Discussion: Montana GOP Candidate Charged With Assault Has A History Of Beating Up On The Press

1 Like

In its editorial rescinding an endorsement of Gianforte, the Billings Gazette said that the Wednesday incident puts Gianforte’s April comments in a new light.

Bad endorsement, a LITTLE forethought could have prevented it.

6 Likes

“Billionaire tech entrepreneur” who is not used to having to answer to anybody, including the press, who has a short temper, thinks advocating violence is funny, and thinks he’s above the law. And who then lies about it.

Just what we need more of in Washington.

15 Likes

So this is normal for Republicans? This is where we stand now?
Sinclair Lewis said “When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
I think fascism really started showing it’s face about six months ago.

15 Likes

And the award for spineless editorial CYA pin-wheeling goes to:

THE BILLINGS GAZETTE!

9 Likes

”In the past, he has encouraged his supporters to boycott certain newspapers, singled out a reporter in a room to point out that he was outnumbered, and even made a joke out of the notion of choking a news writer…”

“Never forget the press is the enemy…The press is your enemy…Enemies. Understand that?” – Nixon

15 Likes

Sue. Sue the living shit out of this violent man.

He has a history of labeling the press as the “enemy”, of open hostility to the press, of encouraging boycotts of news media, of “joking” about choking a reporter.

There is a pattern here prior to an actual unprovoked violent assault.

Sue the shit out of this… “man”.

8 Likes

Agreed - I hope Jacobs is already wearing a cervical brace and has contacted a personal injury lawyer. With eye witnesses of his hands around Jacobs’ throat, the payday should be grand!

8 Likes

I normally hate people suing for frivolous reasons.
This one has bigly yuge merit.
I smell a strong scent of concussion, whiplash, emotional duress, and loss of companionship.

8 Likes

So, these people are perfectly okay if Sean Penn decides to haul off and punch a photographer again, right? Or Alec Baldwin? I expect not.

Basically, they’re saying, “I don’t agree with you so it’s okay if I assault you.” Wow. Just wow.

8 Likes

…singled out a reporter in a room to point out that he was outnumbered…

If he manages to get to DC, he will discover that he is outnumbered by the press.

That would be the time for intense reporting on his Russian investments. I foresee many annoying questions in his future. Reporters can even wait in the halls of Congress and ambush him with questions, and there’s nothing he can do about it.

9 Likes

Considering Gianforte was endorsed by 3 or 4 newspapers in Montana would tend to belie the long running conservative myth that there is a liberal media.

10 Likes

Hmmm… I was looking for a catchy phrase for this administration’s and GOP congress’ platform. Thank you.

2 Likes

Gee. The guy proclaims he literally believes a human being can live to be 600 years old (and that’s why retirement is evil) and that didn’t tip any of these editorial boards off back then that he is a mentally unhinged weirdo?

12 Likes

Does this mean I can punch Sean Hannity now?

13 Likes

Well, they’re not so much newspapers, as newsletters. Top newspaper in Montana, the Billings Gazette, has a daily circulation of 39,000.

2 Likes

MT GOP voter to me just now, knowing I work for @CNN: “That audio made me cheer.” She smiled as she walked in to vote for Gianforte.

6 Likes

It not right but Ryan will still take him in DC.

1 Like

No but he can punch you.

1 Like

“GOP Candidate’s Party Has A History Of Beating Up On The Press”
FIFY

1 Like