Discussion: Report: HHS Considering Tent Cities To House Thousands Of Migrant Children

1 Like

Just horrifying.

Perhaps they’ll find an Aunt Lydia to oversee?

7 Likes

Surely there must be some out-of-business bakeries with spacious ovens available?

8 Likes

Pretty damn hot in El Paso this time of year. Under certain circumstances, sustained high temperatures coupled with high humidity, could be life threatening. Someone should rethink this nutso idea.

16 Likes

Shame on them. Wonderful that they oppose a woman’s right to choose an abortion, but have absolutely no interest in maintaining the welfare of already born children, no matter where they are from.

24 Likes

Tent cities … just call them refugee camps. Appalling.

10 Likes

OMG. I was just thinking of the inhumanity of warehousing young kids in this way. Keeping them in tents in blistering heat is something people don’t even allow for their dogs. I am so ashamed that we are allowing this to happen in our names as Americans.

23 Likes

We are a better people than this.

7 Likes

This is why Trump met Kim, to learn how to do large holding centers correctly.

3 Likes

“The Department of Health and Human Services is considering building tent cities to temporarily house migrant children, McClatchy reported Tuesday, at least one of which would have the capacity to house between 1,000 and 5,000 children.”

"New arrivals will proceed immediately to the showers. Schnell! Schnell!"

10 Likes

Don’t laugh. They told moms they were taking the kids to give them baths.

15 Likes

This must be the Joe Arpaio school of managing alleged “lawbreakers.” These people, these children are refugees who deserve to be treated with respect and compassion. And yes, it will take tax dollars to properly do that. But I would rather see those dollars spent to properly care for refugee families and place them where they can start to build lives here in America rather than wasting millions of dollars on military parades, phony summit meetings, and the exorbitant luxury travel of Trump’s cabinet and directors.

What are Trump, Sessions, and the rest of the gang trying to do? Every action they take seems to be moving us closer to a country that more resembles the Third Reich than America.

7 Likes

I, for one, am not laughing. I know folks recommend looking for something humorous or lighthearted to relieve tension, but these stories about the kids are taking over my thoughts. (I suppose that’s partly due to my upbringing. My mother used to read stories in the newspaper about calamities happening to kids and cry. She always followed her tears with action, however. You’d find her collecting blankets and food in wealthy neighborhoods with no sense of embarrassment.)

16 Likes

Nope - they’re nothing less than internment camps.

Here’s a photo from the last time we did this. The photo is captioned “A child is Tagged for Evacuation”.

Shame. On. Us…

17 Likes

We are a much better nation that this, but Trump and the gang, rather than draining the so-called swamp, are turning our country into a cesspool.

7 Likes

Nope…custom made job for Sheriff Joe…unfortunately :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m not so sure anymore… a not insignificant minority in this country are absolutely heartless and unhinged.

How about we force them all wear a scarlet A for asylum-seekers?

8 Likes

I believe “relocation centers” has historical precedent although “internment camp” is the local vernacular in the western states.

Hey, does Zinke need any historical re-enactors? Might solve the budget problems he was discussing with Rep. Hanabusa

5 Likes

Andersonville was a tent city

8 Likes

Beat me to it!