Discussion: Sanders: If Clinton Wins, She'll Have To Win Over My Supporters Herself

The 2008 election seemed real. This election seems scripted, and by a playwright who isn’t very good. We have the evil villain, the princess, the comic relief. All it needs is costumes and it would fit nicely into pro-wrestling, whose contests are so realistic. Democracy is dead, all we’re getting now is bread and circuses, and Republicans resent us getting the bread.

1 Like

I like how it starts by calling Krugman a New York Times columnist.

1 Like

That’s our Bernie. Always pissing on the parade. You lost, Bernie. Get over it and be a team player for once in your life.

1 Like

We’re lucky to have Krugman, that he just keeps working and stands up to it all. An example, like Obama, of how to be.
What a loss for clueless newbies to see him poisoned by the Bros. Et tu, Taibbi. It breaks my heart.

1 Like

Fuck Krugman. Selling his soul for Clinton appointment as econ advisor. Pompous ass.

Siglitz and Bill Black unafraid to call out Obama or Hillary.

Krugman has long said he has no desire or need for office. But you didn’t know that.

Nader says it all.

The answer is definitively NO super delegates do not violate our constitutional rights. There really is no question here. It’s not even a remotely close call.

Health & Human Services / Food & Drug Admin

1 Like

You can send comments using the link under the main TPM banner box.

That was not the point, it is about the power that they have, if you read the thread.

It’s interesting – in 2008 we heard endless commentary about how it was Clinton’s responsibility to bring voters over to Obama – which she worked hard to do – and this cycle it is, again, not just Bernie’s who is saying she has total responsibility to heal the division in the party, but the same media that said it was the loser’s job – her job – to do it last time. The double standard is still firmly in place.

Of course, if you watched how he was really campaigning (rather than just repeating back his claims that he doesn’t and wouldn’t campaign dirty) – with McCarthyite guilt by association, dishonest character assassination and the not at all subtle insinuation that both Clinton and the entire party is corrupt – you knew he had no intention of doing anything to help the Democratic candidate once he lost. The Democrats will be lucky if he doesn’t actively work to undermine the party and Clinton. By his and his surrogates actions so far, it doesn’t look like they will be that lucky.

As for him bringing young people into the party? He’s peddled nothing but cynicism and paranoia and lies – and he’s already claiming he lost because the game was rigged. If they believe in this old fraud, and believe the lies he tells, why would those young supporters EVER vote for a Democrat?

1 Like

His strategy right now is to try and get her to commit on issues deeply important to his grassroots supporters on the left before her inevitable lurch rightward in the general election. I can’t fault the strategy, since I have no hope of her fulfilling promises she never makes in the first place.

If this primary election has SHOWN that Senator Sanders ISSUES were rejected by a MAJORITY of the voters, why should she include his FAILED issues in the Democratic Platform?

1 Like

It has been interesting hasn’t it. I think Bernie kind of screwed up the script and this is why we need him to stick it out and pull the princess away from policies of the other side.

I don’t have much hope in the baby boomers being free thinkers anymore but they did teach their children to be. I have great hope in the young in a few cycles they will be able to push their views which they must. Global warming is real and I have little hope the Clinton will do much about it but lip service. At least she might get the conversation going. But in the end the planet will be just fine with or without us and sometimes I think we are just too selfless a species to survive.

1 Like

Maybe get onboard with Dr. M. Sanjayan. We’re all in this together. Lean toward the light.
http://www.pbs.org/earth-a-new-wild/about/

The revolution begins with each one of us: we vote by what we consume, what we buy… the production of which is the far greater factor in how energy affects the biosphere.

I’m watching the Saudis, what’s going on with oil, how that plays out in markets. Incredibly volatile times. Whatever our ideologies and heartfelt beliefs, Clinton is the savvy here.

How is Clinton the savvy with oil?

I thought this piece was helpful for me on the climate change issue.

As I said,
I’m watching the Saudis, what’s going on with oil, how that plays out in markets. Incredibly volatile times. Whatever our ideologies and heartfelt beliefs, Clinton is the savvy here.

Savvy as in what the word means.

also
No substitute for experience, for personal knowledge. Especially in a time of energy transition. Like it or not, we’re all invested in it.

Do you buy that the Saudis are keeping the price of oil down, to protect their strategic importance to us? That was the kind of thing I was asking and what has Clinton done in regards to that?

Do you buy that the Saudis are keeping the price of oil down, to protect their strategic importance to us?

Things seem to be spinning out of their control. And we’re not the only game in town as far as strategic importance goes. It looks like we’re – as in the whole world – simply trying to keep the market steady, keep the bottom from falling out, work towards stability in this very volatile time of transition. (I mean, Russia, China…) In the US, until we remove the obstruction party in Washington, we won’t have much moving forward on energy policy, no matter who the president is.

I don’t know who you are, but @spencersmom is who she says she is.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available