Discussion: Gillibrand Marks Official Start Of 2020 Campaign With 'Brave' Video

Of the women running, I think Harris is the one with the potential to win it all.
But nobody knows nothing yet - at this point in '07 I am pretty damn sure most people thought Hillary would be the front runner all the way.

4 Likes

LOL. Thanks!
I mean, they do have me thinking.

Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton went to Yale Law School. Graduated 1973. Clarence Thomas went to Yale Law School, graduated 1974. Anita Hill went to Yale Law School, class of 1980. Brett Kavanaugh went to Yale Law School, 1990.

There could be a conspiracy theory in there. Somewhere. But its been decades since I used the kind of drugs necessary to nail it down.

4 Likes

Governor Newsom was happy to talk about her and endorse her the other eve on Maddow. They go way back over the decades, heā€™ll be out there while sheā€™s campaigning, and if there are two more attractive people in politics with big brains, I donā€™t know who they are.

3 Likes

Fixate on six degrees of separation, it might make sense then.

1 Like

No shit. He is almost too good looking for politics. hahahaha The two of them together will be lit.

1 Like

Fair to say that, at this point in '07, most people would have bet on 2008 being a HRC/Giuliani match up.

2 Likes

I could argue that there are two such people named Michelle and Barackā€¦ :grin:

3 Likes

Good ad but climate change wasnā€™t mentioned and barely alluded to in the millisecond flashcard on science denial. No one who fails to put that at the top of their policy-goal list makes the primary cut in my neck of the woods but she may add that as time moves on so weā€™ll see. Needless to add though, if sheā€™s nominated, Iā€™ll vote for her and every other down-ballot Democrat in the general.

1 Like

Why?

I want equal numbers of man and women running. If there is a sexist vote and there are a lot of women running but only a few guys running, then a guy will get it. And vice versa.

1 Like

They are the gorgeous big brained couple emeritus.

1 Like

There are six women running, some can automatically be discounted namely Gabbard and Williamson and soon enough maybe Gillibrand. Weā€™d then be left with three, Harris, Klobuchar, and Warren. At the same time there are nine men actively running with none discounted, yet.

Iā€™m no mathematician, but I donā€™t like the odds.

1 Like

If youā€™re saying I wasnā€™t thinking strategically, youā€™re right. I wasnā€™t trying to game out the sexist vote, for example.

I simply meant that the more women run for office, the more likely other women are to (be able to) go down the same the road. In the long run Iā€™d like to see a politics less dominated by testosterone and more reflective of female experience and priorities.

The subject deserves a lot more discussion, and certainly a lot more than I can provide at the moment.

1 Like

I pay attention, but I donā€™t know who Williamson is.

1 Like

What was her undervote in the last election. I did not vote for her or for anyone for senate. I have a feeling I was not alone.

So, I assume she received fewer votes that others on the democratic ticket.

Does anyone know??

A huge undervote would be bad news.

1 Like

Some of those men wonā€™t last very long in a field this large. There will be a scramble for donor money, and it will be split into smaller chunks than usual. I think it might become clear fairly soon who has the financial legs to make a serious run with extensive travel, early media ads, and so on. I donā€™t like the idea of bought elections, but this will be a factor at some level. It always is.

Biden (if he runs), Bernie, and Beto will have good financial support. The rest, I dunno. Probably Booker will do okay at first. Buttigieg is in a unique slot and heā€™ll probably continue to get small donor support. The rest of the males ā€“ Hickenlooper, Inslee, Castro, Ojeda, Delaney, Yang (am I forgetting someone?) donā€™t seem to me to have the ā€œitā€ factor needed for a front-runner, or the likely financial support.

The odds still arenā€™t great in a strictly math sense for the women, but I think there is such a strong desire now to see a woman either at the top or as a VP that theyā€™ll have a built-in advantage, both in the debates and in the polls.

1 Like

Senator Klobuchar had a much more measured response re Franken and it was the judgment I would like to see in a President. Due process is important. She is stable and honest.

It is odd there had never been a good journalistic story on the Al Franken accusers and Fox News and a album of all the photos on the USO tours etc. Maybe some day. Swift boat again.

3 Likes

Best way I can describe her is as a new age self-help author and paid speaker. In other words, a candidate going nowhere.

3 Likes

@spencersmom

Marianne Williamson, 66

Self-help author, new age lecturer
Democrat

ā€œWe need a moral and spiritual awakening in the country ā€¦ Nothing short of that is adequate to fundamentally change the patterns of our political dysfunction.ā€
The author of more than a dozen self-help and spirituality books.

Ran for Congress as an independent in 2014, and lost.

Championed the rights of gay men with AIDS, founding a charity that now supplies meals to people with serious illnesses.

SIGNATURE ISSUES: Has proposed $100 billion in reparations for slavery, with $10 billion to be distributed annually over a decade for economic and education projects.

What you say all makes sense. But I disagree that any of the women in contention would even think about Veep. Itā€™s the road to oblivion. With the exception and the bizarre case of VP Gore winning but yet not winning, no Veep has become president since Poppy.

2 Likes

IOW a run for the grift opportunity?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available