Discussion: Kavanaugh Gives Merrick Garland A Shout Out In Opening Statement

The audience of one will like this performance so far - a little salt in the wound to kick things off.

14 Likes

That Kavanaugh, he’s a real pander bear.

8 Likes

"I don’t decide cases based on personal or policy preferences. I am not a pro-plaintiff or pro-defendant judge. I am not a pro-prosecution or pro-defense judge. I am a pro-law judge.”

Seems legit.

5 Likes

Ah yes. And memories of John Roberts and his pledge to be an umpire calling balls and strikes. Why, Roberts still wears cleats to opening day at the Court. (Not really.)

12 Likes

That “umpire” bullshit–again. BK could at least come up with some new bullshit for Kabuki Theatre.

19 Likes

Just a tactic… Don’t believe him. If you want to know the quality of the man, his past with Ken Starr speaks for itself

16 Likes

Nominated by the “Law and Order” president…

8 Likes

We seem to be moving to a sense of inevitability on a confirmation of Kavanaugh. That will probably give Trump a little temporary lift in the polls, but the real issue is the impact on the voters. It would seem to anger and energize Democrats much like the Clarence Thomas nomination did. Our first big wave of female politicians winning election happened in 1992 (it included the election of Senator Feinstein and Senator Boxer) following the Clarence Thomas confirmation. Kavanaugh is in the unique position of having scared the crap out of the white working class, women and people of color. From the GOP side, I think one might see a split. While social conservatives will be quite happy about Kavanaugh, suburban white GOP women are going to feel threatened by what Kavanaugh means for abortion. We’ve seen this movie before in the 90s. White women supported Bill Clinton and abortion rights were the major the driver of his support. So, overall, I expect voters to re-learn a tough lesson about the courts and get out and vote.

25 Likes

Tell that to the 17 year old girl who was held in an immigration detention center against her will, by Kavanaugh, to keep her from getting an abortion.

Rachel Maddow had the ACLU attorney, plus audio, of the hearing.

24 Likes

Surely if he’s willing to utter the name “Merrick Garland” he must be a basically OK person we can trust as a relatively young man in a lifetime position where he’ll almost certainly be sitting in judgment on the person who appointed him.

19 Likes

Too bad voters didn’t vote to keep trump out of office in the first place! I had many conversations with women, who didn’t “like” Hillary (which is a separate rant about professional women and cognitive dissonance about “like” another woman issue). They just didn’t think that the Supreme Court was an important factor.

10 Likes

A guy who’ll suck up to Trump, the way Kavanaugh did at his roll out, will say just about anything for ‘strategic approbation’. I wouldn’t trust this guy any further than I could drop kick an anvil in a peat bog.

26 Likes

That’s how he tells his buddies he told the Dems to F-off to their face. The gall on these righteous God-squad nincompoops.

7 Likes

Now that was a healthy dose of chutzpah…

Is he trying to gaslight congress?

14 Likes

Shows what an arrogant SOB he is.

11 Likes

No. He’s really saying, “We really fucked over Garland, libs, and he’s there and I’m here and I’m gonna be on the SCOTUS and it feels great to drink nutritious liberal tears.”

27 Likes

I guess it was lost in translation…

At what point is the SCOTUS rigging addressed by a 2nd amendment solution?

2 Likes

Neutrality huh? Ok, how about the case of the 17 yr old immigrant the gov’t prevented from seeing her doctor because she wanted an abortion.? You, Mr Kavanaugh did your level best to string the case out past the 20 week limit Texas imposes.
Impartial? Yah, sure.

15 Likes

I believe this is technically referred to as Rubbing Salt in the Wound.

FUCK Kavanaugh

12 Likes