Discussion: Key Architect Of The GOP Tax Plan Isn't Talking About It Much On The Trail

1 Like

Of course he isn’t talking about it much on the campaign trail… He confines most of his discussion of the tax act to his fundraising, since that’s who it was designed to help… Only little people pay taxes.

12 Likes

He’s realized that it’s too complicated for the voters.

4 Likes

He doesn’t talk about tax reform because he doesn’t want to talk about that trillion dollar hole in the budget this tax package created.

8 Likes

Roskam is a right wing apparatchik. He helped write the tax bill that has screwed his constituents. If re-elected, Roskam will eagerly support gutting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid to help fund the tax bill. Casten is the right candidate at the right time. I gave him $25, and urge fellow commenters at TPM to help.

17 Likes

Touch the Third Rail? Not likely, after McConnell stated he’d go after social safety net to pay for Roskam’s give-away!!

4 Likes

LAKE IN THE HILLS, IL — Rep. Peter Roskam (R-IL) has predicted for
months that the GOP tax plan he helped craft would play a major role in
his reelection campaign. But with November fast approaching, it’s his
opponent who seems more interested in talking about the issue.
…
The real purpose of that tax plan was to kill the working people of America by transferring huge amounts of wealth to already rich folk and the gutting of Medicare and Social Security.
That’s the real plan and we are seeing the result in real terms. One trillion dollars a year is being added to the national debt annually.
Thanks GOP. The party of “fiscal responsibility.”

13 Likes

What’s the matter Peter? It did exactly what you wanted it to do. Money for the rich, crumbs for everyone else. That was the plan, right? You should be touting this. You should be singing its praises. Why aren’t you?

15 Likes

I’d like to see some fearless young reporter ask Yertle (McConnell) why he hates working people and why he wants to kill programs that don’t add to the National debt. Social Security runs on money from working people and not appropriations from Congress. Money for Social Security came out of every paycheck of mine and now that bastard from Kentucky wants to steal it. :rage:
btw: I don’t like calling people names generally. But in McConnell’s case I feel compelled to use them.

19 Likes

Nice writing Cameron Joseph. Actually better than most…Cameron, will you check out the .neighboring US Congressional DISTRICT, 14, MCHENRY COUNTY, IL. just as volatile. Please TPM check out the race between Lauren underwood (D) and randy hultgren®…Illinois 14th. Can Lauren Underwood get some ink by this TPM writer?

5 Likes

Another fire-breathing, fantasy-land supply-sider who extolls the virtues of massive deficits in order to enrich the robber barons, and destroy Social Security and Medicare. It’s not enough to dismantle Obamacare, he wants the elderly and poor crammed into the almshouse and gutter with the rest of us!

4 Likes

“I put my feet on the ground the day after Trump was elected… and just said ‘no, no, no,’” she told TPM.

But she said she voted for Gary Johnson. Personally, I find it a more effective strategy to put my foot and stop someone before they get elected rather than the day after. Maybe it’s just a liberal thing.

12 Likes

OT, but check out this abhorrent NYT apologist fail article…

1 Like

An issue that is emerging as a real problem for the GOP with swing voters as we move through these final 3 weeks is the deficit. I’ve seen that issue come up in every debate and local media piece over the past week. The reason it has political salience is because voters, especially WWC voters, seem to immediately recognize that the GOP would come after medicare and social security to fill a major deficit imbalance. This was the argument that Conor Lamb pitched to win the PA-18 special election. He made reference to it again in his debate yesterday and on twitter. Beto O’Rourke, Kyrsten Sinema, Jackie Rosen are also among those who have raised the issue. It may also be why Phil Bredesen’s campaign appears to be stabilizing post-Kavanaugh. But more importantly, it’s not Dems who are necessarily pushing this issue, it’s local media and local voters. I think this issue along with health care become very significant among the undecided voters and will likely overwhelm the culture war pitch (mainly through immigration) that the GOP is banking on to get their voters out.

There’s a lot of noise and nonsense in the national media (as well as some polls) but I think the trend is unmistakable.
I would expect more races to shift in the Dems favor as race is a diminishing factor in the voters’ minds.

18 Likes

The plan is clearly a disaster for all but Americas most wealthy…there wont be enough disingenuous lies to overcome that reality.

5 Likes

We should be using MItch McConnell going after SS and Medicare the same way the Repubs use Nancy Pelosi. We should have commercials of a dystopian future with 70-year-olds eating cat food while people are playing on yaughts in the background. She should be saying I always voted Republican because I thought they were the party of fiscal responsibility. I just didn’t realize they were going to use my money to pay their debts.

12 Likes

The Republican ad is really good. I wonder how it is playing in the district.

I was thinking about a very similar ad this morning aimed directly at my MAGA aunt and her friends.

1 Like

Exploding debt is not “billions saved”.

If it is, then why are Republicans trying to rob the savings of a generation?

5 Likes

The real question becomes ‘when are you wealthy enough??’ I mean that the very people you are depending on for food, medical care, education for your privileged spawn and yard work are NOT 1 percenters. If they are not part of the wealth circle, then as a rich person, all the money in the world won’t save you in a crisis.

4 Likes