Discussion: Race Is On To Convinve A Recalcitrant House To Align Behind Paul Ryan

Discussion for article #242003

“I can’t believe they would reject Paul Ryan. I think if they do, they totally marginalize themselves,” Rep. Pete King (R-NY) told reporters, adding that Ryan dropping out of the race would leave Republicans “in total disarray.”

Those New Yorkers. Always the kidders.

Pete…you ARE in total disarray. They ARE rejecting Ryan. And didn’t you make a statement yesterday about retiring if Ryan didn’t get the job? Yeah…your bluff is being called on that.

16 Likes

America, America, oh America…Haven’t we suffered enough at the hands of these gop fools?

1 Like

Boy: Please go out with me.
Girl: Sure, I’ll go out with you-- if you morph into George Clooney and go to bridal showers with me four nights a week.
Boy: I think you might not want to go out with me.
Girl: No, I do want to go out with you. I just want you to become someone totally different first. 'K?

10 Likes

I like how they are sure no one seeking private employment would ever place any conditions on the job description prior to accepting an offer of employment. That’s their view of the world, employer equals master, employee equals slave to master’s desires and control. I’ve had lots of prospective employees put conditions on employment, especially professional employees (no travel, no responsibility for HR, whatever) and if you really want that person or you are indifferent to what they are asking for, you hire on their terms. They glorify the private sector that they seem to know next to nothing about.

8 Likes

Execs put conditions on hiring all the time. Paul’s “you can’t just kick me out when you realize how bad I am at this job” is like the ubiquitous CEO Golden Parachute payday clause–but with with no money. He should talk to Carly.

16 Likes

Instead of negotiating with the “freedom caucus” (or however they style themselves), Mr. Ryan should take the bipartisanship step to open conversations with Democrats for support and votes. He is to be Speaker of the House, not Speaker of the Republican caucus. Oh, wait, bipartisanship is only important when the Republicans want the Democrats to cave. Then never mind. I forgot: Bipartisanship is dead.

11 Likes

“Most folks have never been used to someone applying for a job and telling you, 'I don’t do windows, I don’t do beds,” Salmon said

Unless you happen to be a Republican running for Congress, in which case you say, “I don’t do windows, I don’t do beds, and I’ll do my best to break everything I can get my spiteful little hands on.”

8 Likes

Slightly OT, but I would love to see the look on Eric Cantor’s stupid sour face the last few weeks =D

5 Likes

Cute to use the words “Freedom Caucus” when your main goal is to shut down the Government when you don’t get your way.

12 Likes

Indeed. Most have them have spent an awful lot of time sucking on that government teat they keep decrying.

2 Likes

“His list of demands were so bold, they pass into almost the unreasonable,”

Honey, you wouldn’t know reasonable if it walked up to you and punched you in the nose.

4 Likes

There is nothing surprising here. Ryan doesn’t want the job, and, if he’s going to be pressured into it, then he is smart enough to demand that it be on his terms.

He was clear up front that he’d only be interested if he could actually unify the caucus as opposed to being held up as ‘the one’ who could. Given the hype, any dissent would now be viewed as his fault, so he’s going to insist on an up front promise to toe the line.

He was also clear up front that this is not the part of his life where he’s prepared to be away from family for weeks at a time. He is currently chairing the Ways and Means committee, which many regard as more important than being speaker. That job allows him to spend time at home. I don’t think it’s possible to be speaker and take weekends off, but he’s at least being honest about what it will take to get him to take the job.

In the end, all the discussion about his ‘considering the job’ is nonsense. This set of conditions is intended to bring out the ire of the Freedom Caucus and will result in them ‘rejecting’ him. When they do, he will smile, say he tried, and go back to Ways and Means…which was always where he wanted to be.

9 Likes

2 Likes

His first official act will be to pass the Ryan’s [O]nly Family Leave Act.

7 Likes

“We need to do what the American people want. That’s why Donald Trump is doing well. He’s listening to the American people,” Jones said to reporters on the Hill.

Ummm, yes. Let’s see. Donald Trump has the support of 25% of, to be generous, 32% of American voters. So, in Jones’ view, 8% of all voters dictate what the “people” want.

2 Likes

“We to do what the American people want. That’s why Donald Trump is doing well. He’s listening to the American people,” Jones said to reporters on the Hill.

Perhaps if Trump drops out he can run for Speaker.

3 Likes

Indeed Jake Ryan was acting very odd. I agree with Rep. Salmon’s comment entirely. “Most folks have never been used to someone applying for a job and telling you, 'I don’t do windows, I don’t do beds,” Salmon said

I guess the bottom line here is that the hardliners will create ways to either declare victory on Ryan’s demands like the rule change, ignore them like the weekends off or pretend to accept them. They’ll elect Ryan speaker and then… nothing will change.

So much smoke… so many mirrors…

1 Like

Wait - weren’t these folks practically begging Ryan to run a week or so ago?

Also - “recalcitrant,” that’s the word you’re going to go with? I can think of a few others, but they aren’t so polite.