Discussion: Report Couldn't Say If Jordan Knew Of Sex Abuse At OSU. He Still Claims Vindication

“You guys know me…”

“And immediately Jordan realised that he had let the cat out of the bag and should have eaten his words.”

7 Likes

7 Likes

Odd thing when people don’t believe you that you engaged in intentional blindness to serious abuse or even active coverup, when we are concurrently watching you engage in the same behavior - aggressively - in protecting an abuser of the Constitution, the Country in order to put party first. It isn’t a big stretch to think that you would have put coach/wrestling program over the safety of the team members. Indeed, it is consistent.

11 Likes

Gym still slips up occasionally and asks tablemates in the House cafeteria if anyone’s up for a game of “Tentpole” later.

3 Likes

“If I hold a book open while staring at the camera, that will totally make me look smart. I think it’s right-way up…”

4 Likes

Short answers: if they can’t find nothing, then I’d (somewhat) prefer that, as opposed to a ‘railroaded’ deal that everyone is going to have to live with.

That said, it’s again amazing to watch guys like Northam (yes I went there) and Jordan emulate this era’s political equivalent of Jerry West: Donald John Trump.

8 Likes

If I remember correctly some of those young athletes do not exonerate Gym, they say he HAD to have known what was going on but he turned a blind eye to it. So Gym, don’t exonerate yourself till we hear more from the athletes.

8 Likes

Let’s see, 177 sexually abused, 22 coaches “confirmed to the Investigative Team they were aware of rumors and/or complaints about Strauss”, athletes openly discussed Strauss’ behavior in front of the coaching staff, several athletes testified Jordan himself was aware, and OSU offers “profound regret and sincere apologies to each person who endured Strauss’ abuse,” but Jordan didn’t hear nuthin’.

Got it.

20 Likes

You don’t often find if you decide not to look in the first place and conversely you often find things that don’t exist if you a priori decide they are there to be found.

ETA In the sciences, one tries to avoid this. Not perfectly, but enough to give us cell phones, twitter, and facebook.

Then again…

8 Likes

“I’ve been exonerated! Now, everyone, give me a hand!”

9 Likes

job.

5 Likes

The report does not name Jordan specifically, but says that
investigators could not make “conclusive determinations” about whether
coaches were aware of the abuse or complaints by wrestlers.

Who wrote the report, Bill Barr?

12 Likes

No, but he’s going to investigate the people that wrote it.

9 Likes

That is the most disturbing thing about the whole episode. One or two coaches aware of rumors ought to be enough to trigger an investigation.

10 Likes

Looking at this from the victims’ point of view, it’s possible that many of them don’t want anything more to do with this episode in their lives. Victims, although innocent are often ashamed of the painful events. I can speak for myself, assaulted at aged 5, I was terribly ashamed of it.

11 Likes

Not even. Apparently the first year the guy was there, complaints were made to the school. Should never have gotten to the point where hundreds were abused and a couple dozen coaches were covering it up.

10 Likes

That is disgusting.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that, mtw.

7 Likes

Shades of Penn State! How do this many coaches know and nothing is done? One thing the Trump era has taught me: transgression must be called out early and often. No turning of heads or polite coughs. If you see something, say something.

7 Likes

When gross incompetence is your best defense.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available