Discussion: Rand Paul Flip-Flops On Pompeo, Now Pledges Support

To paraphrase Churchill,

An empty taxi arrived at the Senate and when the door was opened, Rand Paul got out.

19 Likes

Paul is a man of principle. But the principles change with his self-interest.

6 Likes

welcome back 2016

3 Likes

I’m stealing that saying

3 Likes

As bad as this Administration has been, you’re now going to basically get the competence level of DeVos, Carson and Pruitt running foreign policy. They have no quality staff, no policy coherence whatsoever (except their love of Mother Russia), and no vision. Poor Mattis has to try to keep things together while these morons cede half the world to Russia and declare a trade war (or maybe real war) on the other half. I half expect Trump to send the Navy to Panama to punish the Panamanian gov’t for kicking his ass out of the Trump Tower building there, or to stalk Mexico…just because…you know…Mexicans. Trump will start a campaign to re-seize the Panama Canal because that was an issue from his generation (“We stole it fair and square!”). You don’t think that’s coming? Using the military to defend his business interests like the British East India Company? You watch…it’s coming.

17 Likes

What a consummate little twerp!

4 Likes

Because of course he did. Rand wants to be SEEN as taking tough stands. He doesn’t really want to have to back it up. That would require spine and principle and he’s a republican for heaven’s sake.

6 Likes

This may seem like an oblique comment but if you know anyone among your acquaintances who was a middle-class person in the immediate postwar years in England, ask that person what it was like. Because a precipitous decline in a world power’s power brings inconveniences in its wake. Just saying.

13 Likes

too vivid !

1 Like

Pompeo is an apocalyptic, bible thumping freak. You don’t want him conducting nuclear diplomacy. https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/988525136151183365

"The people that worked under him at the CIA that came to us…were scared shitless.”

9 Likes

Few people realize how long rationing lasted. That and the grayness - or should I say greyness - coupled with a post-modern rebuilding plan that was devoid of beauty made visitors understand the general cheerlessness of the inhabitants. Since the island basically saved civilization on it’s own until the US joined, our gratitude cannot be overstated.

10 Likes

As I posted earlier. A no vote on Pompeo was always going to be “a statement of no confidence”, given that McConnell has rigged the system to serve Trump’s whims. Pompeo has at least served, though without distinction, in government. He may well be the best that we can expect from the Great Trump. There is always someone worse in the bottomless GOP basket of degenerates.

4 Likes

Here’s why Donnelly and Manchin removed their spines through their sphincters…

Both are listed by most outlets as “tossup.” It’s pathetic.

3 Likes

Rand Paul was promised something. Don’t hold your breath or anything, but we’ll see what it is soon enough.

6 Likes

I think most “Libertarians” I’ve met mostly like the sound of the word.

8 Likes

Is irasdad slip siding into the kink?

1 Like

Oh, its all OK because I just heard Susan Del Persio, a Republican and idiot mouthpiece say this just means most Dems will be seen as obstructionists because most of them are against Pompeo. Interestingly, this is the same line tRump is trying to make politically.

Imho this makes those that oppose him total heros, willing to do the real work of the committee in assessing his real value towards doing that particular job. It should and will be predictably a Badge of Honor for all Dems as soon as Pompeo, like all other tRump appointees crashes and burns, since all of them have turned out to be such assholes, ready to fuckup at any moment in their respective jobs.

The last time a SoS was voted in on a straight party vote was for the most part aeons ago. Its a position that’s supposed to garner a high degree of confidence from Senators in both parties in representing our country abroad. It says more about tRump and the sycophants that surround him getting this nomination through by a whisker, but who also have no problem putting a partisan in that position representing US diplomacy.

For all their talk about how bad Hilary was as SoS, she was confirmed 94-2. John Kerry was confirmed 94-3. Colin Powell was unanimously confirmed. Condoleeza Rice was 85-13. Sorry, but no matter how you look at it, Pompous Pompeo breaks the mold…and not in a good way either.

14 Likes

I guess his oxycontin courage wore off. Maybe his neighbor can beat the shit out of him again.

8 Likes

Don’t worry about it. I’m sure Susan Collins will come through to say no to Mike. LOL

Maybe the other suckers…er…Democrats who switched in favor of Pompeo will change their mind since all Democratic Congresspeople were frozen out of the State Dinner (yet a new low for DJT).

3 Likes

Rand Paul Flip-Flops On Pompeo, Now Pledges Support

Well, of course he does. Did anyone here expect he wouldn’t? I don’t think so.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available