Discussion: See For Yourself: Read Transcript Of Omar Speech That Made The Right Hysterical

“Some people” was not referring to the 9-11 Terrorists, but the people in the Bush/Cheney admin who immediately attacked the civil liberties of Muslim people after 9-11.

Omar could have been more specific in her language, but I am far more troubled by the crimes committed by our government after 9-11 and the failure to prosecute those crimes by the next administration then anything she said.

Not intentional, anyway.

Thanks for checking!

I’m not sure she wants an editor. Her words seem carefully chosen to appeal to her constituents. Her comment “I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country” was directed toward Israel and American Jews. Our first priority is to remove Trump from office in the next election. Her inflammatory remarks, true or not, will help to bring out Trump voters. If she wants to be a transformational figure, for herself and for America, I would like to see her help defeat Trump rather than see her publicized nightly on Right wing news as a symbol of why we need to re-elect Trump.

Yeah now I’m confused. I thought Trump voters were responsible for the rise in anti-Semitism in the last few years and marched in Charlottesville chanting: Jews will not replace us.

And some GOP idiot called a Jewish constituent a Judenrat I read. So which is it - pro-Jewish or anti-Semitic? I can’t keep up.

3 Likes

Glad to hear it

Here’s a clickable.

Thanks!

1 Like

In reality, the congresswoman was trying to distinguish terrorists from all Muslims.

Yes. I got that from just the short excerpt of her remarks that I saw right after she made them. The right is, of course, trying to paint ALL Muslims as terrorists, so they will distort and lie in order to advance that narrative.

2 Likes

Probably not telling you or most folks anything you don’t already know. But right wing Christians kind of have a love hate relationship with Jewish folks. On the one hand they killed Jesus and don’t believe he’s the savior. On the other hand Jesus was Jewish, they are still waiting for a savior and Revelations talks a lot about them playing a big role in the end of time. It messes with right wingers even more than all the other contradictions in the bible!

3 Likes

I do know those things. Thanks for beginning the comment that way. They’ve swung to such wildly divergent poles in the last couple of years though it’s hardly what it was. Trump’s coalition is evangelical End Timers and Alt/Rt Nazi Youth. About as far apart as you can get except not really. When push comes to shove, christianity will always favor the Nazis. At least the christian power structure will.

Basically another reason I don’t want to hear anymore about Ilhan Omar from the goddamn GOP or the right in general.

5 Likes

It appears that the TPM community has created an interesting new feature for the site: “What You Should Have Said” in which y’all pretend that all it takes to disarm fascist trolls is superior composition.

What it actually takes is supporting those under attack with something besides English lessons.

5 Likes

How could you forget hyperbole?

1 Like

Nonsense. Nothing is going this disarm except for an overwhelming electoral win. These will always be with us. They will trail us into the future kicking and screaming. They will always do what they always do. But there is a middle and they can be moved to vote Trump out. Words do matter. “I have a dream” and “ask what you can do,” and “not a read state or a blue state, but the United States etc …”.

1 Like

Bullshit, if one pulls one’s head from one’s rear end, one will see that there is not one damn thing Omar can do to placate the right. I don’t agree with the premise that she is a bomb thrower, the bulk of the controversy surrounding her has been manufactured by the right. They are doing their best to destroy a Mulsim woman of color, to the extent of putting her life in real danger. So please spare us the victim blaming.

5 Likes

And of course she’ll need to put a seer on staff to help her predict what words will set off the right wingers. Or maybe not, everything and anything she says will set them off. Unfortunately too many here haven’t figured that out yet.

1 Like

What’s an editor going to do? Predict what words may or may not set off the right wing outrage machine? Its about the person using the words NOT THE WORDS being used!

Can’t come quick enough!

For most people on the planet her statement was completely correct. I mourn the Notre Dame of Paris fire for the same reason. I would feel the same way about the destruction of temples in Egypt or Greece or the Middle East. Chartres, like most Gothic churches, was the undertaking of many, many decades of work and devotion. It is not the finest example of Gothic architecture but it is the heart of France. One doesn’t need to be Christian or Catholic to mourn the destruction to such a beautiful structure and the art work within it.

I mourn the tragic loss of the temples in Greece, particularly the Parthenon which even in its sad broken condition today is still sublime in its proportions and beauty.

I just hope that when replacing the roof beams the architects and builders do not turn to old growth trees which are now few on this earth. Steel is stronger and lighter. Have some concern for the remnants of natural beauty on this planet.

2 Likes

We’re actually getting there.

2 Likes

I was gonna add, because good people will find ways to be good, no metaphysical excuses are needed, while bad people will find ways to be bad, and no metaphysical excuses should be accepted.

1 Like

That’s been my experience of life. If you do good because you’re scared, I don’t think it counts. hahahahaha You should do good because you want to and people do. I agree.

3 Likes

Mine too, in fact when they try to scare people into doing good, they usually do something even worse. The human psyche is a hard thing to figure out, and 6000 years of metaphysical bullshit has only made it harder.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available