Discussion: Maria Butina Pleads Guilty To Conspiracy

The face of the earth is not all it’s cracked up to be?

3 Likes

Yeah that’s the one I was thinking of when I said the guy who was found dead.
“Unknown trauma to the head” but he was in poor health so his death wasn’t suspicious. SMDH

5 Likes

It’s OK. You can tell Walker doesn’t trust that woman to his left, nor the man to his right. You can tell, because his walleyes are watching them both very closely.

2 Likes

They do not understand Americans.

And it may be that it’s everyone everywhere they don’t get. They are so convinced that if they divide us we’ll kill each other. I don’t think so. Give us a natural disaster and we ignore who voted for whom and just rush to help. They simply don’t get it.

20 Likes

‘Political Party 1’ and ‘Gun Rights Organization’ are in big trouble.

27 Likes

I can’t wait until Michael Lewis writes the book!

5 Likes

The best is yet to come. Can’t wait till they roll up Kushnerd and Doofus Jr.

8 Likes

Usually, yes. But the NRA was a pretty useful conduit for Russian campaign financing. I can’t imagine Putin’s happy about bringing down the NRA. And if the GOP falls with them, then having the Democratic Party - with every reason in the world to be SUPER-PISSED at Putin - in charge of America isn’t going to help him much either.

So I suspect Butina may be greeted with rather less enthusiasm on her return than someone like Anna Chapman.

11 Likes

I bet her little black book is chock full of goodies. lol
Oh how I wish I could get a copy. lol

2 Likes

Republicans have a lot in common with Russians. They both believe in big, powerful government controlling everyone’s lives.

7 Likes

Ok, I know this has nothing to do with the story. But it’s bothering me: why the [sic] in

"determine where the focus of Russian interests lies [sic] in cooperating with the US.”

When Russians write English language without words “the” and “a”, like in this sentence, that is thing to criticize.

However I believe Butina has correctly conjugated “lies” in the quoted sentence – “focus” is singular.

3 Likes

Is there congruence between Republican candidates who received a lot of bucks from the NRA in 2016 Republicans who went all erectile dysfunctional on Russia? Did Trump threaten leading Republicans with exposure of the NRA’s corruption to bend their will? I’m just asking for my friend Robert.

6 Likes

You’re talking about the NRA, right? :smile:

5 Likes

Because it’s grammatically incorrect. It should read: “… where the focus of Russian interests lie …”, not lies OR “where the focus of Russian interest lies”, not interests.

The reporters used [sic] there because they don’t want to get tagged for the government’s typo.

Edited to Subtract / Clarify: See below.

4 Likes

It had to do with Driscoll but it was that Butina was having him talk to journalists despite the gag order. This (probably illegal) conduct on Driscoll’s part created an incentive for him to get her to cop a plea, so Chutkan appointed the publicly funded lawyer to counsel her about this.

See my above link to the Buzzfeed piece.

7 Likes

Wayne’s whirled.

5 Likes

I may be talking about all the witches. But the NRA for this thread, yeah. :smile:

4 Likes

But why? There are many interests but just one focus. Can’t I determine where it lies?

2 Likes

Losing an election doesn’t wash away one’s guilt. There’s plenty more to be learned about Walker’s involvement with the NRA and Russia.

5 Likes

I think I’m going to start stipulating when I suggest a scenario that it’s not the only one imaginable or most likely. It’s just, ya know, another one that might be plausible. I’m not fighting tooth and nail for it and against all others like a mother bear. Maybe Putin wanted to control the NRA but when the operation blew up he said fine, sowing mistrust is good too, chaos in general is good. Maybe he saw the NRA as a force for political stability, and without it there imagines the result could be actual unrest and people shooting each other in groups. Maybe he’s an alien from an Opposite Day universe and what’s bad for him is good for him. I dunno! It’s just cracker-barrel talk, really. Not you, but sometimes people seize on some idle chatter and demand you account for all the implications they see in it. It becomes less enlightening conversation and more like you’re drafted into a debating society and I would just as soon keep that to a minimum.

14 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available