Discussion: Ginsburg: My Criticism Of Kaepernick Was 'Inappropriately Dismissive'

1 Like

C’mon, Notorious RBG, don’t give the RWNJ’s any ammo…

Still love ya…

6 Likes

Yes, it was. Thanks for clarifying.

13 Likes

She must have read Kaepernick’s response to her criticism. He was very classy. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/colin-kaepernick-rbg_us_57ff56ade4b0e8c198a62512

10 Likes

I was surprised when I heard the interview. But I also was taken aback at how frail she is. Just as well Hilliary will be ready to apoint judges soon. It is striking how elderly the judges and politicians are in the US.

1 Like

Short story… maybe we need more black justices.

6 Likes

Clarence isn’t enough? :-}

5 Likes

The 49ers game this Sunday will be against the Bills whose coach somebody Ryan is an outspoken trump supporter, even introducing him at a rally. Kaep’s going to need all the support he can get…

@maximus Ginsburg was asked how many women she’d like to see on SCOTUS. She said nine.

11 Likes

More, but at least a different one

3 Likes

Ginsberg did the right thing today, but she and others might want to read the third stanza of the anthem…which is never sung. It is a call for violence against runaway slaves who fled to the British during the War of 1812. The British promised them freedom. Not sure whether Kaepernick knew about the actual context of the anthem being writte, as few do, but he probably does now and Ginsberg should deepen her understanding of it. The war of 1812 was an imperial effort to take Canada from Britain, itself an imperial country. Slaves were considered the property of slave holders, not really humans. The Americans wanted their property back.

9 Likes

Good for her. I respect the fact that she clarified. I suspect she’d only heard a snippet about the protests, knew very little beyond the fact that Kap isn’t standing, and simply gave a grossly uninformed response. We all do it. She’s forgiven.

10 Likes

Good on ya RBG!

6 Likes

I used to think of him as a bit of an idiot, but I see that I was wrong. He’s actually incredibly thoughtful.

11 Likes

I had no prior opinion on him at all - except to think the people who were throwing hissy fits were just drawing attention to his protests - but that response really was classy, as noted above.

5 Likes

I heard an interview with her on PBS last sunday. I was shocked, really. Her voice was 1/2 octave lower than I remember. She had a very small lisp on sibilants. She is 83, and I wonder if she had a very small stroke. Her frequency lately of making comments that she has to retract later is concerning.

3 Likes

Justice Ginsburg: “My comments were inappropriately dismissive and harsh.”

And that is how an adult behaves in public life.

Not above mistakes, but able to admit them freely, and take responsibility.

The anti-Trump.

Eight more of her, please!

26 Likes

Why on earth would she apologize for noting that little Donnie is a fake? That is a well known, well proven fact, and facts do not require apologies. She did suffer a brain nap when she spoke about a NFL player who is just exercising his right to free expression. But, I’m almost as old as she is, so I know our brains do take naps occasionally.

4 Likes

I love RBG, she’s been a wonderful Justice. These new disinhibitions of hers, though, are a bit concerning.

There is a good chance that we will have a narrow Senate majority from 2017-18 - and a similarly good chance that we may lose it in Jan 2019. I hope that, as an 83-year-old two-time cancer survivor with some coronary artery disease issues, Justice Ginsberg very carefully considers when it might be best to retire gracefully and secure her legacy.

5 Likes

Yes it was. NOT because you believe people should stand for the flag or the anthem but because as one who interprets the Constitution for us you know that it protects us all no matter WHAT our personal beliefs are. Thank you for the clarification.

4 Likes

Oh, I so love and admire this woman! Sure she can make mistakes and missteps; can’t we all? But she is able and willing to correct course and mitigate damage whenever needed, and do so without excuses or whining or blaming anyone else. We should be so lucky as to get some more like her on the SCOTUS! Or anywhere else in our government, for that matter.

5 Likes