Discussion: Kobach Will Consider Being Immigration Czar...But Only If His Conditions Are Met

Did the White House leak his rider list (no green M&Ms either!) to make him look like this much of an entitled d-bag? That is saying something coming from them…

2 Likes

Rick Perry may also be called upon next season when Trump launches Dancing with the Czars in case anyone in his cabinet has not yet been thoroughly humiliated.

6 Likes

I didn’t see the complete list. Did the request for white doves to be released on his entry and exit into the workplace make it in? As well as all staff averting their eyes as he passes?

3 Likes

Must’ve been an oversight. Along with a personal flag to be hoisted and lowered by his personal color guard whenever he enters or exits the premises.

Note: Working prototype. Not KKKris KKKobach’s actual flag.

4 Likes

The alternative

If it’s to be Cuccinelli instead as this czar, it’s not clear to me whether that’s good or bad compared to Kobach in that position.

Both are vicious idiots, but at least Kobach’s more extensive time in the spotlight has more thoroughly revealed him to be full-spectrum idiotic, idiotic in his chosen means to idiotic and vicious ends. This is a saving grace, that he wants evil ends but his incapacity blunts his ability to get there. He shares this saving grace with our demented president.

The biggest threat under our demented president is that some reasonably competent person whose ends are simpatico with Trump’s, will get his trust and support, circumventing the limitations of the harm a demented president can do without the assistance of a competent person. This danger seems especially threatening in the area of immigration, because the executive bureaucracy already in place in that area has proven itself amenable to the achievement of evil and vicious ends.

Cuccinelli, during his time in VA politics, was mostly a harmless buffoon, but he never got further than VA Atty Genl, and never had nearly as much chance as Kobach has had to show definitively competence vs incompetence.

What most concerns me is that Cuccinelli is a committed Tenther. Of course he was a solid Tenther at a time when Obama was president, so sure, that was probably just ideological opportunism. Now that we have an R president for whom he will be czar, the Tenther position on the relations between the states and the federal govt might seem positively embarrassing. After all, it’s going to be opposition from California and other states and localities that has the greatest potential to thwart the administration agenda.

My concern is that as someone who at least might have given some actual thought to the Constitution’s woefully outdated provisions for state-federal relations, Cuccinelli could go in for far more daring and dangerous hardball as a champion of federal power than as a fighter for state power. The 2nd and 10th Amendments, and Art IV, sec 4, were interpreted early in our history as making constitutional disputes between states and the federal govt not the proper subjects of judicial arbitration. No one appealed to the courts to decide on the constitutionality of the Alien and Sedition Acts, or the Tariff of Abominations, or secession. The idea of “political questions” that at least some disputes between the political branches should not be decided by the courts, seems to have extended to at least some disputes among the states and the federal govt. And in the absence of any means of settling such disputes in the courts, the accepted alternative was to settle them on the battlefield.

Adams couldn’t get legislation through Congress to mount an expedition against the states nullifying the Alien and Sedition Acts. Jackson was able to get a Force Bill to raise an army to invade South Carolina, but negotiations with that state got it to withdraw its nullification of the Tariff of Abominations before an actual invasion could be commenced. Lincoln, of course, both raised armies and actually invaded the Confederacy to vindicate the Supremacy Clause against the 2nd, 10th and Art IV, sec 4. In none of these conflicts did either side think that letting the courts decide the question was appropriate.

Should the federal govt under Cuccinelli claim that California and sanctuary cities are nullifying federal law and executive orders, we would of course expect that the issue would be appealed to and decided by the courts. But we now have a Federalist Society majority on the highest court. The Fed Soc is explicitly dedicated to frustrating the expectation that SCOTUS will not revert to the state of jurisprudence as it existed centuries ago. If SCOTUS chose to exercise jurisdictional modesty and bow out of any such dispute over the claim that California is nullifying federal law and executive orders as a political question, Trump would be left with no alternative for vindicating the Supremacy Clause apart from ordering federal troops to do the vindication.

Oh, sure, no rational conventional president would go for such a course of action. Unfortunately, we don’t have a president who is rational or bound much by convention. That leaves Cuccinelli as the decider. He’s probably a lightweight in all respects, someone who just used Tenther ideology as a convenience, has’t really thought much at all about the constitutional history of federal-state relations, so doesn’t see the potential for such a scheme now that he is on the federal side of the question, and so none of this will happen. But I do wish that we had more than probabilities to rely on, that we had repealed the 10th, and the 2nd, and Art IV, sec 4.

1 Like

Textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

1 Like

Personally, the font seems a bit blah. No pop!

2 Likes

First Kobach, then Cuccinelli, how many more vile miscreants will trump try to foist on the American people.

Rick Perry’s whole career can be summed up by designated survivor. That’s what he does. Mark my word, he’s the one that will emerge from the sewage pit of this administration, shake the crap off his shoe, and be hailed as the “real” Republican.

2 Likes

Ken Cuccinelli would be a good guess.

1 Like

Chain of Command question:
If Secretaries are all acting and unconfirmed, are they still in the chain of command? If not, what would the order be?

1 Like

Recipe instructions for a Flaming Asshole:

Ingredients:

• Kris Kobach
  • (Optional) 0.5 oz (1.5 cl) Crème de Bananes]
  • (Optional) 0.5 oz (1.5 cl) Crème de Menthe, green
  • (Optional) 0.5 oz (1.5 cl) Grenadine
  • (Optional) 0.5 oz (1.5 cl) Rum, overproof/151 proof

Can’t wait to have the Cooch to kick around again.

1 Like

It really says a lot when you’re too stupid, corrupt, and self-serving to function of the tRump maladministration. It’s an exceptionally low bar and Kobach can’t even meet it.

I am surprised that Kris did not ask for First Lady Iwanka to be available to him on that DHS or DOD plane at all times, with Cuck Kushner watching from the plane closet and also Hope Hicks to steam his pants after.

That is a most excellent question. The order of succession is set in 3 US Code 19. Paragraph 3(e) defines the scope of the act:

Subsection (d) shall apply only to officers appointed, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, prior to the time of the death, resignation, removal from office, inability, or failure to qualify, of the President pro tempore, and only to officers not under impeachment by the House of Representatives at the time the powers and duties of the office of President devolve upon them.
(Emphasis added)

So the statute is explicit: Acting Secretaries need not apply – they are not in the order of succession. The office would devolve to the first secretary in the defined order who was confirmed by the Senate prior to the incapacitation of the President. Today, that would be Secretary of State Pompous Asshole Pompeo. Secretary of Treasury Munchkin Mnuchin is second. The Secretary of Defense would be third, but he is (as yet) unconfirmed, so it would devolve to Attorney Trumpismo General Barr.

3 Likes

I made it through the third paragraph when the laughter plus huge dose of WTF got the best of me.

When your choice is between this loser and the Cucc, you’ve scraped the barrel so hard you’ve hit dirt.

2 Likes

Kobach as to be the most arrogant political sad sack in history (I’m sure there others but he’s gotta be in the top 5).

I mean having a law degree and not learning to try a court case early in his career to learn how to address a judge and run a basic legal case. Seems like a waste of tuition.

Bring him on. If Kansas can elect a Democrat who is also a women over KKK, then he won’t get his family’s votes on the national stage.

Seems like a waste of flesh and blood to me.

I’m surprised he didn’t ask for a Cone of Silence in the office as one prior cabinet official had.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available