Discussion: GOPers *Swear* They're Not Worried About The Trump-Schumer Meeting

Nobody cares how you “feel,” you incompetent grifting legislative asshole.

6 Likes

“This President is a big boy, he can take care of himself,” said Sen. David Perdue (R-GA),

LOL – Even when they’re trying to praise the President, they end up talking about him like a child.

Who’s a big boy? Who’s a big boy? YOU’RE a big boy! Now eat your vegetables…like a big boy!

11 Likes

He is another contender for the Best Backpfeifengesicht award

3 Likes

Leader McConnell tweeted a video in which he says, “Lets come back to reality”.

I tweeted to Leader McConnell:

Surely you jest. The reality is that the GOP will be blamed for what will be called the “shthole shutdown", or, if you will, the "shthouse shutdown”. There are bipartisan bills that could pass in both houses if GOP leaders brought the bills to the floor for a vote. Do your job!

10 Likes

Cotton. What a nasty jerk. He has attacked EVERYONE, both sides, who doesn’t buy into his particular brand of BS. Cruz is laying low this time. Could it be that Cruz is running for re-election and Cotton is not? WHY do GOPpers have to be such mean muthafkers?

4 Likes

Perdue sounds hysterical.
His comment was hilarious.

7 Likes

I find myself hoping there is a shutdown until Monday just so rump can’t go to his party and play pin the tail on the donkey.

3 Likes

You flatter Sen. Cotton unnecessarily.

7 Likes

It’s in their genetic makeup.

1 Like

Cotton is another example of what happens to youngish GOP senators with presidential ambitions who fly too close to Trump. See: Rubio, Marco.

7 Likes

I speculated on this in another thread, but the problem would of course be that if Donnie did reinstate DACA with an Executive Order, he could just as easily recancel it again the next day, once the various Odious Deplorables had a chance to catch up with him on the back nine with a pen and a blank sheet of paper. I’d speculated that they could use this mechanism just to get to a longer term (beyond four weeks) budget deal, but frankly if I were Shumer and Pelosi, I’d trust nobody and let things burn.

BTW, I was fortunate enough to find this wonderful video that the Republicans have prepared explaining what went wrong here. I understand their plan is to release it at midnight tonight, but figured participants here might appreciate seeing a prerelease copy:

6 Likes

Their derision had left him aghast,
But, he knew that it just wouldn’t last.
“They poke fun at my spelling,
With all of their yelling.
But, soon, even this will have past.”

4 Likes

As always, there’s plenty of tax dollars to pay for the biggest welfare organization in the US: The Military. We can find unlimited funds for killing brown people, but ask for a dollar for universal health care, public education, infrastructure repair, science research, and you can hear the cynical laughter a mile away. DACA is like poison to the heartless GOP. Kids who are probably smarter than 90% of the clowns in Congress are being threatened with deportation. Holy crap, to deport all the republican congress turds would be some sort of Utopian dream.

3 Likes

The most likely scenario, IMHO, is that McConnell/Ryan don’t bring the Durbin-Graham bill up for a vote and instead successfully push Trump to issue a new EO kicking the can down the road on DACA. McConnell and Ryan then concede to Dems on CHIP and a budget is passed. GOP campaigns on 2018 on the themes of tax cuts, claim credit for the economy in Year 2, and subtly push deportation in red states and live to fight another day.

An alternative scenario is that Javanka convince Trump that his slight upward movement in the polls (from around 36% avg to 38% avg) could go higher if he agrees to sign the compromise with a Dream Act in exchange for some nominal expansion of funding for a border wall. Javanka would tell Trump (and I believe they are telling Trump this) that with the economy doing well and the tax cut poised to put more money in people’s pockets in 2018, that Trump doesn’t need to do much to improve his standing and save the GOP Congressional majority. However, shutting down the government and screwing Dreamers would cost him dearly.

I think such a bill might die in the House just like Bush’s compromise immigration plan and Obama’s Gang of 8 bill did. I think deportation of the 11 million undocumented immigrants with no exceptions is now as important to the GOP’s nativist base as the pro life and anti-gay positions are to the pro-life/social conservative base.

However, unlike the pro-life/anti-gay base, the nativist base’s size is actually somewhat amorphous. It exists, but we just don’t know the size of it, or the commitment of Trump voters to specific hard right Cottonista positions. I know many Trumper Republicans who choose to interpret Trump’s racist rhetoric through their own interpretative filters. Many interpret his immigration rhetoric as a call to have some reasonable checks on immigration, but would exempt Dreamers and people who’ve been here a while from that. They expect Trump to use brinksmanship to negotiate a position and then concede on that point in exchange for ending what they view to be unfettered immigration policies. They’re enamored of this theory that Democrats only support undocumented immigrants because they see votes and that if the tables were turned and undocumented immigrants leaned Republican, then Democrats wouldn’t care about them. That’s their rationalization for supporting Trump. They trust his methods and tactics to break through what they view as Democratic pandering and get what they view to be a more rational immigration policy. There’s a similar view on trade. Lots of these people have supported the GOP’s free trade positions in the past, but think that somehow Trump’s brash rhetoric and methods are going to get a good deal. That belief in Trump has waned on the NAFTA issue, as Trump seems to be backing off based on concerns from some of his supporters. They give Trump license, but on issues like health care and trade, they’ve shown a willingness to pull that license back.

On this issue, I think a false step from Trump on immigration will very likely end his Congressional majority and end his Presidency. We’ll see if he has a political survival instinct to match his survival instinct when it comes to staying out of jail.

7 Likes

6 Likes

Sen. Joe Donnelly (D-Indiana) just caved, said he’ll vote for the CR. Way to undercut your own leader while he’s still negotiating. Donnelly joins Manchin the the Circle of Shame.

Coincidentally…or not…Donnelly’s announcement came shortly after a CNN poll saying that

Still, 56% overall say approving a budget agreement to avoid a shutdown is more important than continuing the DACA program, while just 34% choose DACA over a shutdown.

Interestingly, 47% of these same respondents said they would blame Trump or the GOP Congress, compared to 31% who would blame Democrats. (10% would blame all three).

2 Likes

McConnell needs to get to 60 yes votes. He needs more than two Democrats to offset the Republicans who say they will vote no. Just a guess but Schumer may have given both the OK to vote yes.

6 Likes

More importantly, McConnell needs more than two Democrats to pass the CR, even if he gets every Republican (I don’t trust any of them to stick to their “no” vote, and even less so if they ended up being the deciding vote).

I believe McConnell needs at least 9 Democrats (more if any GOP defections actually materialize). He has only 2 so far. At the moment there are just (barely) enough Democrats who haven’t publicly committed, who could potentially vote with McConnell without reversing their current public stance. Then there are still a bunch more who are “leaning no,” but not firmly committed, at least not publicly.

2 Likes

A lot of the wafflers are from Trump-friendly districts. One who is not, is Dianne Feinstein:

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (California) – She told CNN Thursday afternoon that she had not made up her mind yet. “I don’t know how I would vote right now on a CR, OK?” However, her office earlier in the day put out a statement saying she would oppose it. "I said in December that I wouldn’t vote for a CR without the Dream Act, and I won’t do so now.

Got that? Her office put out a statement earlier saying she would vote no. Then she says she doesn’t know.

And since then her latest comments (at least the latest I heard) were about how shutdowns are very dangerous because “accidents happen, people die.”

What in the name of Almighty Cthulhu is she playing at?

I don’t know, but why don’t you keep trying to read her mind or figure out what the strategy is?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available