Discussion: Republican Governor Hopes Obamacare Lawsuit Fails In Supreme Court

Discussion for article #234343

Antonin Scalia has confidence that this Congress will do the right thing, and that’s good enough for me.

9 Likes

All of a sudden the dogs are beginning to wonder what the hell will they do if they actually catch that car.

28 Likes

With all due respect to the Governor, he could solve the problem for the people of Wyoming by simply asking Secretary Burwell to send the code and enrollment list for the Wyoming exchange on the federal web site and placing that on the state’s web site. That would involve no significant cost to the state. I doubt it would even require legislative action; adding a section to the state web site ought to be within the powers of governors, since state web sites are constantly updated. Every other governor could do the same. Problem solved.

8 Likes

If you are concerned, set up a state exchange. Problem solved.

16 Likes

Repubs are out to destroy everything that helps the American people. Why old white farts support them can only mean they vote their hate. I just don’t get them. Besides wanting to deny Americans health insurance they can afford, repubs are now talking about cutting Medicare and food stamps. Okay old white farts, is this what you voted for? I really need to know because I just don’t get old white farts.

6 Likes

If the Moops challenge succeeds, I think it’s extremely likely that not just Wyoming but more than a dozen red states opt for setting up exchanges before the year is out.

Maybe they’re imagining how it might just back up and roll right over them

2 Likes

The political system sets up various bottlenecks including those partisan related. Not having to act or merely continuing the same rules (e.g., the reenactment of old Voting Right Act covered areas) is a lot easier. This is the reality of the situation, even if Congress or the states SHOULD just fix the thing, if it needs fixing.

A few purple and red states joined a brief against the moop troofers too.

CoNGress WILL pasS a FIX NOw that THE DO NOTHING liBTURDs are no LOnger in CHArge!!1!!!one!1!1!1!!

2 Likes

I thought one of the most effective tactics the Republicans had when it came to Obamacare was the way they took advantage of people’s dislike of disruption in their lives. Some had to move to a new health plan, and that was disruptive. A true conservative, I imagine, doesn’t like disruption. So, Gov. Mead’s concern about the outcome of the lawsuit makes a lot of sense (for once).

4 Likes

He could also ask his Republican friends in Washington to add an amendment to the next bill they pass which fixes language in the Affordable Care Act and makes the lawsuit moot. Simple!

8 Likes

“Some Republican policy aides privately worry about the implications of such a ruling, given the enormous difficulty of passing a “fix” through Congress”
The republican party is nothing but a big group of pussy-toed cowards, just like silly girls in high school They’re so worried they might have to go out a get a real job, so they can’t be quoted ever! It must be hard living a life that’s one big big lie after another!!

3 Likes

[quote] …  unravel the law by wiping out federal exchange subsidies in nearly three-dozen states. …it is going to cause a lot of turmoil, …[/quote] This is total BS as it would NOT “unravel” the PP-ACA law. Turmoil? Only for poor people in RED states. The number of non-participatory red states is declining steadily.

All it would do is remove low-income folks that insist on residing in backwards Red States from getting subsidies. THE REST OF THE LAW remains completely intact. There is still no spending limit, kids are still covered until 26, there are no coverage denials or cancellations, etc.

[quote]… trying find an answer and seeing whether Congress can provide the statutory fix that would be needed. [/quote] What planet is this guy from?

Our current GOP/Tee Potty-controlled Congress? Find a fix? They can hardly bathe themselves.

1 Like

If there is a God, He in His Infinite Wisdom will giver redstate voters what they want, and smite the Abomination that is Obamacare back to the Blue States only, his will be done. But, there isn’t.

1 Like

An honest Republican? He’s like the spotted owl and the gray wolf: An endangered species.

Sooooo. What he is saying is he has to hate the ACA (cause he’ll get kicked out of the GOP),
but what the hell is going to happen when his party takes the helm. Abject chaos–and he knows it.

2 Likes

PERFECT analogy.

They want it, they really want it … smoosh … face first into the bumper.

Edit: I hate that the ACA is in jeopardy for political gain. It’s not perfect but so many, many people have benefited so far. Sorry Mom … I hate the GOP.

6 Likes

That’s why this case has no chance. Not just lack of legal merit, but even if the Justices get political, the conservative Justices know that shooting down Fed subsidies will hurt Republicans the most. I see at LEAST a 6-3 victory for the ACA, and frankly 7-2 would not surprise me. I think Thomas and Alito might be the only no votes, and I would not be shocked to see them go the other way too.

1 Like