Discussion: Kasich: If I Were King, I'd Ban Teacher Lounges So They Can't Complain

That has to rank in the top ten of dumb things a GOP candidate has said.*
*sticking to the 2016 candidates and not counting anything JEB has said.

8 Likes

You know what else we should get rid of besides teacher lounges and those pesky unions? That requirement that teachers have college educations.

If we could just hire high school grads to teach school, we’d save taxpayers a bunch of money, see?

10 Likes

Well,that is how it is in Bumfuck Ohio. I know … I am from there…but I had the good sense to leave as an 18 yr old.

3 Likes

first glance at headline & I swore it said - - Kasich: If I Were King, I’d Ban Teachers

I thought - wow - they are now just saying what ever is in their silly little heads!

2 Likes

I love the zig-zags the GOP tries on free speech rights where it comes to the workplace.

So let’s see … your First Amendment rights give you the power to refuse to do your job, if you are a county clerk and you oppose giving gay couples a marriage license. Got it. Religious liberty trumps your duties to the public and to your employer.

And certain types of corporations (like Hobby Lobby) can assert religious liberty rights to refuse certain regulations … and refuse to provide certain types of health care benefits based on their owners’ personal values. The GOP is all for that.

But at the same time, teachers don’t have the right to talk about their working conditions on the job site?

I guess your freedoms depend entirely upon who you are, what your viewpoints are, and where you stand on the employment food chain.

15 Likes

Kasich has made many such stupid statements. He vowed to end teacher’s unions with SB 5 and then tried to deny he was behind that legislation. He went off on a rant telling a crowd how dare a police officer would pull him over (there’s a video of this). He’s had numerous appointees quit or be fired for questionable actions- the latest is his #2 guy in the Dept of Education who actually erased poor performance marks for some of the states’s charter schools to protect their funding. He was fired after the state board of Education called him on it. It goes on and on with this guy. Let’s hope the national media does a better job vetting Kasich then the Ohio media who have blinders regarding this Governor…James, Columbus, OH

12 Likes

…prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Damn that 1st Amendment! Teachers shouldn’t be allowed to speak to each other, gather peaceably, or petition the Government over grievances.

So spake King Kasich I.

9 Likes

Luckily for us Mr Kasich, YOU will never be king of anything. And you might want to get some therapy for the superiority complex buddy.

4 Likes

There is no shortage of chutzpah within the GOP sphere, never mind all those lawsuits against the government - actually Obama, for ā€œtramplingā€ the constitution.

3 Likes

should be // (dripping spot-on sarcasm) … and I applaud you for it!

Alas the mainstream print and video media are too busy trying to convince us that their pool of anonymous sources have assured them that Hillary Clinton is in deep, deep trouble and will undergo explosive self-combustion any minute now.

10 Likes

And all this time I thought the GOP was for smaller government. Now they want to ban teacher lounges. Fucking hypocrites.

6 Likes

This kind of intellectual ignorance is why we DO NOT have KINGS anymore.

6 Likes

The ā€œsensibleā€ GOP candidate. Right, then.

9 Likes

As if that would stop teachers from complaining.

And what, exactly, does Kasich think they’re complaining about, I wonder? Larger class sizes, less money for textbooks and materials, pay and benefit cuts, lack of parental support, lack of support and appreciation from the governor of Ohio?

Oh, that couldn’t possibly be it. Oh, no.

Jerk. Why are republicans such jerks?

14 Likes

Between Kasich and Graham and Trump the GOPers are on a roll to peal back the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and thems is fightin’ words.!!!23!!one!!

Harrumpfh I say!!!

1 Like

You’ve reversed the causality. They are Republicans because they are jerks.

8 Likes

Let’s skip the high school diploma, and the teachers will be even cheaper.

Sounds like a Trumpism solution to me!

Walker and his buddies tried that in Wisconsin by slipping it into the new budget. "Under the change, anyone with relevant experience could be licensed to teach non-core academic subjects in grades six through 12. They would not need a bachelor’s degree and they could even be a high school dropout."

Luckily for us, it received scrutiny at the last moment when he also tried to strike at the fundamental values of representative democracy by striking down our Open Records Law. It was all done in the late of night during the 4th of July weekend. The press caught on and the enraged public took over, as a result both items were removed from the budget.

http://www.startribune.com/wisconsin-may-be-first-to-license-teachers-without-degree/305380021/

9 Likes

Earth to kasich-you’re running for president, not king! This is a democracy.

2 Likes