Discussion: Once Again, Democrats Are Betting All Their Chips On Bob Mueller

I am praying that is is because they have some insider information that there is much more damning evidence out there.

12 Likes

I gave up relying on republicans to do the right thing. Lucy, Charlie Brown and football.

Fool me once, errrrr, we don’t get fooled again.

11 Likes

I suggest the House Dems begin voicing their desire for the appointment of a Special Prosecutor, as opposed to a Special Counsel, as was Mueller. Federal crimes were committed. The evidence is there. Denying the evidence is the same as denying that fish swim in water, or that the Dotard cares about anything other than himself.

12 Likes

The House Dems incompetent handling of the legal and PR battles surrounding the Mueller Report is damaging the 2020 chances for all serious Dems in three ways.

• The lack of vigorous push back against Trump is damaging enthusiasm of the Dem base. Why vote for Dems if they don’t actually lose the power they actually have?
  • The lack of action in the House means the Dem candidates for President have to come up with language to attack Trump on obstruction and collusion while simultaneously not attacking the House Dems. It’s a messaging nightmare that, so far, only Warren has figured out. (Maybe this is illustrative for those of us figuring out who to vote for.)
  • If the House Dems continue to do nothing then the media will move on from this story. They’ll decide there is nothing there, and begin to only report on the investigations into how the Mueller Report investigation began. This has already begun.

Bonus point: As they fumble away their duty to uphold the Constitution the establishment Dems are proving that their critics on the Left, and the handful of Never Trump Republicans, were right all along. Maybe it is time for complete generational change as Mayor Pete and AOC seem to argue.

21 Likes

Mueller’s got a very mystical celebrity quality.
He must have a pretty good idea of what any one of The Beatles felt like in their heyday… EVERYONE stares when they are in public.
When he walks around in public view, it must be quite a sight as the crowds around recognize him.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t put it the way this author puts it.

In fact, a story more descriptive, fruitful and accurate should be this:

#“Trump and the GOP are betting all their chips on Obstruction.”

25 Likes

[House Democrats] are turning to the one person who may be willing and able to bring the report to life: its author.

Don’t anyone tell them that the author had several co-authors.

Barr said Wednesday that “it’s Bob’s call” whether or not he testifies.

Not if a subpoena is issued.

5 Likes

Don’t forget we’re under Calvinball rules regarding subpoenas… Only Roberts knows what ruling he will apply to those.

5 Likes

If the House Dems continue to do nothing then the media will move on from this story

Nothing? Really? What superpowers do you think they have?

Just because the media has an anti-Dem bias, it doesnt mean they aren’t doing anything. If the parties were reversed, the media would be breathlessy reporting every burp from the GOP and have a countdown clock on how long it’s been since the Dem president has not resigned.

19 Likes

There is only one way that the House Democrats can get the information they are seeking … if it is being sought for an impeachment inquiry.

And it looks like Nancy has finally gotten that message.

3 Likes

This is the part I don’t understand. What is the hold up in getting Mueller to testify? Is it Mueller? Is it the Trump White House? Is it Barr?

The Republicans are going with the “case close won’t re-litigate” position. Much of Mueller’s conclusions on obstruction was “congress should decide”. Dems need Mueller to state in public that the Muller report’s position indeed was “congress should decide”. I would think that Mueller himself would be eager to testify given how misleading Barr’s comments have been.

6 Likes

Ergo it’s not “Bob’s call.”

3 Likes

Ah. Gotcha, I was reading it a different way. First cup of tea and slow synapses.

1 Like

. . . and that Mueller would deliver it. It seems out of character, but I suppose that is why people pray hardest when they have the fewest other options.

2 Likes

The headline is just hype. It just stirs the pot for Dems to attack one another over whether to impeach now or later. None of this has ever rested with just Mueller. Would it be nice for Mueller to have everything tied up nice and neat in one fell swoop? Sure, but it was never very likely. There time and lots of threads to pull other than Mueller.This just allows the infighting among Dems at the behest of the certain members of the press. Ain’t easy and ain’t pretty, but neither was Nixon.

5 Likes

Ah, yes! Rather than lead, or do anything to counteract massive Republican’t voter suppression schemes, or do anything to fire up the base (by pushing bullshit messages about bipartisanship and the “good old days”), the pathetic Democratic Party “Leaderships” is putting all of its chips on Red 45. Since the roulette wheel only goes up to 36 it’s a guaranteed losing bet…

1 Like

Um, guess what the hold up is and who is responsible for it. Hint: it’s not the Democrats.

2 Likes

Do the Democrats in leadership ever ask themselves: WWGOPD?

The GOP pounded Benghazi, emails, Uranium One, Clinton Foundation, etc., and made them stick with little to no actual bad underlying behavior. By being bold and relentless and working the refs, they fatally damaged Clinton’s candidacy. With nothing.

What material do the Democrats have to work with? Oh, not a whole lot. Just that the POTUS welcomed help from a hostile foreign power, sought to weaponize the information stolen by that power, and has been sucking up to that hostile foreign power ever since. And he broke the law trying to cover that up.

The GOP manages to spin straw into political gold while the Dems have mastered the alchemical transmutation of gold into lead.

19 Likes

What can they do to counteract massive voter suppression schemes? Not being snarky, but they’re one arm of one half; as we know, the other arm will do nothing. So, are there things they could do?

@turdburgler: Yes, the Democrats should start impeachment - but all of those GOP fun rides you mention were with a GOP House and Senate. Sadly, we don’t have that luxury - and at this rate, we won’t again for a long time.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available