Discussion: MS Judge Who Rejected 15-Week Abortion Ban: 8-Week Ban ‘Smacks Of Defiance’

The same judge who struck down Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban just a few months ago said Tuesday that a new six-week ban signed into law by the state’s governor “smacks of defiance.”

Then do something about it. If someone defies a court order, hold them in contempt. Fines, or even jail time, would be appropriate. Finger wagging does absolutely nothing with the current GOP

It’s cool, but not accurate. Thanks for making me check. According to Gizmodo

Catholic hospitals must be quite a trip in some places. When I was born my mother had just returned from Argentina where my father was working in oil exploration. She was staying with her sister in Michigan and was taken to a Catholic hospital when her time came. For some reason she couldn’t nurse and so I wasn’t fed at all for several days. Mother’s milk or nothing! My father finally arrived from Argentina and raised holy hell when he found out I wasn’t being fed. I guess I would not have been fed until my mother was ready to leave the hospital and those days it was usually about a week.
We currently live near a big Catholic hospital and it is one of the best in town so I am by means condemning Catholic hospitals because of what happened at one 80 years ago.

2 Likes

I knew it had to be too simple. But thank all the gods we didn’t stay with Roman numerials.

2 Likes

The Catholic Church in S. America has been in the Dark Ages ever since it was inflicted on the poor natives by the Spanish & Portuguese. So many sad and terrible things that happen there as a result. I remember as a teenager, visiting a town in Brazil famous for having as many churches as days of the year. A friend was taking me around to see the sights and while we were leaving one church a woman litterly in rags came in and deposited a coin in the “poor box”. The church was famous for the cures its relic imparted. I don’t remember what the relic was but do still remember all the body parts, models thankfully, hanging in one of the transept wings that represented cures. Pretty grisly sight.

4 Likes

The angle counting gets pretty creative, especially that extra doodad on the “9”.

1 Like

Yup, conception occurs when the fertilized egg implants in the wall of the uterus. Until then it has no chance of becoming a viable fetus…

1 Like

6 Likes

But in the meantime the rapes continue…

1 Like

Swoon! Have you read the later books? Stories of earth sea, Tehanu and the farthest shore? Very different from the first three but also awesome

1 Like

No, no. I mean that pregnancy is counted from the date of your last period. Ovulation is about 14 days after that (give or take). So the sex that lets the sperm meet the egg happens two to three weeks into pregnancy.

It’s also not at all a purely hypothetical situation. There have been at least three cases like this I can think of within the past 10 years in South America that attracted attention (Argentina and Brazil, can’t remember if the third was also in one of those or another country). In all three I believe the rapist was the girl’s father - not really a situation where she can report it. In two she was able to get an abortion, but in one she was forced to carry it to term and deliver by C-section (because normal delivery would have likely killed her, another example of how grotesque this is). [ETA: I see lastroth already linked to this one]

In the one in Brazil, the Catholic Church actively campaigned to block the girl (who was 9) from having an abortion, and afterward excommunicated the doctors and the mother - but not the rapist father, since he had confessed.

2 Likes

I’m sure that’s the eventual goal.

Who counts it that way?? You cannot be pregnant until there is a fertilized egg and physicians don’t count it as a pregnancy until the egg is implanted in the uterine wall. That is when it has a chance at survival and to grow into a fetus.

1 Like

i did. and for me, they were even darker than the first 3.

1 Like

re; the CATHOLIC church…NOTRE DAME cathedral was burned… did they POPE get the message…

I suggest that idiot sountherners be given all the opioids they want…that will prevent a lot of this nonsense…this will render them unable to do much of any thing…and any women can flatten them with a swat…

Yes, very dark, but also explicitly grappling with questions of what does the “hero’s journey” look like when you dont abandon everyone who ever loved you and go haring off into the wild blue yonder, which is pretty rare in fantasy.

1 Like

me,I just want to live on the mountainside with Ogion

1 Like

Who counts that way?

Both of my maternity providers and many,many published resources(for example: https://www.webmd.com/baby/understanding-conception
https://www.mamamaternity.co.nz/step-by-step-guide/week-1/ )

You’re right that you’re not officially pregnant until implantation -but once you are you’re officially three to four weeks in. In my experience, pointing out the absurdity of this gets one labeled a troublemaker

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available