Discussion: History Repeats Itself: How Corruption Nearly Killed The NRA Twice

As if you would expect anything different for that den of thieves and grifters.
Selling lies is their job.
Give me a call when they’re small enough to drown in a bathtub

40 Likes

Hopefully the third time is the charm?

17 Likes

When evil self-owns, the good may smile. Bwahahahaha!.

8 Likes

The love of money is the root of evil.

13 Likes

The tax filings of the NRA, including the take of Ackerman McQueen and Mercury, and the NRA’s lackadaisical board oversight and kickback schemes quite well mirror GOP oversight of Trump and his looting of the national coffers. The amazing thing about the GOP or the NRA is how they seem to have found endless supplies of suckers.

The 2017 tax filings, prepared at Cummins’s direction, gave the first full accounting of how much the N.R.A. was paying Ackerman McQueen and its affiliates: $40.9 million, or about twelve per cent of total expenses that year. Federal regulations require very limited disclosure of how much nonprofit organizations pay their venders, so in previous years the N.R.A.’s filings had not disclosed payments to Ackerman’s affiliates, or any payments that were meant to reimburse expenses. These omissions were probably substantial. The 2017 filing acknowledged a payment of $5.6 million to the Mercury Group, which, despite years of close association with the N.R.A., hadn’t been mentioned in any previous filings.

11 Likes

Boy. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Twice.

5 Likes

Grifters gonna grift.

I’m just surprised NRATV doesn’t have Glenn Beck trying to get conservatives to invest in gold plated AR15s.

7 Likes

4 Likes

I have see too many horror movies. These days, you can never really kill off the monster. (It may have been started by Hammer, and its long string of increasingly ridiculous Dracula movies, made bearable only by the somewhat mixed pairing of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, who brought class to everything they did.) There is always a way to bring it back for another sequel as long as it generates cash.

3 Likes

And how many members of Congress regularly promote their A+ ratings from the NRA, did they have to cough up some dough to buy them?

12 Likes

The Russian money/financing stopped after all the Mueller publicity, but not the grift. Hence the financial difficulties.

7 Likes

Grifters gotta grift. Notice that these problems happen when fundraising is down. When the money is flowing they are all best buds. When the money dwindles they start fighting for more than their share of a diminishing pie.

11 Likes

From an objective point the amazing thing about the NRA and the cult of the gun in general is how much of it is simple market branding, that is market branding of a culture that is sold to certain US citizens to enrich certain particular individuals. This culture is something this group literally made by branding.

Obviously, the collapse of this business model and brand would do this country a world of good.

9 Likes

god, i really hope to see the NRA go tits up finally.
would be great to see that venomous a-hole loesch have to go find real work. such a fucking grift all around.

7 Likes

They became the National Russianlovers’ Association for the same sorts of reasons The Rump crime family did. Legitimate hunters and marksmen figured out the scam long ago: a $45 membership gets you your choice of a $5 gas-station pocketknife or Family Dollar gym bag, plus $10 worth if ads to make you look like a tool who brings his Bushmaster to Bed Bath and Beyond, plus $30 to line the syndicate leader’s pocket.

7 Likes

From their cold dead hands?

You’ll know it’s serious when we start getting leaked stories about the perks that those tens of millions funded.

4 Likes

Why are they tax exempt in the first place?

10 Likes

I have encountered Bill Brewer several times over the course of my career as a civil litigator in Texas, and each time he was backing a plaintiff in what amounted to a big-money grift. So it makes perfect sense that the NRA grifters would hire him to go after the Ackerman grifters. He’s pretty good at legal grifting.

9 Likes