Discussion: MS Judge Who Rejected 15-Week Abortion Ban: 8-Week Ban ‘Smacks Of Defiance’

It would be wrong to spoil their “innocence” to tell them what’s going on with their bodies.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of “disingenuous” legislation being passed these days in Miss., Ala., Georgia, N.C., et al. I feel as if these states are refighting the civil war and reconstruction by passing laws that make a conservative/reactionary statement (and are obviously unconstitutional). You’d think they could content themselves with a resolution condemning this, that, or the other; but no, they have to assert their power by passing new laws making their own constituents suffer, and they perhaps don’t even care what happens to the legislation in the federal courts.

1 Like

The Code provides for penalties for filing clearly meritless actions. I wonder if the state could be penalized for causing litigation by enacting meritless statutes? It might make these idiots take a moment before trying to outdo all the other states by make it harder and harder for women to have control over their bodies.
Meanwhile, another child died in custody at the border and we have a cabinet secretary who didn’t know the difference between REOs and Oreos when the former is integral to his department and the latter is not. Who cares about the already-born, especially if they’re not middle class and richer, much less white.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s why sex education classes are such a horror…

2 Likes

sparrowhawk: not raised catholic

2 Likes

The old Catholic scenario sent unbaptized innocents to limbo to await the day of judgement, but I think they got rid of limbo a few years back. Not sure where they go now.

1 Like

Actually, I was, but I never really believed. Our proctor for Confirmation classes told us a “heartwarming” and “funny” story about how she was baptized twice. She was born premature, so they weren’t sure if she would live. So of course the most important thing they had to do was rush her to the chapel and baptize her. When she pulled through, she went through with the whole ceremony at their regular church as well for the benefit of the family.

I honestly don’t know what that story was meant to convey. To me, it just showed how utterly ridiculous the whole thing was. What sort of deity would condemn/deny a child just because some words hadn’t been spoken or they hadn’t been dunked in a pool?

@patl Yeah, Virgil leads Dante through Limbo in the Divine Comedy which includes all the infants not baptized and figures like Socrates who didn’t have the benefit of being “saved” on account of being born 400 years earlier than the Savior. But the Church hasn’t exactly been consistent on that point over the centuries and I don’t know what the current line of belief is now either.

7 Likes

At one time I worked on the OB/GYN floor of a Catholic hospital. There was one nurse who ran around baptizing every clot that got passed just in case.

4 Likes

didn’t anyone ever raise their hand and ask the nuns about all those baby souls? seems like every CCD class we took some new kid always did.

Is sparrowhawk because you like raptors or because of the wizard of earthsea?

2 Likes

Didn’t have nuns. It was just the church my mom dragged me and my brothers to on Sundays and Catechism classes were run by volunteer parents. One of the first big chinks in the facade for me was when one of the students asked a linguistics question (not that any of us were old enough to understand that at the time) but the poor parent tried to answer it theologically. They asked why is it “one, two, three, four…” instead of, say, “six, three, nine, five…” and the teacher said, “Because God said so.” Basically no one in the class liked that answer, even the ones who were inclined to believe. The whole episode made it clear to me that most of the adults in the church really didn’t understand what they were teaching any better than we did.

I’m a fan of the Archipelago. And since it’s a “use name,” it seemed appropriate to adopt for myself on the Interwebs.

2 Likes

They’ll start locking women up for menstruating (which would be one way of suppressing the women’s vote).

1 Like

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt here but Dems can walk and chew gum at the same time.

We might just want to add to the messaging how much each of these states have spent defending their narrowing of abortion rights since Roe v Wade. It won’t change the hard core force birther’s minds but it would be a way to show what the state couldn’t do for all of it’s citizens if it weren’t for their unconstitutional laws getting shot down in the courts.

3 Likes

He brought up the hypothetical example of a 10- or 11-year old rape victim…

Hypothetical?!?

We’re talking about Mississippi, right?

3 Likes

You’ve probably have read this but if not it’s gut wrenching.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/03/01/an-year-old-pleaded-an-abortion-after-she-was-raped-she-was-forced-give-birth/?utm_term=.d1b185fccbaa

2 Likes

Don’t sue me if this is wrong. I just saw it on Facebook.

1 Like

It’s worth remembering that in the considered opinion of modern medical science conception happens in week two to three of pregnancy

@Bri2k

1 Like

I still have my paperback Earthsea trilogy from 7th grade - a friend got L-Guin to sign my Tombs of Atuan

4 Likes

The same judge who struck down Mississippi’s 15-week abortion ban just a few months ago said Tuesday that a new six-week ban signed into law by the state’s governor “smacks of defiance.”

Then do something about it. If someone defies a court order, hold them in contempt. Fines, or even jail time, would be appropriate. Finger wagging does absolutely nothing with the current GOP

It’s cool, but not accurate. Thanks for making me check. According to Gizmodo

Catholic hospitals must be quite a trip in some places. When I was born my mother had just returned from Argentina where my father was working in oil exploration. She was staying with her sister in Michigan and was taken to a Catholic hospital when her time came. For some reason she couldn’t nurse and so I wasn’t fed at all for several days. Mother’s milk or nothing! My father finally arrived from Argentina and raised holy hell when he found out I wasn’t being fed. I guess I would not have been fed until my mother was ready to leave the hospital and those days it was usually about a week.
We currently live near a big Catholic hospital and it is one of the best in town so I am by means condemning Catholic hospitals because of what happened at one 80 years ago.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available