Discussion: See For Yourself: Read Transcript Of Omar Speech That Made The Right Hysterical

1 Like

“CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”
–Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN)

Yeah, “Some people did something,” alright.

Like Bush, Cheney, and John Ashcroft (AG) rounding-up, imprisoning, and torturing 762 American Muslims:

"Some were held an average of three to eight months in New York, with about 80 housed at the metropolitan detention center in Brooklyn and the rest at the Passaic County jail in Paterson, New Jersey.

The court described evidence showing detainees’ abuse included slamming them into walls; bending or twisting their arms, hands, wrists and fingers; stepping on their leg restraints; leaving them handcuffed or shackled in their cells; and insulting their religion or making humiliating sexual comments during strip searches."

15 Likes

5 Likes

Like Bush, Cheney, and John Ashcroft (AG) rounding-up, imprisoning, and torturing 762 American Muslims:

After not acting in intelligence reports, then later starting a war with very little but overhyped “evidence”

Quoted speech starts out at 12 minutes if you want to hear that and not the whole thing.

3 Likes

A mentality that should be crushed as much as it can be.

9 Likes

This was taped by Fox News, posted on Fox News Facebook, and commented on by Fox News viewers for three weeks before the ‘controversy’ erupted. Nobody noticed a ‘dismissal’ of 9/11. Even Crenshaw had to be told about it by the imam.
Now of course they all see it and you can’t tell them anything different. They all believe they would have seen it on their own. This is real Big Brotherism at work.

14 Likes

If i may repeat what so many others have said - to no apparent effect - ahem :

IT DOESN’T MATTER WHAT YOU SAY, THE REPUGS WILL LIE ABOUT IT REGARDLESS.

8 Likes

Stevie Dee may be right (“if you’re explaining you’re losing”), but Nicole’s statement in the article is exactly on point:

Even in context of the portion of the speech specifically relevant to the quote in question, it’s clear the mania is further perpetuating the congresswoman’s point.

It is the classic definition of “stereotype”: ascribing the characteristics of an individual onto an entire group. The claim that Omar was less than American when she pointed out that in the aftermath of 9/11 Muslim civil liberties were curtailed and they were subjected to heightened scrutiny is clearly correct. And the right’s perpetuation of that claim in light of Omar’s statement is abhorrent.

What would have been the right’s response if Omar had said:

CAIR was founded after 9/11 because they recognized that Muslims were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.

If the response is “Oh, that’s different,” then we know we’re dealing with dolts. Which may be true anyway.

7 Likes

It literally doesn’t matter what Omar says about anything, the Right will try to take her down

25 Likes

Are supposed to be shocked that the GOP and its flying monkeys took her words out of context?

I am somewhat surprised to learn that all of this had its genesis with an imam who is opposed to this Muslim organization. How was that a good idea?

2 Likes

Crush it all you want, Muslims will be decades getting fair treatment. Blacks were freed from slavery in 1863. Our laws demanding they be treated fairly were strengthened and passed over 50 years ago. Yet it’s still legal to shoot a black person with impunity for failing to signal a lane change. Or to choke the life out of them for selling cigarettes on the corner.
Go ahead, talk until you’re blue in the face. Cats may have nine lives, but bigotry, xenophobia and racism have a thousand. Kill them as often as you want, they’ll be back the next morning, knocking on your door.

5 Likes

What’s funny in all this is how threatened the Guardians Of Predators are by Omar, AOC and women in general. Sad.

13 Likes

“NOW, THEREFORE, I, DONALD J. TRUMP, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 16, 2019, as Religious Freedom Day. I call on all Americans to commemorate this day with events and activities that remind us of our shared heritage of religious liberty and that teach us how to secure this blessing both at home and around the world.”

* Offer excludes Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Baha’is, Zoroastrians, Druze, Yazidis, Copts, Confucians, Shintoists, Taoists, Sufis, Druids, Pagans, Shamanists, Wiccans, the Amish, Shakers, Quakers, Rastafarians, Pastafarians, Satanists, Voodooists, Jedis, Siths, Bokononists, Bene Gesserits, Cthulhuists, SubGeniuses, RaĂ«lians, Manichaeists, Neoplatonists, Pythagoreans, Pantheists, Polytheists, Deists, Atheists
and Methodists!

19 Likes

While I am not unsympathetic to her complaint that Muslims are being treated as second class citizens, her choice of words about 9/11, even in context, lend themselves to manipulation and criticism. What she should have said is that “we condemn what the 9/11 terrorists did because we are loyal Americans but are not being treated as such” or words to that effect. We all take Trump to task, and rightfully so, for his incendiary tweets that inspire white nationalism and home grown white supremacists and say that his words matter. We are hypocrites if we don’t apply the same standard to Congresswoman Omar. She has proven herself to be a bomb thrower and unfortunately for her, she forfeited the benefit of the doubt that she is looking for. She does not seem to understand that. I have no problem with her speaking out for Muslims but she should do so with circumspection. She is certainly intelligent enough to thread this needle and be a successful advocate for Muslim’s rights under the First Amendment. I would recommend to her that she tout the Constitution at every turn and I believe that will enable her to climb out of the hole she dug for herself. When Jackie Robinson broke into the major leagues in 1947, Branch Rickey told him he had to take the abuse for 2 seasons and not fight back and now he is considered an American icon. While Congresswoman Omar need not do that, she needs to pay attention to her words if she is going to fight for what is now an unpopular cause for much of the electorate.

7 Likes

ignores faux controversy

3 Likes

The Irish

You left out the IRISH!

5 Likes

I did not read her statement on the fire at the Notre Dame cathedral. It’s reported she expressed sadness at the loss of “great architecture and art”. A church burned, yet she issues a statement the most lamentable aspect of the fire is the loss of architecture and art. That’s the kind of stuff she needs to think about before she speaks.

1 Like

and the Papists

2 Likes

Omar is the SYMBOL of their ignorance and fears, so nothing she actually SAYS is important.

The Reich-Wingers need a convenient and easily recognized scapegoat, and Ilhan Omar is it;

1. Young
  2. African
  3. Woman
  4. Muslim
  5. Dresses in traditional African/Muslim clothing.

That right there is the Ignorant Asshole Trifecta +2. ALL of the things they hate and fear rolled into one person, served up to them on a silver platter of Racism, Xenophobia, and FEAR of the OTHER.

7 Likes

You can find her actual tweet above in the comments. I thought it quite appropriate.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available