Discussion: Nadler: Dems Won't 'Necessarily' Impeach Trump Over 'Impeachable Offense'

Tapper pressed, asking what the difference was between an impeachable offense and an impeachable offense “important enough to actually begin proceedings of impeachment?” “It’s not necessarily a difference, it’s simply two different considerations,” Nadler said. “You don’t necessarily launch an impeachment against the President because he committed an impeachable offense.”

As clear as fog.

14 Likes

And secondly, how important were they? Do they rise to the gravity where you should undertake an impeachment?”

What is the specific gravity of a blow job?

47 Likes

And third, would the Senate vote to convict?

31 Likes

What is the ground speed velocity of a blow job?

5 Likes

This is the political analogue of prosecutorial discretion. In the case of impeachment, another consideration (which he does not mention) is that even if you think that Trump’s offenses warrant his removal from office, you may judge that it is not worth pressing forward with the impeachment process if the prospects for conviction and removal are slim, as will be the case unless a substantial number of Republican Senators appear open to voting for his removal.

37 Likes

African or European?

19 Likes

Maybe I’m just being a Pollyanna, but perhaps Nadler is holding his fire because he know much more is coming? Much more serious violations that will actually leave no choice but to impeach?

If this is wrong, then he learned the wrong lessons from the

20 Likes

I don’t know that!?

4 Likes

My guess is that what he means but is trying not to say is that they don’t want to begin impeachment procedures unless they know that the most vocal portions of the public will not resent them for doing so. Basically, we are cowards. Make us do it, please, because if you don’t force our hand, we won’t do it. We will see in the coming weeks if there is some reluctance to pursue meaningful investigation. If there is reluctance, it will be because everyone knows where it will lead, and they don’t have the backbone to go down that path. (There are less judgemental readings of the situation, but his response is so mealy-mouthed that it is hard to interpret it as anything other than evasion of a difficult issue, and there is nothing a politician likes less than having to take a firm position on a difficult issue.)

6 Likes

That’s the issue. If the offense had been commited by a Democrat, the House would have already impeached him or her (especially her). But since it’s the GOP, they’re going to have to wait until his approval rating drops to the point that the Senate is worried that they can’t be re-elected while winking at the treasonous behavior. It really is a political choice–not a legal one.
The same people who were ready to start impeachment of Hillary Clinton on day one will scream about political abuse no matter how egregious the crimes.

18 Likes

Talking impeachment on a Sunday a.m. talk show is getting serious. Not to say that it’s possible, but it’s just nice to have the term out there for everyone to see.

24 Likes

I agree entirely, but what he actually said was silly and counter-productive.

11 Likes

Well said, boomerfed. The Clinton references made by others actually illustrate the point. A rush to impeachment can lead a very large number of people to make a very large mistake.

9 Likes

No need to impeach immediately. Better to let the House investigate everything under the sun and let Trump suffer the “1000 Cuts” fate. Let him twist in the bitter wind for the rest of his lame term. Impeachment is just dry powder to be preserved for when the time is right.

46 Likes

I wonder if there is even ONE Rethug in the Senate that would vote to impeach? I bet, even at this late stage, they never bring it up talking among themselves. They are a bunch of useless cowards.

9 Likes

I read this as Tapper asking Nadler “Are you going to impeach him? Huh? Huh? Are you? Yes or no, impeach or not impeach, which one, huh?,” and Nadler saying “Look, we might, we might not, we haven’t actually decided yet what with the new Congress not even being officially seated yet, and also it’s not my personal decision and there are other people I have to talk to, so just back off, will you?”

28 Likes

He’s holding his fire because he’s not a jerk. Only an asshole would go on national tv and promise impeachment proceedings at this point.

34 Likes

Par for the course.

Yes the Iraq War was bad and illegal, and it cost 5 Trillion dollars and 4,000 dead soldiers, but you don’t necessary prosecute or even investigate what happened.

Yes the widespread fraud committed by the banking industry was bad and nearly led to a Second Great Depression but you don’t necessary investigate or hold anyone accountable.

Franken put his hand on a woman’s waist while taking a photo with her???..GET HIM THE FUCK OUT OF HERE NOW!!!

21 Likes

New house completes their long list of investigations first. Aggregate those facts with Muellers then drop them all at once on the Donald and his crime family like the 16 ton weight in a Monty Python sketch. Expose their crimes for the world to see, dish out maximum sentences to set an example to any other grifters who might be contemplating betraying the US in the same manner and then, sure, impeach the orange menace if you like.

Please hurry though, we’re all badly in need of a good nights sleep.

19 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available