Discussion: NYT Investigation: Trump Engaged In 'Outright Fraud,' Helped Parents Evade Taxes

He liquidated his father entire empire for himself…

The biggest payday he ever got from his father came long after Fred Trump’s death. It happened quietly, without the usual Trumpian news conference, on May 4, 2004, when Mr. Trump and his siblings sold off the empire their father had spent 70 years assembling with the dream that it would never leave his family.

Donald Trump’s cut: $177.3 million, or $236.2 million in today’s dollars.

16 Likes

Or that they as a whole have become bigger aholes in that 20 years time…

2 Likes

Donnie’s ‘Art of the Deal’ was really about breaking into his daddy’s piggy bank.

17 Likes
32 Likes

And Trump will be there headlining:

10 Likes

It also helped that he had one drunk, sensitive elder brother and a gamma-male for the other. The sisters…well, they never counted for much. Except, of course, when they evaded inheritance taxes willingly by signing the sketchy docs.

5 Likes

HOLY SHIT …

I just read the entire article …

All of the … things … that were going on …
It must have been absolutely exhausting ----

I hope he got paid for that —

11 Likes

I’m shocked… so shocked. You just won’t believe how unbelievably shocked I am to hear of this. Here is my shocked face to show you I’m really shocked:

13 Likes

“In every era of Mr. Trump’s life, his finances were deeply intertwined with, and dependent on, his father’s wealth.”

14 Likes

It’s not clear that’s true. Trump is not on any ballots in 2018. So, there’s one plausible interpretation of the guideline by which Mueller could drop a ton of bricks on Trump any day between now and the election.

In unrelated news, brick futures are way up.

17 Likes

What’s that sound? Why, that sounds like the music of an accountant guy who got full immunity singing.

20 Likes
3 Likes

“Helped Parents Evade Taxes”

Well kinda.

Those taxes that the parents didn’t pay were shunted into the kids’ coffers so actually they helped themselves at the taxpayers’ expense.

And they’re still doing it.

It’s a family tradition by now.

30 Likes

Worth remembering, when Nixon told the press “I’m not a crook”, he was talking about (true) reports that he cheated on his taxes and bilked the government for non-security related improvements to his private homes in San Clemente, CA, and Key Biscayne, FL, not Watergate. (He, and most Republicans thought Watergate was just “politics” and not a crime.) It was only after this stuff came out that his popularity began to really drop. Americans don’t like tax cheats.

32 Likes

I gotta read the story, but if the story deals with Fred more so than Donald, then maybe folks can cry ‘shame’. however, if this story’s focus was 90% on Donald Trump, then the family’s response is the equivalent of using Fred Trump’s legacy/memory as a human shield.

10 Likes

Where’s Allen Weisselberg??

Explaining the paper trail details to Mueller’s forensic auditors?

18 Likes

50 - 50 … I’d say –

They shared the same grease rag …

1 Like

The President has attorney Charles Harder representing him on this matter. He’s the lawyer who sank Gawker over the “Hulk Hogan” tape and made the Daily Mail take back some claims against Melania’s past. Don’t be surprised if Harder goes after the Times on privacy or defamation claims.

Also, don’t be shocked if the returns shown to the Times, which acts all too gullible nowadays, are fakes intended to destroy the paper’s reputation “for good”.

7 Likes

No, it’s about Donald and the founding lie to his claim to being a stable Genius,

Fred gave him tens of millions in cash and they used every single dodge in the book to bail Donald out over the years because he was truly an awful businessman.

25 Likes
  • Twawn
  • Tweetrise
  • Midtweet (not to be confused with midst-tweet)
  • Twoon
  • Aftertweet (not to be confused with post-tweet)
  • Tweevening
  • Twusk
  • Twidnight

See also:

• Tweeaster
  • Tweeorial Day
  • Tweet of July
  • Tweet’o’een
  • Tweetsgiving
  • Tweetsmas
  • New Tweet’s Eve
15 Likes