Discussion: MS Judge Who Rejected 15-Week Abortion Ban: 8-Week Ban ‘Smacks Of Defiance’

2 Likes

Sorry but that’s not ‘defiance’…that’s a spit in the face. Creepy old white men.

14 Likes

“Why did Mississippi pursue an even more draconian law than the one a federal judge blocked just a few months ago?”

Mississippi is the West Virginia of Alabamas.

18 Likes

Einstein’s definition of insanity?

3 Likes

It’s a good thing it wasn’t a negative eight week limit or we’d all be in trouble…

2 Likes

I think the judge may have a little surprise for Miss Thing Issippi.

4 Likes

You just made baby Louisiana cry.

10 Likes

Georgia and South Carolina are feeling left out…

6 Likes

Message to Judge: “Seven weeks. That’s all you have to know.”

1 Like

Technically, it doesn’t meet the requirements, since the makeup of the courts have changed in the intervening time.

1 Like

If they keep cutting weeks at this rate, eventually they will have to start prohibiting a failure to get pregnant as a kind of pre-abortion. (Can’t waste those eggs and sperm clouds)

11 Likes

He brought up the hypothetical example of a 10- or 11-year old rape victim who would be forced under the law to bring a pregnancy to term, if she hesitated at first to inform her parents of the rape.

“The child must bring this fetus to term under the statute?” he asked, per multiple outlets.

This is a good point. I’m in favor of abortion under any circumstances in which a woman or girl chooses to end a pregnancy, but I do appreciate when people offer scenarios such as this one because it does force some to reconsider their position. It’s not odd for a woman or girl to wait for a time before reporting a rape or sexual assault especially when it’s committed by a man they know. There are all sorts of complicated emotions tied up in in turning in someone you know for a crime of that magnitude. Plus, unlike reporting a stranger rape, there’s a distinct possibility that depending on who it is you’ll have zero support from your friends and family. That’s a lot to consider. If it’s a family member, pastor, popular boy in school, etc. you could lose your whole world. The decision to prosecute under those circumstances is an enormous one and we shouldn’t expect women and girls to make it a few days or even weeks.

19 Likes

I believe that the right is passing as many anti-choice laws now in a deliberate effort to drive abortion choice advocates - and their Democratic allies - into a frenzy from now to November 2020. The rationale being that if they can keep the left occupied with fighting against these laws - and their immediate, devastating impacts - they keep the left from engaging on other issues. And they can then say (as people like Ann Coulter have) “all you care about is abortion!”.

2 Likes

Plus a young girl might not even realize what is happening to her body.

It’s grotesque that we’re even having to have discussions like this in the 21st century.

11 Likes

I wish the religious zealots would provide a coherent explanation of all of God’s abortions, i.e. all the miscarriages that far far outnumber any elective abortions women have. Why does God murder so many babies?

7 Likes

I’m kind of throwing up in my mouth as I type this, but you’re exactly right and a young girl may not even realize what happened (the rape) until weeks or months later. She may still be thinking it was a game or whatever sick shit rapists tell little girls they’re doing to them. Plus, haven’t we all seen enough episodes of SVU to know it’s pretty common for rapists and child molesters to threaten their victims into silence? I mean, how long has it taken many of the Catholic Church victims to have the courage to come forward?

11 Likes

I wish there were some sanction that could be invoked past just striking the law down. Does this qualify as insurrection?

1 Like

Why do so many immortal souls pass through this realm with nary a, well, soul noticing their passing? If this world was built to test men’s souls, what sort of test do those constitute? Are there a trillion some pre-infant souls floating around up there in heaven (or did they wind up in the other place because they were never baptized)?

I wonder why they never ask these questions…

5 Likes

Their hatred of women is so intense, that is what I chalk it up to hatred plus fear of women. They are emboldened by our Pus President and they have no shame.

2 Likes

Ironically, this may be particularly true in very conservative communities, exactly like those passing these bans.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available