Discussion: Nadler: Dems Won't 'Necessarily' Impeach Trump Over 'Impeachable Offense'

There it is. That what repubs are planning on calling a successful impeachment, let alone successful conviction. Dems would be nullifying the lawful (ha!) outcome of the 2016 election and it’s what they’ve been fundraising on.

1 Like

I don’t think there is much chance in hell of the Democrats going down that road.

1 Like

Most excellent.

For every Democratic action there is a crazy ass republican reaction.

I have to disagree with Faris’ analysis here.

The GOP didn’t trade its future to Trump. The GOP traded its agency to Charles Koch in exchange for having a future.

Trump is an opportunist who noticed the incoming swell of Koch power, and rode it into office. Trump engages with the superficial froth of grievance and white supremacy, but has no capacity to participate in the massive, coordinated attack on democracy from a 5th column of libertarian extremists. The GOP stands by Trump because he mostly doesn’t interfere with their naked pursuit of Koch’s agenda, and because they hope the rolling disaster of Trump’s presidency will distract the public from their real game and the weakness of their illegitimacy.

People should be protesting outside of Koch’s home, outside of Sheldon Adelson’s home, outside of Rebekah Mercer’s home. Instead, we have our hands full dealing with concentration camps for children, worrying about the disintegration of NATO, investigating and prosecuting the thousand petty crimes that continue to emerge from the Trump administration, and breathlessly playing will-they-won’t-they over departures from the admin.

Trump belongs in prison – or executed, if he’s guilty of treason – but if he died tomorrow we would still be in grave danger. Koch and his buddies have spent decades wrecking this country’s social and political immune system so they can rule from their mountain of cash. Apparently they never imagined that opportunistic threats might take advantage of that weakness.

3 Likes

Well yeah, but I don’t think we should worry or make decisions based on that. They always react.

I just think the idea of nullification is pretty far out there when impeachment is still hanging in the balance.

3 Likes

An old opinion piece from 2012 which seems to never age, and the opinion expressed is that the fault is with the republicans. This was after McConnell’s infamous remarks about making Obama a one term president but before McConnell refused to hold hearings on Garland. IMO it perfectly illustrates why they are in fact the problem.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges.

7 Likes

Crazy ass reaction to what is only a theory. The theory of nullification has never been legally upheld by federal courts.

1 Like

Right. It’s far out there.

1 Like

235 Democrats can and probably will impeach this president. 53 repub senators may all vote against conviction, but this action shouldn’t be taken into consideration while considering action on the former.

1 Like

Looks like Lil’ Nancy is once again taking impeachment off the table. What would be an impeachable offense to the Dino Dems?

Probably they won’t impeach because Fox will say its “politically motivated” (as why shouldn’t it be?). And the Senate won’t go along.

The people in the House must do their jobs, even if the Senate refuses to do theirs.

1 Like

The Clinton impeachment was very effective for the repug party: as you recall the repugs “won” the next presidential election, because -surprise!" the Democrats/Gore hid from the Clintons during the race.

2 Likes

I know, I know… “Keep yer powder dry!”

It’s the Dino Dem catch-phrase.

Somewhere they must have mountains of dry powder. But evidence of treason and open witness tampering by the subject of the investigation isn’t good enough to strike a match to that there powder. What is?

2 Likes

Lewinsky had an affair with her former high school drama teacher while she was in college. In phone calls to him, she bragged about having an affair with someone in the White House.
I’m not so sure Lewinsky didn’t go from giving a consensual blowjob to being part of Tripp’s plan to get revenge on Bill for not being anything more than a disposable toy to him.
This never did sound right to me. No one who did well in school and college could be this dumb:

Q: Monica, why did you keep that black dress? … Blue dress.

Lewinksy: I didn’t have a reason … if I remember correctly, I didn’t really realise that there was anything on it until I went to go wear it again …

… I had shown the dress to Linda at that point and had just sort of said to her … “Isn’t this stupid?” Or, you know, “Look at this, isn’t this gross?” Or whatever. I don’t really remember exactly what I said.

And she told me that I should put it in a safe deposit box because it could be evidence one day. And I said that was ludicrous because I would never - I would never disclose that I had a relationship with the president, I would never need it.

And then when Thanksgiving time came around and I told her that I was going to wear it for Thanksgiving, she told me I looked fat in the dress, I shouldn’t wear it. She brought me a jacket from her closet … to try to persuade me not to wear the dress.

So I ended up not wearing it and then I was going to clean it. I took it with me up to New York and was going to clean it up there and then this broke.

At one time the Koch brothers had a lot of power and influence. It was waning before Trump’s campaign. Adelson, the Mercers and others and organizations like ALEC that they helped to fund and start have supplanted them. Not too long ago the Koch brothers publicly made a statement about disagreeing with Trump. They were ridiculed by many Republicans in the media. Had the Koch brothers died in a plane crash during Trump’s campaign, he would’ve still won. Hell, if I remember right, they were against Trump from the start. Sure, they like the tax cuts but most any Republican president would have went for it while they had all three branches under their control. I think of them as empty nesters who are sitting back and watching the children they reared go out on their own. And the kids don’t listen to them much anymore. There’s too damn much money out there, Billionaires are not very rare anymore. Plenty of money from sources other than the Kochs. They were instrumental in creating the agenda, I just don’t see them as being as relevant as they once were.

2 Likes

By the way …

Welcome ! —

2 Likes

I, too, hold several incidents against him from all the way back in the 90s.

1 Like

Given the shit storm Trump is in for, Nadler is smart to set a high the bar. He can look magnanimous by overlooking the occasional who-has’t-committed-a-little-impeachable-offense-here-and-there impeachable offense, so when the Mother of All Impeachable Offenses (MOAIO) impeachable offenses come around they will be impossible for even the republicans to ignore. (Well, at least for enough republicans.)

You mean a button that cancels the last thing you typed or the last operation in the app?

Shake the phone. It’ll ask you if you want to cancel the last thing you did.

That’s your eraser.

I reject the assumptions behind this line.

The rest of what you quoted seems fine to me.

Thanks.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available