Discussion: Sen. Perdue Poo-Poos Threats To Stop Filming In GA After Extreme Abortion Law

Delta…Had enough yet?

16 Likes

David Perdue is a “poo poo head,” and I am being kind…

11 Likes

Translation: “My crazy-ass base is so much more important than the state’s economy.”

10 Likes

Without Delta there would be no Atlanta. Without Atlanta Georgia would be another Alabama. It is all on Delta.

23 Likes

the biggest Hollywood studios are staying mum

I’ll bet they suddenly become quite vocal when they start squealing about their productions being “unfairly” boycotted.

13 Likes

Is this the “new South?”

6 Likes

It’s unrealistic to expect Hollywood to boycott Georgia. It’s an industry after all. Those who boycott are also not likely to be rewarded by the market. Cruel but true. The most powerful tool to counter GOP hideousness I can think of is the vote. VOTE THEM OUT!

6 Likes

“Financial incentives and a geographically varied landscape make Georgia ideal for filming.”

Now Ms Riga - that is an (AP)-worthy close. CA has a geographically varied landscape - Georgia is cheap and a right-to-work state which means no crew unions - and that’s why productions go there.

33 Likes

I do know of one t.v. show that had been all prepped to begin filming in Atalanta this summer. They are now heading to Vancouver in another month.

18 Likes

We don’t need your lib’r’l Hollywood money. Saving the babies is more important.
Until they’re born.

15 Likes

How about Co’Cola?

10 Likes

Movie companies can and should make anti choice States unacceptable for movie and television production. The only thing that impacts right wingers is money, so use the leverage.

12 Likes

I have to admit I somewhat have a problem with these kinds of boycotts. I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, but the execution (if it grows) will probably end up hurting the people who support abortion rights more than those that oppose them.

For right or wrong (and it’s mostly wrong) the film industry is viewed in GA as ‘an Atlanta thing’ by most rural and more conservative residents. And as we’ve seen rural conservatives LOVE to see urban people suffer, even if it’s to their own detriment. These boycotts will just feed their glee while taking money from the pockets of the more progressive urban people.

The same thing bothered by with the NC and TN boycotts. In both cases it was progressive urban centers that tried to protect LGBT people that caused a backlash from rural politicians that then made state wide anti-LGBT laws. The boycotts that followed however all where of events/locations that would happen in the urban places that tried to protect LGBT people in the first place. Many rural people where HAPPY about that! I found myself thinking about how that was probably fucking over a lot of LGBT people themselves who moved to the more urban and gay friendly cities to get away from discrimination, only to have their livelihood threatened by boycotts protesting discrimination against them. It ends up being a catch 22 of getting fucked over for them. (and the NC bathroom law wasn’t done in by the boycott, it was the election of a Dem Gov forced them too. No rural politician that supported the law changed their minds because of the boycott that I know of)

I’ don’t know, I kinda feel the same way about this. Like I said I really agree with the sentiment. But hardly anyone who’s against abortion will care that these films are gone, some will be happy it hurts the ‘Hollywood liberals in GA’ and a whole bunch of people who probably support abortion rights will now have problems making rent. The invisible hand doesn’t always smack the people we want it to.

1 Like

There’s lots of corporate $$$ in GA:

The Home Depot
UPS
Randstad USA
The Coca-Cola Company
Hansen Beverage
Delta
Cox Enterprises
Georgia-Pacific

8 Likes

Hollywood isn’t the only agent of boycotts. Activists can organize boycotts of lots of GA companies. It worked in NC with the bathroom law.

9 Likes

In point of fact, it is the most geographically diverse state and also the most biologically diverse, in part owing to its north south orientation that covers 32° 30’ N to 42° N [and 114° 8’ W to 124° 24’ W, fyi].

In Georgia, they have swamp and not swamp (just kidding).

7 Likes

Just wrong on the history. Delta’s important to Atlanta, but it’s not existentially important. And Delta needed Atlanta long before Atlanta needed Delta.

2 Likes

There’s always hostages. And any deal you make for the sake of protecting those hostages makes them them hostages again in the new future.

You can’t choose to avoid acting because the right-wingers will take hostages. There are always going to be more of them.

1 Like

Red states with these extremists laws won’t get any of my money.

Unlike the women of Georgia, I have choice.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available