Discussion: Lynch Admits Meeting With Bill Clinton 'Cast A Shadow' Over Emails Probe

Yeah, but your boss is meeting and campaigning with the lady herself. So, that’s not a shadow, but a full eclipse, I guess. Yet no one expects anything different.

1 Like

I myself do not have social meetings on the tarmac.

1 Like

Mox nix!

Come on we all know the “fix” is in!! Put on a good show though,Lynch!

2 Likes

It was the appearance of impropriety that is the problem, but if we applied this to everyone, not just the Clintons, what a different world we would live in.

18 Likes

Yet neither she nor Bill, nor any of the aides who were with them, could have seen that at the time?

Does not give me a lot of faith in their perspicacity or judgment. And, worse, it provides Trump and his people with a real talking point. If Loretta Lynch and Bill Clinton could not see that there was a problem, how much can the voter who’s not well connected trust the judgment of any official?

12 Likes

Is either Bill or Hillary Clinton formally, legally barred from contact with Loretta Lynch? If so, are they similarly barred from contact with everyone else working for the Justice Department?
What if Hillary wanted Lynch for her VP pick? Would she be unable to speak with her, vet her? This is all a bit silly. What if Hillary is elected and the investigation isn’t complete? Would Lynch be required to have a chaperone to speak with Hillary were she to stay on into the next administration? Obama wants Hillary to win the election. Is he barred from speaking to Lynch out of suspicion he may try to influence the outcome? Hell, every damned person working for the Democrat administration lilkely wants Hillary to beat Trump, are all Democrats employed by the White House, Congress and all the other Cabinet Departments precluded from speaking with Lynch? Lynch wants her elected, what’s she supposed to do?

32 Likes

I seem to remember VP Cheney meeting with executives of oil/gas and other companies behind closed doors in order to influence policy.

I don’t recall Republicans having an issue with that.

Not suggesting that’s what happened here. Just that this is merely an appearance of impropriety whereas the other was actual impropriety.

27 Likes

WTF was Bill thinking? This was avoidable.

10 Likes

Will this be the non-story that ushers in a Republican presidency? (There’s always one)

Speaking of shadows, do you know what casts a shadow?
All the Mexicans coming in and taking our Hibby-Jobbies!!!

Fuck your ramen; I’m not eating it!

3 Likes

Hillary was not involved, so why are you impugning her?

Tried to delete this post when I realized you did not mention Hillary. My apologies. Grabbed the wrong post.

Amen to that.

11 Likes

“she confirmed reports from earlier in the day that she would accept their recommendations on how the case should move forward after reviewing their findings.”

Maybe it’s just me, but this doesn’t look entirely reassuring—it’s the language somebody uses when they have to do something they don’t want to do.

5 Likes

do you fly much on private jets?

3 Likes

Bill Clinton knew she was to arrive and HE waited on her. What the fuck was he thinking? Yes, she should have decline to meet with him, but why would Bill put her and Hilary in such a position?

9 Likes

This is about two professionals who understand politics about as well as anyone. Let’s say they wanted to meet to discuss the investigation, let’s just say that. Would they do it on the tarmac for the world to see? Hello Loretta, this is Bill. I’d like to discuss the investigation with you so let’s meet in public view so everyone knows what we’re up to." Preposterous.

30 Likes

I understand what you’re saying, I feel it too, but the most likely explanation is that both Lynch and Comey really don’t want to have to deal with renewed pressure to appoint a special prosecutor and what would surely turn into an expensive, open-ended inquiry with no end in sight.

Based on everything I’ve read, there’s nothing to charge her with. We’ll see.

8 Likes

Put Bill in the closet, and after inauguration, put him someplace he cannot do harm.Where the hell is the laser focus on getting stuff done, and not doing stupid stuff that distracts? What happens during an HRC presidency when he does something stupid like this when she needs to bring the country around in a crises? Bill ought to start acting like Laura Bush and stay the hell back.

(Harry Truman learned this lesson during the Korean War, when he wrote an angry letter to a critic of his daughter’s singing while men were dying in Korea. You want to be in the public eye, you give up some of your private rights if you want to get the job done. Image counts.)

5 Likes

Yes, this is more Benghazzi!!!1!-style smoke & mirrors. But I also wish the HRC campaign had figured out more and better ways to get Bill to SHUT THE FRACK UP except when he’s told to speak.

JEEBUS.

11 Likes