Discussion: Kobach Needs Federal Approval For His Latest Kansas Senate Ploy

Discussion for article #227879

The DEMonRATS are BEing ANti-ConstiTutIONal and ANti-unAmerican. And THIS TruE coNserVAtive PAtriot ® IS no LONger STANDing for tHIS CRAZY LIBtard Ploy TO steAL eleCTIONS THE waY theY are SUPPOsed to!!11111one!1111!1

6 Likes

What an absolutely disastrous Secretary of State.

6 Likes

Kansas Klown Kris Kobach Kontinues Karrying On LiKe a Katastrophically Klueless Kardashian!

5 Likes

Just a reminder that Kobach is up for re-election.

7 Likes

Obfuscation, obstruction, delay… none of these are policies. They are temper tantrums thrown by a party that is utterly out of gas. Add Brownback’s woes and even conservatives in a deep red state have had it with the kiddie games that have run the state’s economy into the ground.

Voters know who did that.

6 Likes

At this point Kobach is just auditioning for his future job as partisan whackjob.

2 Likes

Rachel Maddow reported last night that he had gotten an 8 day extension from the DOJ.

1 Like

Don’t we know…What was your first clue?

I thought I heard that too. Not that he had to get it done that way, but that he already had.

My guess is that Kobach will now be working at legally trying to overturn the MOVE Act…and eliminate the entire pesky problem of federal rules on elections, as he sees it.

ALEC and Kobach are undoubtably considering this their next move. Anything to game the system…

2 Likes

Dude, just give it up.

2 Likes

This is what happens when you make it up as you go along…

3 Likes

I’m still trying to figure out what Kansas law says that the Democrats are required to field a candidate.

I’m wondering if Kobach is talking about this:

In order to maintain recognized status, a political party must field a candidate for statewide office who wins at least one percent of the total vote cast for such office at the general election. In 2010, for example, the statewide office for which the fewest number of votes were cast was Commissioner of Insurance. A total of 677,143 votes were cast for that office in 2010, meaning that a party’s candidate for that office would have had to win at least 6,772 votes in order for the party to retain state recognition. (Kansas Statutes, Chapter 25, Article 3, Section 2b)

If so, it sounds like he is interpreting that to mean that you have to field a candidate for every statewide office and win some minimum number of votes for each one. But that’s not what it says, and it seems to me it could just as well mean that you have to field a candidate for at least one statewide office – and the Democrats do have other statewide candidates running. (And I think that latter reading makes much more practical sense.)

6 Likes

ghost- are you on medication?

Let’s hope enough of them get past the partisan/tribal ID and vote accordingly.

New to TPM?

But there is a Democratic candidate, Jean Kurtis Schodorf, who is running for Kobach’s very own office (a statewide race) who will get at least 1% of the vote so even that nano-width reed he might be trying to cling to isn’t a viable.

Beyond all that, why would this partisan hack be fighting to keep the Democratic party recognition in the state?

3 Likes

Wow… in move after move, Kobach seems to be determined to show he really doesn’t doesn’t have a working grasp of the law at all.

1 Like

Yeah, I realize how crazy this sounds, but it just may be that scrupulous adherence to the law is no longer this guy’s top priority.

4 Likes