck GA dems huh?

You’re right, the life long Atlanta Democrat that owns a craft services company should go out of business to spite rural Georgians who hate her anyway.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available