Discussion: Schumer After Trump Meeting: 'We Still Have A Good Number Of Disagreements'

2 Likes

How the hell do you negotiate with someone who will change his mind when his little racist boot-lickers whisper in his ear once the door shuts behind you?

39 Likes

I think that’s code for “It’s going to be a long shutdown.” Meanwhile, he’s letting Pelosi be the bad cop.

27 Likes

How do you sit and talk with Trump when you’re engaged with the functional equivalent of an Irish Setter?

22 Likes

Okay, so Donnie didn’t dramatically pull out a new Executive Order restoring DACA - let the shutdown begin.

I don’t want to get too excited, but the Republicans really do seem to be doing their absolute best to break every piece of china is the shop. In light of everything else (and in particular the polling on the loss of support among Independents) I just don’t see how this ends well for them. As my old mom used to say - “It’s going to end in tears…”

20 Likes

Quite possibly. But also quite plausible that they are very close to a deal, but Schumer understands that if he came out and unilaterally announced that a deal was imminent – right after the White House said they definitely weren’t “cutting a deal” with Schumer, and that they would be meeting with others throughout the day – that would likely cause Trump to deny it, and cause the deal to collapse.

Basically impossible to tell from Schumer’s statement whether they’re close or not. But that’s by design. There will be negotiations all day and into the evening.

21 Likes

These meetings are a way for Trump the GOP to build their scapegoat narrative of pinning it all on Schumer when this goes sideways.

9 Likes

Somebody’s not going to be happy.

25 Likes

On behalf of the Irish Setter Anti-Defamation League, I wish to strongly protest this vicious slander against my clients, the vast majority of whom, unlike the President, are at least good-natured…and house-trained.

42 Likes

Maybe. But it allows Schumer to dispute any allegations he refused to personally sit and speak with the President in the midst of the crisis.

19 Likes

“Trump ended DACA, a protection from deportation for qualified undocumented young people…”

“My ancestors did not travel to this country, only to watch it let in a bunch of immigrants!”

52 Likes

Brilliant negotiating:

14 Likes

Alternatively, “Trump still refuses to release hostages”

14 Likes

McConnell is the real hostage-taker:

(Someone pointed out that CHIP gets a white background, while DACA gets a black background–subtle.)

12 Likes

Gee, what a surprise. Too much work. Pouting because he can’t leave. What a worthless waste of oxygen.

13 Likes

I certainly hope so as well. 4pm before a 12am deadline is not the time for disagreements to still exist. This SHOULD result in a shutdown and the GOP SHOULD have to eat their own feces over it when the public feeds it to them.

As for bad cop…there’s really no other way for Pelosi to play at this point. Her name has become a trigger-word for GOPers. They throw it into their ranting at random like it’s on a checklist for their mindless talking point screeds.

NO QUARTER

21 Likes

I guess it all depends on which Tramp showed up to the meeting. Was it “I just had my Big Macs and Fish Filets and 2 scoops of ice cream” Donnie? Or was it “that damn doctor made me eat vegetables and chicken breast and I wanna cookie!” Donnie?

Because if the first Donnie showed up, he may have had the frank discussion with Chuck that he did with the president of Mexico when he begged him not to tell the US news media that Mexico was refusing to pay for that damned wall, now or ever, and begged Schumer for a deal that wouldn’t make him look like the weakling loser he is. If the second Donnie showed up, poor Chuck left the Oval with Donnie flinging his feces and crying for his binky.

He painted himself into this corner - let him marinate in the toxic stew he created.

18 Likes

And don’t enjoy being spanked with a rolled up magazine

29 Likes

[quote=“coprophagoussmile, post:14, topic:67511”]
McConnell is the real hostage-taker:

twitter.com

Leader McConnell (SenateMajLdr)

#Senate Democrats have a choice to make. This should be a no-brainer…

9:45 AM - 19 Jan 2018
[/quote]But, seeing as how Democrats all have brains and tend to use them, it makes your job all the more difficult - doesn’t it, Mitch?

8 Likes

It comes down to whether Kelly is more fed up or racist: if it’s the former, he’ll make sure Miller isn’t allowed near Trump until the damn thing is signed. If it’s the latter, we’re in for a looooong shutdown.

I would imagine the prospect of babysitting Trump on what would have been a peaceful weekend does not enthuse the CoS.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available