Discussion: MO Rep. Apologizes For Misspeaking About 'Consensual Rapes'

Ah, but that was back in 2012, pre-Trump days.

Once they discovered they could win elections with the slogan “Grab 'em by the pussy”, tactics changed slightly.

6 Likes

That jumped out at me too. And why the need to separate between a rape where someone jumps out of the bushes and date rape? As if getting raped by someone you trust is soooo much better than getting raped by a stranger.

22 Likes

The only exceptions would be when the mother’s life is at risk, but not for cases of rape or incest.

5 Likes

GOP: “You’re owned by the man you’re dating/married to. A stranger raping you is infringing on your man’s property rights.”

15 Likes

Then '18 happened and those reps who don’t live in ‘gated communities’ (gerrymandered) are now updating their resumes.

But by all means, let em continue…

7 Likes

Back when they only had Justice Pubeycoke.

Long before they had Justice Stolenseat and Justice Rapeydrunk.

21 Likes

It is sooooo much worse.

4 Likes

Another in the long, looong history of Republican face-palm-worthy remarks about rape. At this point, Republicans should just put “Really, rape’s not a big deal” into their official platform and get it over with.

6 Likes

There’s just not much at all to imagine though.

9 Likes

Police said Juan Leon-Gomez, 26, of Massillon, was arrested Wednesday after a mother reported that her daughter was missing. […]

Ohio’s new “heartbeat bill” means that the 11-year-old girl will likely be forced to carry the child to birth, regardless of the fact that she was raped.

According to NPR, the “Human Rights Protection Act,” as the heartbeat bill was renamed, bans abortions as early as five or six weeks, before many women even know they’re pregnant. It adds criminal penalties for doctors who violate the law, and does not include exceptions for cases of rape or incest.

8 Likes

Because they didn’t include a rape/incest exception to the law.

Everyone can agree that a woman walking to her car after work and attacked has no control over her situation (except that she shouldn’t have been wearing that skirt and pantyhose, so maybe she’s a closet slut and we shouldn’t give her a pass).

But then to not include a rape exclusion, you have to de-legitimatize acquaintance rape, make it that the woman bears responsibility in those situations, therefore you can force her to give birth.

He’s just getting a lot of shit for being too honest about their position, and not using the dog-whistle words.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Ahhh, just threw up in my mouth a little because you’re exactly right.

11 Likes

Lotta siblings got kicked out of bed by their sisters after the vote, I see…

4 Likes

It’s always disturbing to see what people are willing to sell their soul for.

5 Likes

Covenant rape.

7 Likes

I remember reading about a rape trial in Florida (where else!) back in the 80’s.
The judge was browbeating the victim about what she was wearing. “That skirt was mighty short”, “You came on to him, right?”
I forget what the verdict was but enough people were outraged about it.
As an aside spousal rape was practically legal in most states until the 90’s, 1990’s.

5 Likes

I wish I didn’t have to say that’s exactly what I had to do with my oldest brother when I was 13 to his 15. Fortunately I was a competitive swimmer for 5 years by then, swam fly, and was strong enough to kick his ass out, and push my dresser in front of the door every night after that, when I woke up one night with him in my bed.

Nice if was really just a good joke…

5 Likes

Whoever said:
“Republicans believe the evil beast who raped and impregnated a 12 year old girl has more rights than
the 12 year old girl who must bear his child.”

was on to something.

16 Likes

Bit more recent than that Italy’s high court ruled that a woman in tight jeans could not have been raped, as she would have had to have helped remove them due to being so tight, therefore must have consented…

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available