Discussion: Nadler: Dems Won't 'Necessarily' Impeach Trump Over 'Impeachable Offense'

Eleven minutes explaining to O’Donnell what his approach to impeachment will be in the calm, no drama, no hysterics approach he’s taking to something as serious as anything we’ve confronted lately.

@emjayay

2 Likes

Are there two Emily Dickinsons? The only one I know is the morbid bitch of Amherst, and this poem isn’t the Dickinson I learned in college.

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

Is anyone thinking about nullification rather than impeachment?

How would that work?

The elephant in the room is the bizarre situation in which Trump would have been arrested, tried, convicted, sentenced and imprisoned in the speed of light in a vacuum were he not president.

But is thought by nearly everyone to be immune to conviction in an impeachment trial with a Republican Senate.

That item, especially juxtaposed with the 1974 reality of Nixon’s near-certain would-be conviction by the same legislative body, is more of a commentary of a completely broken governmental apparatus for “justice under the law”.

IF Trump either

• avoids an impeachment referral OR
  • is referred and acquitted by the Senate OR
  • avoids criminal prosecution like an ordinary citizen

He will have demonstrated that, for the remainder of his term, he is not subject to our laws. And for a person with the predilections of Trump, that is a royal coronation–not figurative, but ACTUAL

5 Likes

It would be.

The GOP seems set on handing him more power than King George III had.

2 Likes

Starr was appointed Special Prosecutor to look into the claims surrounding a failed land deal (Whitewater) and spent years trying find anything house as an excuse to impeach Clinton. The only thing they came up with was Clinton stupidly trying to play to clever by half, the smectics of the wording in a despot ion question over getting a BJ from a consenting adult that was not his wife, which he (for obvious reasons) he was not keen to acknowledge occurred.

2 Likes

Here it is as an actual video crawl. Pretty amazing. For those who didn’t click on the Twitter link, this is word-for-word the opening paragraph of the WaPo story yesterday.

2 Likes

I agree with your observations, except that I think what’s broken is not so much our governmental apparatus as it is the Republican Party.

And in the last decade or so I have begun to believe that it’s broken almost beyond repair.

6 Likes

I am hopeful (do not ask me why :laughing:) that Mueller also is aware of what I just wrote and would not wish for Mango Menace to wind up this entire spectacle crowing on FOX about Mueller:

“Mueller had NUTTIN on me!!”

nuttin

1 Like

come on …

you can do better than that –

2 Likes

As you know, Latin American political realities are more desperate and hopeless. What frustrates me with this country is that we could solve all of this tomorrow…IF legions of Millennials got out of their parents’ basements and exercised about 50% of the political zeal and interest of folks over 65*

*NO…I’m not talking about the highly visible youngsters at the marches and rallies…I’m talking about the drones and gnomes mellowing out: secure that they will be 28 forever (like I felt when I was that age)

2 Likes

I’m not seeing that, emiliano. I’m seeing a hell of a structure in Mueller’s case - the way he has done this from the outside in. It’s pretty brilliant.

And he’s already told us Trump is part of a conspiracy and that he committed a felony with Cohen.

3 Likes

Yes, Starr was appointed after the tenure of the first Special Prosecutor, (Republican) Robert Fiske, expired. Fiske had more or less cleared Clinton of wrong-doing but Starr was chosen by certain rabid Republicans, not only to keep in pursuit of the phantom “Whitewater” quarry but also, with Brett Kavanaugh’s help, to visualize for us all how Hillary Clinton personally murdered Vince Foster.

It only went down-hill from there.

4 Likes

Thanks. I DO NOT want for Mueller to be stopped by Trump’s enablers.

4 Likes

I don’t think he’s going to be, but let’s say they let that happen - they can’t do anything about the state investigation so there is always that.

1 Like

Yes, it is a crying shame that, with all our “advantages” (albeit not all of them having been justly obtained), we are here today in this sorry situation.

I don’t know if your answer is the answer, but I’d guess it’s probably part of an answer.

1 Like

Well, not in the House or Senate, but there have been noises in that direction in academia.

Jon Turley brought it up with regard to Clinton. Akhil Reed Amar and others have discussed it as well.

I have no plans to embroider any or all of it on throw pillows, just taking comfort for now in an eternal thought of what hope looks like. Morbid bitch, however, would seem to be a barrier in taking a more favorable view of the few words I’ve fastened onto.

2 Likes

We agree it was a farce when Rs tried to impeach Clinton? All of it was a juiced up nothingburger by folks who had worse in their closets. I am ALL FOR Dems using impeachment in their own sweet time, if ever. I have some hope that Pelosi, Schiff, Nadler will all perform well and with good coordination and a shrewd gameplan on many fronts - with or without impeachment.

What will impeachment bring in the mind of voters this time, nearing 2020, when they see their Senator or Rep refuse to vote in the face of overwhelming evidence? If all other avenues fail and Chump still is on his feet a yr from now, making the Rs go on record is a real win (instead of them getting to pretend not to see anything). Even if it fired up R base, I think we were much better off in Kavanaugh hearings getting those Rs to refuse decency and lawfulness on camera and show Ds doing the right thing.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available