Discussion: Report: Trump Team Wants To ID Energy Dept. Staffers Engaged In Climate Policy

Sounds ominous. ID them so they can be let go? Can’t have any pesky pro-environment people around, can we?

17 Likes

But he has a mandate. Or maybe just a date with a man.

20 Likes

Clearly, the transition team wants to know who they should go to for expertise and advice on fighting this tremendous threat.

25 Likes

Well, they can’t be fired - Civil Service protections kick in instantly. But they can certainly be reassigned to work on something else, like doing promotional videos for coal.

20 Likes

And presidents don’t get more popular after they are in office. Indeed, the trend is usually just the opposite.

12 Likes

They’ll be the first to be required to sign NDA’s.

8 Likes

relax…

this is Cheeto Donnie’s plan to bring back the demand for coal and restore all those jobs in unsafe mines…

wait until he pardons Don Blankenship and cuts black lung treatment from health insurance to save costs…

11 Likes

They want to know who to marginalize and harass so they will quit and can be replaced with more pliable pro-oil goons. This is how you destroy government by making sure no one knows anything.

20 Likes

Blankenship got only a year in jail. He’ll be out mid 2017.

@old_curmudgeon Even Al Gore had an approval rating of 59% in December 2000.

@mattinpa This plan sounds like something out of HUAC’s glory days right down to the list he wants to compile. Tell us who and what you know and you’ll be okay.

6 Likes

It’s not normal to target staffers this way. They do what the administration honchos tell them to. Remember Alberto Gonzalez firing prosecutors who wouldn’t baselessly harass political foes? The rage and disgust just builds and builds and they’re not even in there yet.

36 Likes

The only question I have is will they simply fire them or will they jail them? They won’t want these people in front of cameras if they are fired…and they have not signed NDA’s with the Trump admin.

10 Likes

Just wait until they get the first adverse economic news from the BLS. It’s only a short step from there to ask how many Jews work there (h/t Nixon).

14 Likes

Not Fired.

No. They’ll be quietly given a desk in a basement somewhere to work on “special projects”, isolated from each other and administratively harassed into retiring early. That’s how it worked in Interior under Reagan, but it was limited to only a few cases and these folks, once outside were bigger thorns in the administration’s side than they were inside. This, however, looks like it’s working out as a full scale “pogrom”.

Beware mad scientists roaming the streets. They can be deviously clever bastards.

21 Likes

that # is going to drop so fast, ‘the saleslady’ (Conway) is going to beg for a do-over.

6 Likes

This is the first step in purging the government of anyone who doesn’t toe the Republican line (not Trump, Republican). The Republicans see a golden opportunity to push out anyone who doesn’t share their beliefs, and install their version of the government from top to bottom. If they can’t outright fire people, they will shuffle them into bad jobs, and I suspect everything will become classified so they can’t complain to the press about what is happening to our government. The scientists are just the first…wait until they get to OMB, BLS, all the various organs that give us statistical information on how the nation is working. I suspect all of those will start putting out shaded reports and false numbers, and FOIA will cease to function to get at the real data.

I didn’t think the Republicans would take things this far, looks like I was wrong about that…and this is really where we start to go down the road of losing a functional government system, and eventually the nation as a whole.

28 Likes

This is what you would call “getting with the pogrom.”

32 Likes

If I were at DOE my list would be fake and filled with funny names like Mike Hunt and Harry P. Ness.

11 Likes

A bumper sticker slogan that accurately defines all things Trump.

10 Likes

The first of many lists. Nixon is so envious right now.

10 Likes