Discussion: House Freedom Caucus Endorses McCarthy Challenger For Speaker Nominee

Discussion for article #241516

This internecine knife-fight would be entertaining if it weren’t dragging the credibility of the U.S. government through the sewers and making the notion of representative democracy some kind of joke.

29 Likes

This is so me right now…

28 Likes

Man, you´re not at all like I pictured you from your posts.

23 Likes

She’s just a little younger and a little pinker. Just a little. lol

17 Likes

I believe that train has already sailed. Or something…

10 Likes

I try to be an optimist, but it ain’t easy.

8 Likes

Wait – this guy’s only been in Congress since 2011?

Sweet Baby Jesus, I have stuff in the back of my fridge with more seniority than that.

39 Likes

Can someone explain what happens if no one gets to 218?

3 Likes

Never mind that. Over on Raw Story there’s this:

"I think most untrained people are either going to freeze up, or just whip out their gun and start firing in that circumstance.”
- Retired Army Sgt. Rafael Noboa y Rivera

2 Likes

Oh, I think indiscriminate bombing of war zone hospitals and Afghan wedding parties has cemented the U.S. as pretty much the joke that it is. Pouring a trillion dollars down the Afghanistan/Iraq rat hole instead of taking care of our own pressing domestic needs was another nail in the coffin. Chuck it in the ditch and kick some dirt on it. Good riddance.

6 Likes

The Rapture?

18 Likes

They’re not “hardliners,” they’re extremists. There’s a difference.

10 Likes

Can someone explain what happens if no one gets to 218?

Boehner stays put.

4 Likes

Before getting elected to the U.S. Congress, Webster was THE longest serving state legislator in Florida history. And he was (finally) term-limited, so it was run for Congress or retire. He tried for the U.S. Senate in 2004, so running for the House in 2010 was about all he had left.

He is, of course, the Duggar Family guy. He’s actually RELATED to the Duggars. He’s ‘their’ guy. And he’s every bit as awful as that suggests.

20 Likes

Prediction: McCarthy wins the Speakership on the third ballot when the Democrats vote “Present”

You heard it here first, folks.

1 Like

I can’t imagine Webster ever attracting enough votes to actually become Speaker–he’s just way too out there in Reich-wing Christian Taliban land.

However, by holding tight the Freedom Caucus’ bloc of votes, he could effectively thwart McCarthy, and force the GOP conference to ask Boehner to consider staying on, which is so ironic because the Freedom Caucus are the guys who wanted Boehner out in the first place, and it would be their intractability that would lead to his return as Speaker. Too funny!

16 Likes

I think the kid wanted some biscuits too.

1 Like

I suspect you’re right. McCarthy’s being Speaker is the only way the debt ceiling rise and the next year’s budget gets thru the House, and then he’ll retire from active politis to spend more time with his lobbying clients, uh, family.

McCarthy is now a multipurpose goat: for blaming, for stalking and for sacrificing, and from there into Wingnut Welfare. The Chamber of Commerce desperately wants the debt ceiling rise and a budget and to them the Freedumbers are simply an obstacle to be overcome.

5 Likes

It’s said that history repeats itself, first as tragedy and then as comedy. I will remind everyone that the Honorable Mr Webster is not the first American political figure to carry that name.

The previous Daniel Webster was a Senator and twice Secretary of State (under Presidents Harrison, Tyler and Fillmore). He was voted one of the five greatest Senators in the history of the U.S. Senate.

This a$$hat disgraces the name. So perhaps political names occur twice, first as distinguished and second as disgraceful. The other examples that come to mind immediately are the Presidents John Adams and George Bushes. JQ Adams wasn’t really disgraceful even if he wasn’t his father. GHW Bush wasn’t really distinguished even if he wasn’t GW Bush.

So perhaps analogies can be pushed too far.

3 Likes