Discussion: Mayor Pete Buttigieg Makes His Move In Early-Voting States

2 Likes

To be played by Jim Parsons in the movie.

14 Likes

Interesting. But is he flavor of the month?

5 Likes

while at least 70 percent survey’s respondents have formed opinions about the other candidates — including more than 90 percent for Sanders and Biden.

This may be indicative of plateauing support for the current front runners.

9 Likes

I have nothing against homosexual people. I see no way a majority of Americans will vote for a homosexual president.

5 Likes

Exact opposite of Trump Young ,good looking ,personable , intelligent
Speaks 8 languages Trump speaks none

21 Likes

You lost me right there.

23 Likes

> Butti-mentum

Can we never see this term used again…thanks

38 Likes

Why? Please explain.

All true.

But there’s a ton of other stuff that hasn’t bubbled to the “media buzz” surface yet.

Including his tsk, tsk, tsking of “coastal elites”.

And his urging Dems to pander to “white, rural” Trump voters.

And his handling of working people, the poor, and minorities (vis-Ă -vis development) in South Bend.

A lot of which, in fact, is not the exact opposite of Trump.

18 Likes

Many of the people who wouldn’t vote for him because he is homosexual wouldn’t vote for him anyway because he is a Democrat. This is going to be an election where independents will elect the winners. After Trump they may be willing to try something totally different.

9 Likes

At this stage, “Who is your choice?” doesn’t give as much info as “favorable/unfavorable” for each of the candidates. Surely the pollsters can devise some way to ask this.

2 Likes

The real news here is that Bernie Sanders is polling very poorly in two states that are home games and must haves for him. Pete is a classic bubble candidate. No real constituency. People just kinda like the guy. With 4 or 5 white male candidates competing over a smaller slice of the electorate, the female candidates are going to rise and do quite well. The one who has to make a move though is Klobuchar. Iowa is an absolute must win for her if she has any chance at being the nominee. Getting the sense that she’s going to be a top VP choice though.

14 Likes

Butti-mentum

Okay, let’s kill this word right here, right now. @cameron_joseph

17 Likes

I heard a very impressive interview with him on NPR while I was on the road last weekend. I don’t know enough about his policy proposals yet to be a strong supporter, but he seems highly intelligent while able to frame things in an easily understandable way. That’s a real gift for a politician.

The nagging concern I have about him though, is how he wears his religion on his sleeve. As an Atheist, I have an instinctive distrust of politicians who use their religion to bolster their image. A highly intelligent politician who talks that freely about “his Creator” also makes me wonder just how genuine that is, or whether it’s an act to get by, in a country where people still expect their politicians to be religious.

Of course he’s not the only candidate professing to be religious, but he’s a little more up front about it than some of the others running.

5 Likes

:: scratches “Butti-licious” off list of possible slogans ::

Sigh.

9 Likes

I think you’re dead wrong about that. LGBTQA acceptance in the US has grown rapidly over the last 15 years in a way that I think nobody quite expected. There are still some 40% of us who are uncomfortable with it in one way or another, but I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that that same 40% are never going to vote for a Democratic candidate anyway.
I’m pretty sure Trump has the homophobic vote locked up.

15 Likes

It is still 11 months from March.

4 Likes

Fuck yes. I’ve got a stake.

15 Likes

Mayor Pete is a very compelling candidate. I like him a lot.

13 Likes