Discussion: Narrow DACA Deal Fails In Senate As Immigration Votes Begin

This is the result of Trump killing DACA, then panicking at the blowback and passing the buck to congress, so the blood would be on their hands last.

But Trump killed DACA.

34 Likes

Do not work with them.

On ANYTHING.

8 Likes

Hey, Flake! Is this what you traded your budget vote for?

22 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

This is likely to remain in the Federal courts for awhile.

7 Likes

Why am I not surprised?

3 Likes

So, the bi-partisan Common Sense Coalition bill that was blasted out of the water by Trump and DHS had a vote of Yes-54 and No-45. The Republicans are filibustering. And Trump had said in January he’d sign any bill they brought to him. The majority of the American people want this and the majority of the Senate voted yes.

So, Trump…what are your feelings about the filibuster now? Are you going to demand that Republicans in the Senate and the House vote for this bill to save the Dreamers and get your wall money? Are you going to “take the heat” like you promised?

ETA: And the Trump plan gets the fewest votes. Failed miserably.

18 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

[quote=“irasdad, post:8, topic:68615”]
My money’s on Friday
[/quote]I’ve got tonight - right after Hannity praises the failure to pass the immigration bill and celebrates soon being able to deport the Dreamers.

7 Likes

They want an overall bill so draconian there’s less chance, at least in their minds, of a demographic shift that favors the Democrats. That’s the price for DACA. Fucking Miller. I’d wring his skinny neck for him.

13 Likes

POTUS seems to think he’s holding all the cards. What if Dems say “ The President is not trustworthy on DACA. He has changed his demands numerous times. Nothing will get through until he stops playing games with people’s lives. We will block everything. Go ahead and kill the filibuster. You’ll regret it if we win the Senate back. And we will, eventually, win it back.”
Then do it.

10 Likes

"The Department of Homeland Security had blasted the bill for creating a “mass amnesty” and for “destroy[ing]” the DHS’ ability to “to remove millions of illegal aliens.” The “mass amnesty” part is of course a distortion if not a lie. Preventing the deportation of “illegal aliens”. Hey, that’s the whole purpose of the bill. “Homeland Security” seems to think they get to set Federal policy, not the Congress.

7 Likes

People want the daca kids to be protected but they don’t want to have to be inconvenienced while doing it. That is why the dems caved on the shutdown it wasn’t playing well with voters

5 Likes

Can we get a roll call on the “centrist’s proposal”?

Surely you are not expecting Trump (or Republicans for that matter) to be consistent or fulfil their promises?

4 Likes

The Democrats’ strategy of surrendering every bit of leverage that they have to the Republicans is working as usual.

1 Like

BASTARDS! BASTARDS!

I’m shocked they didn’t use the shooter’s Hispanic surname to justify this.

November can’t come soon enough.

5 Likes

While the Trump administration has been all over the map on many things, there is one thing on which it has been consistent and rather successful- it seeks to do everything in it’s power to make the USA as white as possible. When they say something different (“I will sign any legislation they bring to me…”) it will end up proving to be a lie. They will say anything, but what they actually do is predictable based on this one metric. The republican party as a whole is not far behind the administration in this regard. The Democrats’ leaders have, of course, known this. All they can do is position themselves as best as possible to win in November. That’s all that was ever possible. Don’t forget, besides this vote and the veto threat, there was also the House. This was never even going to come to a vote in the House, and if it came to a vote, it would not have passed.

12 Likes

Well, there are the two court opinions blocking Trump’s DACA rescission . . .

But SCOTUS agreed to bypass the courts of appeals, so that could go quickly.

10 Likes

In other words, keep Murrica “a white Christian nation.” It is disgusting.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available