Discussion: Luck Of The Irish: Paul Ryan Pushes For Influx Of Irish Visas In Nod To Ancestry

:joy:

3 Likes

If Ryan was ambassador to Ireland he’d probably lecture them about the Great Hunger being the fault of, in his words the “takers not the makers”

9 Likes

[Raises hand]

3 Likes

When I first saw this headline I thought it was The Onion…

3 Likes

This fookin’ disgrace has about as much in common with “the Irish” as John D. Rockefeller or J.P. Morgan. And I say that as someone whose Irish ancestry is 100%.

How does one say “Shanda fur di goyim” in Gaelic?

6 Likes

Ambassador to Ireland? No. Ambassador to North Korea? OK with me…

2 Likes

I saw footage last night showing ICE / Border Patrol officers emptying water caches left in the desert. It made me physically ill – I lived in the Chihuahuan desert for 27 years. Even this time of year it’s not a place I’d care to be without water.

If I were in charge, I’d find out who made the decision to empty the caches when they are found and I’d put them and every subordinate out in the desert in high summer for 12 hours without water.

7 Likes

More Irish folks in the US? I’m all for it if I get to listen to them talk.

1 Like

Wasn’t so long ago that the Irish weren’t considered the right people.
So Latinos hang in there as this too will pass.

4 Likes

How about that agent being dropped off at the Guatemalan border with only the clothes on his back and then told to fucking walk home and it better be under 12 weeks. Guatemala to Tijuana in 84 days? Only about 21 miles a day, that’s doable. Then when he reaches the border he hasta wait until they get around to stamping his passport and they hasta show up at a legal crossing point. Too bad if the port of entry is closed. Oh and the time frame is not adjustable…12 weeks. Or his family loses every last fucking dime and their kids get thrown in jail when he starts this journey. And the kids are put in a 4 by 4 cage with a mylar “blanket” and a used bag of chips like this kid who seems to be enjoying his stay courtesy of the United States Government…leader of the free world and who offers the “American dream”…

Can’t ya tell that kid’s just brimming with joy?
edit
My dog whom I love lives a far better life. This is just FUCKING WRONG!!!

8 Likes

Don’t kid yourself with the Brexit vote Ireland and Northern Ireland just might end up with one.

2 Likes

THe famine was the end result of the English land owners wanting to depopulate the countryside. During the famine Ireland exported food.

8 Likes

Sadly hilarious, since if Ryan knew anyone actually living in Ireland, a progressive society when compared to the US, they’d rightly look at his politics and tell him to feck off.

3 Likes

My grandmother came to the US from Ireland in 1881 and my grandfather in 1890. I have his citizenship document dated July 25th 1900. Hibernians have a proud history building America and fighting in it’s wars. The Irish keep coming and since they speak the language and have so many work opportunities from their their countrymen,they fit easily into our cities especially on the East coast. What Ryan probably doesn’t know is that many Irish come back and forth without any paperwork but a temporary visa. 5 hours on a plane it’s around the corner.
Don’t let Paul Ryan stop anyone from making a visit. It’s a fascinating country.

3 Likes

These days, with Ireland doing so well, adding thousands of new work visas for Irish nationals is a relatively minor thing. Well-educated young people coming from a prosperous western country is no threat to the USA.

Insofar as Ryan is Irish, he is a disgrace. But Ryan is American, not Irish. He is a poseur and, as Krugman says, a flimflam man, with his green tie and sad pint of Guinness.

But the real traffic might well go the other way: Soon, American women could be flying to Ireland to have abortions.

4 Likes

The are not his people, however much he wants to claim otherwise.

Find a bunch of lying assholes: those are his people.

Even? Especially if you are religious at all, very much including Catholic, dishonesty and deviousness should be expected.

I disagree. American craft beer is superb. 20 years ago the situation was different. Forget about the common watery stuff – doesn’t even count.

2 Likes

80s and 90s, same thing. Irish illegals all over the place. Some landlords used to like them particularly because they wouldn’t complain about code violations like no water.

2 Likes

Ryan would probably not approve of my grandmother coming to this country. Her Irish parents moved to PEI, and she was born there. I have no idea if she lived the rest of her life undocumented in this country. Mom once said something that made me think she was in the country illegally. What a racist, anti-Semite she was, my grandmother. So maybe Ryan would be okay with her.

5 Likes

fun fact, LBJ once courted Gregory Peck as ambassador to Ireland. Peck even said he might have seriously taken it. As if Peck wasn’t awesome enough.

Also, as someone of Irish descent who’s actually had Guinness there is no fucking way Ryan could last past the first sip. It’s too rich for his system. It’s like if someone liquefied bread it’s so dense

5 Likes

A story in my family concerns a local famine in Ireland. We were forced to watch the English drive our beef and dairy cattle down a road to a waiting ship bound for England. We were left with cabbage, some carrots, grass, and tree bark. That was the impetus for my relative starting a riot in Dublin in 1816 in front of the Post Office building and that was the reason he left for America. Seeing as he was a wanted fugitive.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available