Discussion: Seattle Times Reporter Resigns After Probe Into Gross DMs To Female Writer

This has what exact connection to TPM’s mission?

Not seeing any link here.

4 Likes

Really. Now Chinese money-laundering and asset-hiding in the Seattle real estate market might be a relevant story, but this? Also, you’ve just had a 3.5% spike in the Urals crude price] on today’s events in the Strait of Hormuz, which can only delight Putin’s people. Besides lifting sanctions, the one thing the US can do for Putin is deliver $80 oil. You got a 100% bump in oil prices between 1973 and 1974 on the Opec oil embargo. Trump only needs to do something a quarter as crazy to make Putin happy.

2 Likes

Yup, surprised no stories about the oil tankers. That’s kinda a big deal

4 Likes

Journalists behaving badly?

That’s all I got.

2 Likes

The Seattle Times is the largest paper in WA. Go Huskies!

All Putin has to do is threaten to release the now weaponized Pee-Pee tapes and Trump is toast. Trump will do as he is told. An agreement was reached during the first Putin-Trump summit, Trump will tweet and Putin will handle world geopolitical affairs.

1 Like

“At noon I observed a bevy of nude young native women bathing in the sea, and I went and sat down on their clothes to keep them from being stolen.”

> ― Mark Twain, Mark Twain in Hawaii: Roughing It in the Sandwich Islands: Hawaii in the 1860s

“At midnight, I observed some poor Russian women beset by incontinence, and tried to get them to use my facilities, but they were confused as to the furniture apparently.”

– Donald Trump, Roughing it at the Moscow Hilton in the 2010s.

5 Likes

Not even the ones that generate clicks?

1 Like

No good deed goes unpunished :pensive: :

That is the role of the TPM chumbox.

Seattle Times Reporter Resigns After Probe Into Gross DMs To Female Writer

OK, I’ll be the stupid one. What are DMs?

1 Like

In Twitter it’s a “Direct Message” - think one-to-one text between two individuals…

This is a story serving as an example of how social media is not only a waste of time, but it can expose you as an idiot.

1 Like

Even AP has a better, more relevant story today:

https://apnews.com/bc2f19097a4c4fffaa00de6770b8a60d

LONDON (AP) — Katie Jones sure seemed plugged into Washington’s political scene. The 30-something redhead boasted a job at a top think tank and a who’s-who network of pundits and experts, from the centrist Brookings Institution to the right-wing Heritage Foundation. She was connected to a deputy assistant secretary of state, a senior aide to a senator and the economist Paul Winfree, who is being considered for a seat on the Federal Reserve.

But Katie Jones doesn’t exist, The Associated Press has determined. Instead, the persona was part of a vast army of phantom profiles lurking on the professional networking site LinkedIn. And several experts contacted by the AP said Jones’ profile picture appeared to have been created by a computer program.

“I’m convinced that it’s a fake face,” said Mario Klingemann, a German artist who has been experimenting for years with artificially generated portraits and says he has reviewed tens of thousands of such images. “It has all the hallmarks.”

1 Like

In all fairness, TPM may be waiting for more verifiable details so as not to appear a bangin’ on those War Drums.

Could have just thrown up the event itself.

Let all us conspiracy theorists gather to discuss whether it was the CIA, the Israelis or the Saudis who launched it.

Not fair of them to not let us speculate!

2 Likes

“Direct messaging.”

And your kids are right: you are so not cool! :smiley:

2 Likes

Why not an “All of the Above” option?
And perhaps a Hive discussion?

1 Like

Certainly could. All of the above is definitely on the list.

Probably about the only thing everyone would agree on is that it’s not Iran.

1 Like