Discussion: I Read An Oregon Militiaman's Post-Apocalyptic Cowboy Thriller So You Didn't Have To

No, they have faith in the American People. They just don’t believe that most of us are “Real Americans”.

2 Likes

live off the land? way harder than you think…just because you go off and kill a deer once or twice a year isn’t a skill that will help you survive… its hard work skinning and butchering… think about having to do it every 2 or 3 days… on top of that you have to go away from your living area… killing things close to home (easy) just means that game will avoid your area… no you have to hike and track it down and THEN drag it back… and again, as you branch out the game moves away…

Not to mention all the other people also trying to survive off the same landscape, which means the available game would be hunted to near-extinction (if not actual extinction) in short order.

One thing that strikes me about these survivalist-type dystopian futurist novels is that, unlike most dystopian fiction, the message is not so much about “here’s what will happen to society if we collectively make the wrong decisions, and it’s going to be horrible in such and such ways, so let’s be sure not to make the wrong decisions,” it’s more like “here’s what’s gonna happen, and yeah it’s gonna suck for most people, but in the end it’s gonna be awesome for the heroic super-American super-patriot, super-survivalists who do manage to survive, thanks to stocking up on enough ammo, beaver pelts, etc.”

7 Likes
2 Likes

Who knew #YeeHawdists could scribble?

1 Like

I read about this book last night and what struck me was how very violent this man’s fantasies are. Mainly it sounds like he just kills people right and left in the book -that’s the main idea of the stupid book and I find the author scary. He sure has an itch for killing people.

4 Likes

Of course. Why do you think these nutcases love guns?

TPM:

In the book, the NSA keeps a database of anyone who “bought three or more guns in the the last five years,” “anyone who bought more than five hundred rounds of ammunition,”…

Well, someone should be tracking them.

3 Likes

Send him a copy of “The Road”…

3 Likes

These people are sick, sick, sick!

My amygdala wears a tin foil hat anytime it gets within wavelength range of FN.

4 Likes

LaVoy Finicum:

“A twinge of guilt pulled at me. What would dad think with me showing up at the ranch with so little food? Of course he would say nothing and in no way try to make me feel like I had let him down. Bu I had. How many timed had he told us kids to lay up stores and supplies?”

That brings up an interesting angle I hadn’t thought of before: How much of modern conservativism is driven by angry white men fantasizing that the world is going completely to shit just so they can hear their smart-ass liberal kids say, “Okay, Dad, you were right.”

5 Likes

At what point in this novel, do the two cowboys snuggle up in the same sleeping back together? … Or is that another book?

6 Likes
2 Likes

6 Likes

" ‘Bu I had. How many timed had he told us kids to lay up stores and supplies’?"

I envy the writer here reading books written and edited by the illiterate. It’s fun guessing what the author meant to write. If the Times was not so elitist it would have rated this book at the absolute top in its category: “Armed govmint building squatter tomes guaranteed to gin up the paranoia”

Here’s the list of their “urgent supply needs”! I have a hard time getting through the list; every time I get to “Miracle Whip” I can’t stop laughing:

Lot like the list George Washington sent out for resupplies at Valley Forge, huh? rotflmao

6 Likes

You don’t understand, the people had to band together and help
each other lynch that damn government official who was trying to make them band
together and help each other.

4 Likes

“Queen sized bed sheets” ? How many queens are they ?

What is “Chew Copenhagen” ? As a Dane I must admit I never heard about it. .

EDIT: Googled it, Snuff/Chewing Tobacco, very butch indeed…

5 Likes

I just glanced over at “oven cleaner” and “tampons” and began to laugh again! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

When I was about 12 years old I had such fantasies of surviving nuclear war and the collapse of society. That was when bombers loaded with nuclear weapons were continuously overhead in central NY, from out of Rome Airbase. Thought about it a lot, knew where I was going to go, but never could figure out the long term sustainability and came to the realization that it would likely not be worth it. Better to work really hard to keep society working for all of us.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available